“Cafe Societea - best high tea” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 13 Bakeries in Canberra
Cuisines: Bakeries
Canberra, Australia
“Cafe Societea - best high tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We went to Cafe Societea for high tea for my son's birthday. We had gone to the Hyatt for high tea last year so we knew Cafe Societea had a lot to compete with. The food was the perfect blend of sweet and savoury and the servings were so generous that we brought home leftovers. The decor is sumptuous and the service met that balance of always being there when you needed them without intruding on the conversation. We were originally booked in for last week but had the booking changed due to very serious health issues in the owners' family that resulted in the cafe's closure. Even though the change was no inconvenience to us, the owners gave my son a box of chocolates and a special birthday muffin with a personalised edible birthday message on it. Their generosity and thoughtfulness made it the perfect high tea experience. I would highly recommend the high tea to everyone.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Absolutely Amazing! Five Star!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I recently came to visit this lovely Cafe that I have heard about, from all my friends, and I absolutely loved it! The coffee was excellent, service was delightful and the breakfast was divine. The scrambled eggs were creamy, just how I love them, and the toast, spinach and tomatoes were cooked to perfection! I absolutely love the overall atmosphere, and I believe the owners have really made good use of the so very little space available. Now I know why all the previous owners of cafes in the past have failed. I will definitely be back, and I highly recommend Cafe Societea!

Canberra
“Cafe Societea - can't understand the high rating.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Had breakfast there this morning, and am extremely unimpressed. Before I go any further, it is important that I emphasise that the staff were VERY friendly and helpful. However, breakfast was pretty awful. I had the 'Classic Breakfast' of scrambled eggs and bacon with toast and tomato and a pot of tea. I was excited when asked if I liked my bacon crispy (I do!) and was anticipating a crispy breakky feast. The bacon was good - very crispy - but the scrambled eggs were swimming in liquid and look like the stuff I used to get in the mess hall (powdered maybe...yuck definitely). My single slice of tomato and 4 or 5 bits of baby spinach looked as though they had been too close to the heat lamp and were dry and burnt. Toast was toast, regular white bread from any supermarket. Ultimately, I couldn't stomach the eggs but munched all the crispy bacon. The tea was OK, but could have done with more leaf in the pot (it was weak, and didn’t get any stronger no matter how long I waited….) Also not a fan of the overall atmosphere of the place. It’s a strange but somewhat charming mix of décor and old style, but way too cramped. Tables are very small and very close together and cluttered with decorations and placemats and bits and pieces – just no room. Overall, I left $19.50 poorer and hungry. Won't be back.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Canberra
“MANBURGER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I am a regular of the local cafe. I really enjoy the faces of Phil, Janette & co. They are very warm, welcoming, friendly and most importantly they make the best burger in town. You MUST drive to Griffith for the Manburger(a medium korean infusion spiced beef burger with your favourite greens) and an amazing coffee to go. The dining experience is also at a top notch as they endeavour to ensure that you are most welcomed.

You will not find better value anywhere else!

• Visited June 2012
Banks, Canberra
“Fabulous food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I have become a regular at Cafe Societea since discovering it in February.

The food is the first reason to visit, with the majority of the fruit and veg purchased at the organic grocers a couple of doors down. cooked to order.

The service is the best reason to visit the couple who own the business are a delight and very welcoming and genuine, they make the experience that is Cafe Societea

• Visited May 2012