“Mixed impression” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Canberra
Brisbane, Australia
“Mixed impression”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom unit which I could not fault. Very nice! However, the housekeeping left a lot to be desired. One bed was half-made and my nightdress left in a bundle, the first time on the side table and the second time just on the bed. The hand towel on two occasions was not replaced and there was a strong, strange smell in the corridors. Also, we ordered room service and the food was cold when it arrived and had to be reheated in the microwave.
When paying, I was not told about the 2% surcharge on the credit card payment until given the receipt. It should have been explained before debiting my card, otherwise I would have used Eftpos. When I queried it, the male receptionist looked surly. It is a pity that these things detract from the really nice accommodation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Bunbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Having just completed a 4 night stay, there were a couple of issues with Clifton Suites on Northbourne that took the shine off our stay!
Firstly after arriving on a late flight into Canberra we got to the Hotel after 11.00pm - a bit tired and not expecting the receptionist to yell through the locked front door "what do you want?" Not exactly a warm welcome especially as I had phoned to confirm the booking and advise of our late check-in - but we pushed on and got our room which was spacious and very well appointed.
The next morning my wife complained of an unusual smell in the room, which we put down to the new carpets, but when returned in the afternoon the smell was stronger and after a few minutes my wife started to feel quite ill and I noticed a burning in my throat and a headache developing. We approached the duty manager who said that he didn't know what the smell was and thought it may come from the pool chemicals, but other guests had complained about it and he moved us to another, larger room! My issue is why the odour had not been sourced and fixed and more importantly why the hell were we put in that room!!!! Goodness knows what another night subject to the odour would do to our health!
Apart from this incident which I considered to be most unprofessional our stay at Clifton Suites was great! It is well located only a 5 minute walk to the city centre and there is also a bus stop about 40 metres from the entrance.
The rooms are large and fully equipped - most comfortable!
TIP: request a back room as those at the front overlook the very busy Northbourne Avenue and are pretty noisy!
I try to be objective and fair in all my reviews but this hotel needs a serious lesson in customer service!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I recently stayed in this apartment with 3 other adults for 3 days. I booked in February and paid in full at the time. I was rather dismayed to then see the apartments advertised on the website for $100 less. I rang the Clifton and they agreed to ' price match' (themselves) and said they would email confirmation. I had to remind them a week later and I finally received the information. On arriving, the staff at the desk provided what could best be described as basic service , however we were impressed by the apartment. Modern spacious and all the facilities we needed close to the centre of Canberra. It was fabulous. We had ongoing issues with the keys not working and no apologies from staff. They never greeted us when we came back to the apartments. On checking out the staff member could not explain the withholding of $ 50 (why? - there is no mini bar) and became mildly annoyed with me saying it would take 6 days to get it back because the bank holds it apparently!!! So it really was a bit disappointing as it would take so little to be really top notch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Nice and friendly enough at reception, and helpful to my comments/requests.

Room was of a clean and pleasant enough layout/decor, and everything works fine.

No free wifi and even if you pay $10 for access, it's mostly only available in the hall way not the rooms.

I do how ever strongly dislike their policy over "trashing your room" which must be a big problem here.... Maybe from sports supporters.... I don't know !
They want an imprint of your credit card, and then won't return that imprint on your departure and hold it for 6 months !! What the hell for !????
If the room is not trashed, then give back or destroy the imprint on departure.
You can avoid this by giving them a $200 bond in cash, and they will give that back on your departure, so I don't understand their keeping policy.

Otherwise it is old, clean, working, and pleasant staff, so 3 out of 5 stars from me

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is probably one of the better options for extended business stay in Canberra - the fully equipped kitchens are great, washing machine/dryer in the room is fantastic, and the rooms are comfy and spacious.

While the suites have been there for a number of years, they made a good choice with neutral decor so it's not ageing as badly as some other accom options. The rooms are spacious and well equipped. Beds are reasonable and the large room means you don't wake up from people in the hallways/opening doors as they're far away from where you sleep (as opposed to a standard hotel).

The hotel has reasonable facilities as well - the gym is small but servicable and there are plenty of food options on site or close by.

For tourists, probably not the best location - but for business, very convenient.

A few drawbacks were the cleanliness of the room (the shower was a bit scummy and the drain was dark; there was also a mark on the sheets i was using) and the water pressure. The old flick-mixer taps only know 2 pressures - splashing your pants or trickling.

Overall, really solid property and good value. Would be great for extended stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just spent two nights at this very nicely situated Hotel in Canberra.Only a couple of minutes walk from the centre of town it has everything you need for a pleasant stay and at reasonable cost. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, with kitchen and laundry and comfortable furniture. Housekeeping was excellent and staff polite and helpful. This place is just right for those looking for quality accommodation at a reasonable cost. It would seem excellent for families, especially because it is located so close to town.One doesn't have to keep getting the car out for small needs. The hotel has a 24 hour Bar and the Restaurant is nice although the menu is a little restricted. Prices are OK though and the breakfast is up to good hotel standard.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Reflecting on previous reviews, which I read before choosing this hotel, I have mostly positive things to say. The apartment was modern, spacious, clean and provided everything we needed. The location was good, with a few places to eat and drink within a two block radius. We didn't use much by way of hotel services, but staff seemed friendly enough.

Friday night, however, was like a night at the drag races. The entire block seemed to surrounded by people and hot cars, doing everything they could to make as much noise as possible. Seems this is a regular occurrence. Nothing the hotel can do to fix it I suppose, so best to be prepared. Go out for a late dinner and enjoy the night life!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Clifton Suites on Northbourne? Share your experiences!