“Steak cooked to perfection!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Canberra, Australia
“Steak cooked to perfection!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My partner and I dined at the Hermitage last night and had a fantastic meal. The steak was cooked to absolute melt-in-your-mouth perfection. The wine recommended to match our meals was spot on. They even let us know when our show was about to start at the Canberra Theatre next door. Happy service, great food and lovely atmosphere. This was our fourth visit to the Hermitage and every time we have been very satisfied.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Pre theatre dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Thought we'd give an old Canberra institution a go tonight, before attending a show. The reservation was cheerily taken this afternoon. The waiting staff were friendly, attentive and knowledgable. I had the Eye Fillet and my partner had the Lamb. Serving size was typical for a quality restaurant. Desserts were fine. All in all, a pleasant experience. This wasn't fine dining, but it was good, quality food. The pricing was at the upper end of what it should be for this standard of dining. Seems that the current management have things back on track.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Magnificent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I went to the Hermitage with my partner for a light meal before the theatre. The service was prompt, the waitstaff were friendly, always keen to share a joke, and, more importantly, the food was absolutely delicious. I had the lamb and my partner the kangaroo. I will definitely be making a return to explore some more wonderful flavours.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Quite quality meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

The modern styled restaurant, had nice food and service. The wait staff were very attentive and the meals come quickly. My meals were lovely, the tortellini for entree, veal for mains and apple cake for desert. My wife enjoyed her meals but they were not quite what she expected, not as tasty as she expected.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canberra, Australia
“Hermitage glory days gone forever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I'm sad to advise the previous reviewer that you did not catch The Hermitage on a bad night, it has been terrible for years and I speak from long experience. Almost every week I used to go to the Hermitage for dinner when they had good food at acceptable prices (not cheap but acceptable) and a skilled crew of cooking and waiting staff. Sadly, those basic tenets of a good restaurant have been long forgotten. After all my patronage it made me so angry to walk out the door for the very last time having paid an outrageous price for such a disappointing experience. Management has let the standard of waiting staff deteriorate badly. Expect exchange students (obviously cheap labour) with little or no communication skills let alone any expertise with food, drinks or service requirements. I too had the fillet steak which was not cooked to specification and was accompanied by rock hard vegetables (blanched?) served in a miniscule 'chocolate mousse' bowl. On this particular night I was celebrating something but the experience was so utterly bad I don't even remember why I was there! I will never eat there again and would recommend to others - go anywhere but the Hermitage. Do not waste your money, they have lost the plot entirely.

• Visited October 2011