“Never Again” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Motel   |   Stirling Ave, Canberra 2602, Australia   |
Ranked #38 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
“Never Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

This motel looks quite okay from the outside, the staff are friendly.

We arrived on an evening when it was going to be minus 5 degrees. After reading the well written operating instructions we attempted to get the air conditioner in our room to work for some 60 minutes, however without any success. Went across to the office and told them as above, and they then said you must be doing it wrong. The gentleman from the office came across and made an effort to get it going saying you must be doing it incorrectly, and repeated what we had done but again to no avail, he then said he would leave it and thought it may start after what he had done, and he would come back and check, after waiting around for a further thirty minutes in the cold I told him it still was not working, he then gave us a heater for the room. Which was fine to us.

My wife placed a sticky note on the air con to remind them that it was not working, when we returned to room the next day, the air con was still not working, and the note was still on the air con. Our coffee cups had not been washed when the room was cleaned!!!, the floor had not been vacuumed because, and all that had been done to the room was the towels changed and the bed made up. The exhaust fan in the bathroom was not operational.

The rooms are comfortable, however they look "tired", and whilst we were paying only $125 per night, one would expect a little better for a room.

Of more serious health concerns the ceilings "appear" to have "spray on rough type coverings" I was involved with commercial buildings for many years and during that time we identified very similar type of spray on ceiling finishes which contained asbestos, we removed the coverings because occasionally pieces would drop off, and be a danger to people working in the office. I just hope the ceilings in the Red Cedars Motel have been checked and cleared as being safe.

Apart from the above, the Motel is reasonably located some 5.4 K's from the centre of Canberra, and there is a very good bus service outside, all of the staff are very courteous, there is good safe car parking in the grounds of the motel.

With reservations, I would still recommend this motel as reasonably good value, providing they lift their game in servicing the rooms, and also providing there is a certificate somewhere that is able to be viewed by occupants that the rooms do not contain any asbestos.

Room Tip: Nominate upstairs or downstairs rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

As a regular business visitor to the ACT I would highly recommend the Red Cedars. It is an older style Motel very reasonably priced for Canberra. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the Motel is situated close to pretty much everything. An upgrade to Pay TV would be appreciated

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

My partner and I used lastminute.com.au and stayed 3 nights at this motel in March 2010. We loved the room, which was clean and very nice to come back to after a day's sight-seeing. The furniture seemed new and comfortable. All the staff were so friendly and helpful; nothing seemed too much trouble for them when we needed advice or to borrow a bus timetable or a hairdryer. I will definitely stay there next trip to Canberra as long as I have a hire car - personally I wouldn't rely on Canberra's weekend bus service again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

I was travelling to Canberra at the last minute and needed accomodation. Canberra was virtually booked out. The woman at reception (Sharon) arranged a room for me and could've charged me a fortune, knowing I was desperate. Instead she gave me a great rate and, because I was turning up late, left the key for me.

They've obviously renovated recently, as the room was fresh and clean. Breakfast was terrific, especially at short notice.

The hotel was not as close to the city as I would have liked, but reception sorted out transport and a map.

I really liked the Manager (Peter), who was always happy to help me.

The Red Cedars Motel is the best place I've stayed in Canberra and I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
USA in Paris(lol)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

I went to Red Ceders on a school trip. It had bunk beds and doors that led in to other peoples rooms. The food was below average, and many people ended up getting terribly sick. It was OK though, But only if you want basic accomidation..

• Liked — Not sure
  • Disliked — Food and Rooms
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2006

I didnt book this accomodation just rocked up in the dark.
It cost me $82 for the night.
The room was fairly old but clean, it had 1 double bed a table with a couple of plastic chairs, 34cm colour TV positioned at end of bed which I liked as I like watching TV in bed.
It had a reverse cycle split system airconditioner which is certainly a step up from the old noisy box airconditioners.
I was on the first floor and it had a balcony with a view, well it was open grass then a road, not the best view in the world but at least no neighbouring buildings.
The only minor fault was no curtain on the shower so a little water went on the bathroom floor but not much. I did like the shower head and the great water pressure of the shower, good therapy for aching muscles.
So if your happy with basic budget accomodation this is for you!

• Liked — nothing stands out
  • Disliked — nothing stands out
  • Tips/Secrets — no
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Red Cedars Motel? Share your experiences!