“A great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Canberra, Australia
“A great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed here on December 8 in room 120, the room is spacious, it has a separate lounge area with a tv and a small kitchenette with a microwave. The bathroom is a bit small but you are only there to use the toilet or have a shower.
The room I had did face Antill Street which is a main road and yes you can hear the cars going past but I didn't hear them during the night.
The bed was very comfortable and I didn't wake with a back ache and I slept like a log.
There is a pool and gym area but I didn't go and check this out, maybe next time.
You can order room service or take your own meals and microwave them. Only problem I had was working out how to use the microwave.
I will recommend friends to stay here and I will go back and stay another time to refresh my batteries.
It is within walking distance to Dickson Shops.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
General M, General Manager at Dickson Parklands Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the property, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location to be convenient to the Dickson restaurant and shopping district.

As you observed, our distance from Antill Street does ensure that there is minimal disturbance to our guest's comfort due to street noise. The hotel is surround by trees and shrubs on all sides as well which helps with sound proofing as well as making for a nice view from all guest rooms.

I am glad to hear you will be recommending us to your friends and will yourself return to stay with us, I hope you do try the pool and gym the next time you stay with us. The feedback we get with regards to the pool and sitting area beside it are always very positive.

Again, thank you for your review and look forward to meeting you the next time you stay with us.

Therese

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

At reasonable price, close to the City, beautiful garden, quiet area, couldn't ask for more. Suggest to go to a restaurant called Watermark on the Edge, for fine dining :)
Internet and spa bath, added bonus .... What a gem

• Stayed November 2012
General M, General Manager at Dickson Parklands Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Natasha,

Thank you very much for the top marks you gave us. We always aim to exceed our guest’s expectations and ensure that they enjoy their stay and come back.

I am very happy to hear that you agree with us that we are very close to the City yet are able to offer a quiet peaceful stay in beautiful surrounds both in our courtyard and the surrounding parks area.

Your positive feedback regarding the complimentary high speed broadband quota is appreciated as it helps us better understand our guest's needs. In the near future we will also be offering wireless connection.

We are very lucky in Canberra with a number of fine dining restaurants that offer an exciting array of imaginative and inventive dishes executed perfectly.

Thank you again for your review and I hope your return will be very soon.

Therese
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and two girls always stay here when we come down to ride our mountain bikes at mt stromlo,and as a stop over on route to the snow,and always found this place as a great find,as it is close to some great restaurants and the staff are incredibly friendly and the rooms are always clean,nothing is a problem for them which is refreshing.As to the last comment about the breakfast [please get a life] My wife and i thought it was great place for breakfast,clean,modern and for us it was very refreshing way to start our day.

Room Tip: If you have a few people,don't skimp on money to jam them all in one place,make sure you get a r...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at Dickson Parklands Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Dave Y,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Parklands Apartment Hotel Dickson on tripadvisor.

It is very satisfying to know that all the team's hard work to bring to you the best experience we can, does not go unnoticed by our return guests and those staying for the first time. We are a small team and as such function as a family and we enjoy making sure that all the guests that come to our 'home' enjoy themselves and keep on coming back.

We are certainly very lucky with our location on a quiet street yet very close to buzzing Dickson town centre with all its fantastic restaurants representing a diverse range of international cuisine. Guests wishing to self cater are also able to do their grocery shopping in Canberra's busiest Woolworths, and be able to pick up freshly baked bread from Deeks Bakery, which leads the industry in the production of gluten free breads, cakes and all manner of delicious baked goods; not forgetting the quality butcher shop.

I look forward to welcoming you back the to your home away from home when you are next in Canberra.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

We hired a one bedroom apartment as we were staying with our 9 year old daughter (advertised as suitable for 3 adults). We actually got a very small studio apartment (beds, sofa, fridge, TV all in the same room). Very low ceilings, tiny bathroom and absolutely not suitable for 3 people - especially since we were staying 3 nights. Rooms look tired, towels thin, pillows are cheap & uncomfortable.

Included was breakfast which was served in the basement - a very depressing room to start your day in. Staff are not very friendly. Not recommended!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at Dickson Parklands Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Katrin S,

Thank you for your review of the Parklands Apartment Hotel.

I would invite you to contact me directly at the hotel as the issues you had with our staff, the quality of towels and pillows are matters that concern me greatly and I want to investigate and rectify the situation as soon as possible, but I am unable to do so without your assistance.

Our towels are sourced through the premier linen supply company in Canberra, which is used by a large number of hotels in Canberra, however if they are supplying me with inferior quality towels it is a matter that I will take up with them, and I have already spoken to my housekeeping department to be more vigilant of the quality of the linen delivered. I offer you my sincerest apologies for the experience.

Our pillows are replaced on a regular basis to ensure guest comfort. Without know the room number you stayed in I am unable to specify as to when the pillows were last replaced, but I have instructed staff to go through all our triple studio rooms and check all the pillows.

I do wish to discuss with you the issues you had with reception so I can identify the areas or person in the team that needs extra training to ensure the 4-star quality we pride ourselves on.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I was looking for accommodation close to the AIS in Canberra. The Parklands is very close, only 10 min by car. The rooms are warm and comfortable and there are an abundance of restaurants within 5min drive. However, my room, supposedly a one bedroom apartment, was incredibly small. The bathroom was so small there was no room to put anything near or next to the sink. The breakfast facilities were very poor. I will try somewhere different next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Dickson Parklands Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear Paula,

Thank you for your review of the Parklands Apartment Hotel Dickson. I am glad that we were able to meet your needs to be close to the AIS and that you found the restaurant district in Dickson conveniently close and with ample choice to tempt diners.

I am sorry that you found the bathroom vanity has insufficient space for your needs; all the units do have cupboard space underneath the sink counter for storing extra items.

I welcome any feedback from our guest to improve the product we offer and I urge you to contact me, directly at the hotel, to discuss how we can improve our breakfast service.

Thank you again for your review.
GM
Alice Springs, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We had 3 very comfortable nights and would stay again without hesitation. The location was 8 minutes from the CBD and close to Dickson shops with great restaurants and facilities. Rooms are a little aged but well maintained with lovely gardens, secure parking and excellent staff. The $ rate was fair.

Room Tip: Book early if parliament is sitting as it fills up quickly like much other Canberra accommodation.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Dickson Parklands Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear Unrealmate,

Thank you for staying at The Parklands Apartment Hotel in Dickson, and for taking the time to review our property. I am glad to hear that you found us conviniently close to the City and Dickson; and found us to be a good value.

We are proud of the product we offer and I think our pride is reflected in the care we take in looking after our guests and the rooms, we continually try to update and improve our rooms and appreciate the valuable insight our guests share with us as part of the reviews.

Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back to The Parklands.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed with my mum & baby son for 3 nights. It was a very pleasant stay. I was there for work so didn't spend much time in the room but mum was really comfortable. I was a little concerned when I booked after reading some previous reviews but I can say nothing but good things about the place & staff. They even met me at the car & carried in all my luggage which there was heaps! They were happy to accommodate an early check in which I had requested upon booking. The one bedroom apartment is small but it was very clean & comfortable. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2012
General M, General Manager at Dickson Parklands Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to favourably review our property and I am glad that you found our service and product of the high standard for which we always aim.

The one bedroom apartment as you noted is designed to allow for relaxation and spending time cooking, watching television in the loungeroom seperate the the bedroom, which many guest travelling with children, like you and your mother, find appealing.

I thank you again for your review and look forward to having your return to stay with us.

Been to Dickson Parklands Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!