“Best vegetarian food in Canberra!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic Vietnamese Cuisine- Vegetarian Catering Specialist
Canberra
“Best vegetarian food in Canberra!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Not being vegetarian and having a slight hesitation to try soy based meat Au Lac has definitely changed my mind! The service was impeccable and the food equally as impressive, the laksa was the best I've ever had and will make Au Lac my regular dining out restaurant. I've already converted some of my friends.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Canberra, Australia
“Favourite Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is such a fun place to eat and the food is good as well. That being said, pick your own dishes as the banquet is a bit boring! The whole family love this place!

Visited September 2012
Bendigo, Australia
“YUK!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Food could be delicious if it were straight vegeterian but instead had too many dishes of 'pretend' meat

AuLac, Manager at Au Lac Royal Vegetarian Cuisine, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Please note that the meats in our menu are just the imitation in order to encourage people to try and eat more vegetarian foods. They are mainly made from soy and tofu with selected premium ingredients. Thank you for your response and sorry for any confusion!
Melbourne, Australia
“Slippery passage to the toilet, bad customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

First time at Au Lac, hoping to have a good dinner, but it was way below my expectations.

Before writing about the food, I need to warn others regarding the safety. Just in front of the toilet, the floor area was flooded and a board was placed. I carefully put my foot on it, but still I nearly slipped away, for the board was floating. Not secure at all. I felt it was against OH&S regulations.

Eggplant fritters (appetizer) were full of dough, I could hardly taste the eggplant itself, so that was really disappointing. I felt like I can cook better than this! Tofu with lemongrass was very good.

My total bill was about $50. I had a discount membership card (for which I paid a fee) that I am entitled to get a 10% discount. I showed my card and somehow I got only 5% discount, so I asked why. The guys told me that if I am alone, I will get 10% discount but since I am dining with someone else who is not a member, it reduces...... Most people go to restaurants with others, don't we? And I get punished for that??? Didn't I bring an "extra customer" for them? Well, I accepted what they said, did not want to argue about $2.50 but had a bad taste in my mouth at the end.

It is NOT about the money, but how you treat the customers. I felt like "devalued". If I came with 3 more people (group of 4), I only get 2.5% discount? In my standard, it is a very bad customer service and really cheap. Well, they certainly lost a potential regular, for I will go to the other vegan/vegetarian restaurants instead. There are 2 more in Dickson.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Canberra
“I come there every week”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Hi guys,

For those who are not fans of vegetarian food, Au Lac restaurant will not be a right choice I have to admit unfortunately. But for those who love vegetables, Au Lac is the best one in Canberra. I keep coming back here every week for my vegetarian meal and I am happy with every dish I have every single times I come here. Over rating for Vietnamese restaurant in Canberra, Au Lac is my first choice which I would recommend for my Aussie friends.

Food is great like Ca Kho To and Canh Chua Do Bien. I tried the Mongolian beef and I don't like it but my favourites will still keep me coming back here again and again.

Service is nice and sincere. This is Vietnamese style and do not expect Western 5 star standard.

Go vegies! If I have the talent like the chef in Au Lac restaurant, I will go vegetarian everyday in my life.

• Visited April 2012