“Date night” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
I wish Kauai
“Date night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I had a night at East for our date night :-) we found the room spacious and relaxing, checkin went smoothly, and really liked the design and decor in reception. The massive slideshow next to the reception desk is pretty cool.

Dinner at Ox, the restaurant in the hotel was beautiful. The selection of drinks was ok but I knew they had just opened and was advised it would grow rapidly.

That said, breakfast was our favorite meal. The pastries are probably the best we've had in Canberra. Even if you are not planning on staying there, duck in one morning and grab a pastry. You won't regret it.

Overall we had a great stay. the only thing we needed that wasn't working was the ATM. I just popped across the road to the Kingo to get some cash so no big deal.

I can see how East Hotel would also be a great place to stay for business travelers. The location is really central, and walking distance to quite a few Agencies.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Todd H, General Manager at East Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Kauai_Gary,

We'd love to have you back for more date nights - surely you and your wife deserve it!

The ATM just didn't end up being feasible on site, so thank you for noting this, it has been removed.

Now back to business: when are you returning? Give us a call and let us know!

Thank you truly for your public review.

Todd Handy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I had a pleasant week at East Hotel last week, only 5 weeks after it had opened. My first floor studio was comfortably large, and the facilities were great. The inclusion of 100Mb wifi per nights stay was really useful.
I was there for business, however proximity to the parliament areas of Canberra is handy for tourists. There are two lovely dining precincts nearby (Kingston & Manuka) and a farmers-style produce market 5 minutes drive away in Fyshwyk.
Downstairs is a very popular cafe called Ox, which is recommended by the hotel for meals and supplies. I found the offerings were a bit too expensive- three slices of sourdough were billed at $5. I also would have liked to peruse a list of items they stocked, but this wasn't in my room.
This aside, I would stay here again, and thoroughly enjoyed my week staying at East Hotel.

Hello Peta T,

So glad you had a wonderful stay!

Ox have read your comments regarding price and they are constantly reviewing their offering and have made many changes since your stay.

We all thank you for your feedback and look forward to having you again in the near future.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

It's very rare that I have stayed in a brand new hotel, but upon checking in I discovered that the hotel had only been open for 6 weeks and I was only the third guest to use the room I was allocated.

The place is located in Kingston, across the road from the Kingston pub and a stone's throw away from all the activity of Manuka.

Upon check-in the staff were most friendly. I was allocated a fourth floor studio room, which was very comfortable. A king-size bed, cooking facilities, a window that opened, a nespresso machine and spotlessly keen throughout. Even the do-not-disturb sign was quaint with simply - Yes You Can on one side and No You Can't on the other.

The developers had planned ahead and built four levels of basement parking.

Overall there was nothing I could really fault and would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Check last minute sites for good rates as this place is likely to become expensive if it becomes pop...
Dear mv18829,

We love it when people notice "the little things" we do!

A further tip to yours - if you come to Canberra VERY often or are with a company that sends lots of people to Canberra, we can provide a generally better rate (pending appropriate verification of multiple visits annually).

If you have any other feedback, please do let us know.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had an excellent one night in a studio room over the October long weekend.

Pros:
- clean, new rooms with large bathrooms and comfortable furniture
- quiet and peaceful
- great location, across the road from Manuka oval and shopping strip which has a number of decent drinking/dining options
- fresh simple breakfast, good espresso coffee
- 12pm check out
- excellent in-room kitchen facilities
- reasonable pricing

Cons:
- car parking is an add-on that isn't disclosed at the time of booking. We negotiated to have it included free of charge however.

I would strongly recommend this hotel if staying close to the downtown area isn't a key requirement for you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jaaust,

Thank you for the quick synopsis of your stay!

Please note that our parking rates are now disclosed online, on the registration card and at listed at the carpark entry. I apologise for any confusion.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel was lovely to stay. Nice, clean and comfortable. We stayed one night in a one bedroom apartment with two young kids. Wireless internet was included up to 100mb which we did not expect. The only downside was that it was very hard to connect to it. The apartment featured all modern style shower hand rail, toilets, washing basin, everything was nice and clean. The Nespresso coffee machine was a plus, we even went and got one ourselves when we came back home. We would recommend East hotel to any traveller to Canberra. Thumbs Up!

Hello Jaynet86,

Thank you for the kinds words! It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Next time you bring your kids - ask for the two-bedroom apartment with kids cubby. We've fitted out the kids room with bunk beds, bean bag chairs, video games, board games and kid focused minibar, glassware and furniture.

We hope to see you soon!

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We visit Canberra almost annually and have each time, stayed in acceptable places - but not exceptional ones. We have accepted that we go there for the attractions (Floriade, museums) and don't expect much on the accommodation front.
Let's face it, Canberra hotels are expensive and a lot of the ones we have stayed in were trapped in a time warp in the 1960s.
Thanks to Tripadvisor, I came across this hotel whilst looking for a place for an overnight stay.
As mentioned by other reviewers, it was just opened in August, 2012 and the opening prices they advertised were reasonable.

I opted for an East Apartment and with an extra $30, they will make up the sofa bed for you if you have a family of 4.

Upon entering the foyer of the hotel, I could not help but feel like I was walking into an office. The design was modern but stark. There's free internet to use there and their eatery, Ox was nearby. (closed during public holidays but open for breakfast)
The reception staff, did not seem experienced and were laughing loudly and behaving like students when I approached their desk. Not very professional, I thought, but they gave me an early check in and gave me the basic details. They did not however, tell me that there would be a $10 surcharge for parking per night.

Anyhow, I did not find that too worrying as I was keen to have a look at the new room.
The rooms were modern and yes,the furniture did seem "Ikea" like but they were functional and fit in with the space quite nicely.
There was a full kitchen, laundry and the best thing I liked about the room was the large bathroom.
Cleverly designed, they had the wardrobes there which meant convenience after your shower if you stored all your clothes there. I did wonder how it would work later on when moisture could be a problem.
The shower was divine and no problems with hot water.

But for the time being, everything was nice and new - and clean. Kitchen was well equipped - included oven, microwave, 2 stove tops, dishwasher and everything you need to make a decent meal.

The bedroom could be made up as a king sized bed or twin singles. They were new beds so I guess no excuse for not being comfy!
I let the kids stay in the bedroom while I slept on the sofa bed. The sofa bed was probably the worse part of the stay. It was saggy and I did not sleep too well but it was not as bad as other ones I have experienced.

The air con was good. It was below 0 degrees outside but it was comfortable inside.

The hotel is a short driving distance to all the attractions. Buses are also near by but not frequent on the weekends. I was advised by reception to take a taxi instead of the bus!

The hotel is also great for the kids. This was surprising as the hotel struck me to be more of a business hotel but they really made my kids happy by setting up an X Box Kinect in their room along with some fine kids games. They had a ball and it was complimentary.
They also have a couple of "kids cubby" adjoining rooms if you are interested, but for an additional $200 a night, I did not go for it.

Upon checking out, the staff were still getting used to the process (quite slow) but trying hard to improve as they asked how our stay was and being friendly.

After many different stays in Canberra, I have to say that this has been the best accommodation. The price however, will be over $300 for an East apartment after their opening special. I am not sure if I will return fo that price, but I think they have done a great job so far in their first month of operation.

Room Tip: There are adjoining rooms if you want to book 2 rooms together. The room we stayed in on the 3rd f...
Hello AustTrail,

Thank you for providing the feedback on what sounds like a great stay! We'd love to have you back after being in operation for awhile and learn how your experience has changed from the initial stay.

We truly look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We recently visited Canberra to see Floriade and luckily I consulted Trip Advisor for some reviews on Canberra hotels otherwise I wouldn't have known about the East Hotel. It's a brand new boutique hotel situated in Kingston, right near all the lovely cafes, restaurants and shops at Manuka. The oval is closeby as well.
I was with my husband and teenage son so we booked an East Apartment, rather than a standard room, at a very reasonable 'opening special' rate. It was like a one bedroom suite but also had cooking facilities, even a Nespresso coffee machine. The decor was modern, bright and very tasteful plus it was spotless.
Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Unfortunately we didn't get to eat in the restaurant because we slept in (the beds were so comfortable) and missed breakfast. I would definitely recommend East Hotel - I was disappointed we only had one night there as I could have happily stayed for a week!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Todd H, General Manager at East Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
So TravelingVirgo, when are you coming back? We look forward to it!

Cheers!

Todd Handy

Been to East Hotel? Share your experiences!