“Not particularly impressed” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Australia
“Not particularly impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews I was expecting much more. Food was fresh, large portions. Too large. Were rushed through our meal. Not time form ordering or between courses. In, eat, out. Did not enjoy the experience. Definitely will not go back.

Visited March 2013

“A little old school for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We dined at maestral and found the the meals and decor a little dated. The portions are big. I would happily trade bigger portions though for better atmosphere and more updatd cuisine. I just felt like I had stepped back in time a bit. My highlight was the surf and turf and my wife's lobster mornay was satisfactory. Probably won't be back unless the food goes from the 70's to at least the 90's era and beyond

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Canberra, Australia
“Sorry to say dissapointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Sorry but I cant recommend this We wont be back!
We have been meaning to try this local restaurant for ages
I have heard it was very good
I have to say the rating is Average to poor because of the high level of noise The restaurant is very small for the amount of seating they have squashed into the area
Pitty they don't have tables outside in summer we would have sat outside if we could. They really should have invested in some acoustic sound proofing or something to help with the sound problem
The service was average and the meals ok Nothing outstanding. We had the antipasti as entree and Grant had garlic bread The best thing were lovely caper berries there was only one meat a few olives,only one type.The cheese was ordinary only one type , tasty cut in little blocks Grant had a whole lobster morn ay and I had the Fried lobster meat and seafood. The calamari was "chewy" ,over cooked which I found very disappointing as I love calamari. We couldn't enjoy a conversation because of the noise and left quickly with out bothering to have desert. Also disappointing as it was a special occasion and we were looking forward to lashing out on the full experience.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful fresh seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have visited this restaurant twice now and both times it has been exceptional. The first time we ate croatian specialties which were just lovely and very generous serves.
The second time we ate seafood and it was so fresh, probably the freshest I have even eaten in a restaurant.
For entrees we had safron prawns and prawns in blue cheese sauce. The prawns were huge and delightful and the sauces were out of this world. For mains I had moreton bay bugs which were so fresh and delcious. Being from Brisbane (which is where Moreton Bay is) I had never had them fresher locally though I have had them many times. I don't know how they do it. My husband had a seafood platter which was more a plate of seafood than a platter but all was fresh and delicious.
The service couldn't be faulted.
The restaurant is BYO and there are a few bottle shops near by. The don't chanrge corkage which was a surprise.
I will certainly be back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Canberra's best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have to say I feel a little embarrassed that I have lived in Canberra for 4 years and only just discovered Maestral. We had an amazing culinary experience and will definitely be frequenting again. The food was exceptional in all aspects - visual, taste, value. The bouillabaisse was really flavorsome. We also enjoyed the snapper and seafood platter and are looking forward to trying more options. The customer service was exceptional. Overall, this was one of the best dining experiences I had for a long time.

Visited December 2012