“Little bit let down, but food stil great” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Aus
“Little bit let down, but food stil great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Our second visit to Water's Edge last night, for my wife's birthday treat. Food was fantastic, the mushroom starter I had was out of this world.
Slightly let down by the service. They gave my son in law "Absolut" vodka, not "Ardberg" Scotch, and the service was a bit on the slow side with very long waists between courses.

On arrival, my mother in law specifically requested a split bill, drinks/food, as she was paying for the drinks. This didn't eventuate, and the waiter was a bit huffy when asked to change it, (this require a phone call from him to some one (!)

Still the star of the evening was the food, as it should have been, and i cannot fault any of the courses we had.

• Visited September 2013

sydney,australia
“a special experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We chose this place because it was not too far from our hotel, was open on a sunday night and had an interesting menu. Not only do you get fabulous food with a view over the lake but the wait staff were delightful .They were knowledgeable, enthusiastic and had bundles of personality. The atmosphere was professional but unstuffy. Everything we sampled on the menu was delicious but the stand outs for me were the mushroom cappuccino entrée and the passionfruit soufflé dessert.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canberra, Australia
“A fantastic night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was my first visit. We were a family group of nine celebrating a special birthday in an area which could be screened off for privacy. The folding doors also cut down the (minimal) noise from the rest of the restaurant, which really helped an older deaf person to enjoy herself. There were four courses, with choices for each course, for a flat price per head. Vegetarian options in each course. The servings were small, so we had plenty to eat, without being over-stuffed. The food was simply wonderful. A great variety of taste sensations. Cooked to perfection. Looked beautiful on the plate. Even my mother, who very rarely enjoys restaurant food, said it was excellent. Anyone who knows her would recognize that this was high praise indeed! Thank you Water's Edge for a most enjoyable evening. Looking forward to another visit with just the two of us next time.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canberra
“Lovely night out to celebrate a special occasion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is one of the few fine dining restaurants in Canberra that are open on Sundays. Having been to Courgette a few times (all enjoyable experiences), I've been wanting to try the food at Water's Edge for a while so I was very happy to learn that my mother had organised a dinner booking to celebrate my birthday. The food was delicious and quite well presented, though we were quite disappointed at the time it took for our third course to be served (The timing for the first, second and fourth course was fine). We were at the restaurant for 2.5 hours (from when we walked in). We had no problems with the service at all - the staff were very accommodating and attentive. Overall everyone enjoyed their meals and had a lovely night out. I would definitely go again (though maybe just with my husband).

A couple of things to note -
1) The restaurant had changed their menu to be similar to Courgette - Water's Edge offers a 3 course menu for $60 for lunch and 4 course menu for $80 (dinner) from Monday to Saturday, with lunch and dinner at $66 and $88 respectively on Sundays (10% 'surcharge'). The restaurant obviously hadn't changed the prices on their system to be in line with their current menu offerings as we were overcharged. The restaurant really should make sure someone checks all the bill before they give it to the customers - a quick skim of the bill drew my attention to a surcharge of $51.80 (since we were dining on Sunday, it would be expected the 'surcharge' would actually only be $48). I did a quick calculation of how much it should actually cost us for the night and I must admit the overcharge was not significant enough for us to bring it up so we just left it.

2) The restaurant really need to make sure their website is up to date. For a fine dining restaurant, I must admit I found it a bit disappointing to find the attention to detail just wasn't there to make sure the menu on the website reflected the menu offered at the restaurant and has the wrong price advertised (The pdf version of the 4 course menu says that Sundays are $82.50 per person when it's actually $88!!).

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Canberra, Australia
“Fine dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Excellent and inspiring food. Good selection on menu. Very good service. On top of that you can bring your own bottle of wine and get it decanted for very reasonable corkage.