“The bed was a winner” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Capital Hill Canberra

You added Rydges Capital Hill Canberra to your Saves list
Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Canberra Ave. | Cnr Canberra Avenue & National Circuit, Canberra 2603, Australia   |
Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
NSW South Coast
“The bed was a winner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2009

We work in Canberra every month for a couple of days, so have stayed at a variety of other accom. places. The bed will keep us coming back. My husband wants to buy one. A good nights sleep has great value. This place would have received 5 stars but for a couple of things that let it down. Firstly, I could not believe there was mould ON the tiles, not just the grout. It very literally repulsed me. If I had access to cleaning goods I would have happily done it myself. Maybe the cleaners need a refresher course. Secondly, very little choice on cable e.g no movies. Only good if you like sport. Having said that, the picture quality was very good. Aside from these couple of things, we felt we received good value for money and would not hesitate to stay again. (might bring some cleaning stuff next time :-)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, December 30, 2009
Dear Paradise Preachers

It's lovely to hear from our guests who travel to Canberra regularly but are first time guests with us, thanks for taking the time to share your comments.

Our new beds are proving to be quite a hit with all of our guests and many of them have already purchased one! If you would like more information then visit our website or contact the hotel directly. I bought one of the beds for myself and just love it.

I'm concerned about your comments about the bathroom, however, I have no way of knowing which room you stayed in. All rooms are inspected daily and we have not come across a room with that problem. It would be extremely helpful to know which room you stayed in so I can ensure it is up to scratch.

I hope to welcome you again to the hotel next time you are in Canberra, please feel free to drop me a line so I know you are coming. There's nothing better than a return guest who has taken the time to share their thoughts with us.

Karin Cook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

Booked a room through lastminute.com as "secret" room, and got it fairly cheap as a result. Bit worried after reading reviews, but it was quite nice. The fittings/decor are, as a lot of people have written, worn around the edges, but everything was very clean. The staff were really very helpful... i booked in about 2/3 hours early, but they were very accommodating. They were more than happy to provide advice about the area, getting around, places to eat/drink, etc. My laptop wasn't working so had to use the internet lounge, which frankly was pretty terrible... two small screen computers, internet at $5 per half hour (ouch), and had to change computers half way through because one printer wouldn't work. But this is a pretty small complaint, and I guess most people on business have a computer with them anyway. My room faced the courtyard garden at back of hotel, which was nice... I did wonder while having lunch in the atrium whether the rooms that face the atrium would feel as private -- as far as I could tell, you'd have to have to curtains drawn the whole time, otherwise people could see straight into your room. BUt I didn't stay in one of those rooms, so I might be wrong on this score. My room at least was very private, but still had a nice view looking outside.

Best thing about this hotel is the location... very central, and close to cafes/restaurants.

All said, pretty good value for Canberra, and I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, December 20, 2009
Hi Bolshy23

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us, I am so glad that you had an enjoyable stay. Booking 'secret' rooms can certainly lead to a great deal when travelling and I'm glad that we take part in those promotions.

It's nice to hear you found the staff to be helpful and friendly, after all, we aim to provide a high level of service to all guests. I agree - it's a great location!

We are currently in negotiations with the internet provider to upgrade our business centre computers, so hopefully next time you stay there will be nice new computers for you to use.

We hope to see you again soon

Karin Cook
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

I have to say considering we got this place as a secret deal through Last Minute it actually wasnt too bad considering the other reviews.Yes the rooms could do with a reno but so could 90% of other hotels around the world. We had a queen superior room.

The rooms were modern enough just cant get over the ancient clock radio in the bedside table!! Initially we had a room overlooking the atrium but this was easily changed when we noticed a party starting in the bar area below.

We were able to snare a room on the top floor facing the street, no noise as there is no balcony. The only gripe there was a door between our room & the next where you could sometimes hear some chatter from other guests.The bed is a modern queen size with big fluffy pillows. Air conditioning is ancient but works ok.TV with remote & the usual bar fridge, there is a desk & big chair.Plenty of cupboard space to hang clothes etc.

Front of house were fine, they accommodated our wishes no problem.

Location is smack bang in the middle of the action, parliament house across the road & Manuka & Kingston a 10 min walk down the road to the best restaurants & pubs in Canberra.

The swimming pool & spa are great, although you have to pay to use the gym, I suspect that bit is not run by the hotel?

All up still a good hotel, although housekeeping really need to pick up dirty room service trays preferably the same day!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, December 16, 2009
Rydges Capital Hill Canberra Continues to concetrate on customer service excellence and it is pleasing to see posts such as these.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

Having read the other reviews on this website AFTER I had booked this hotel I was a bit apprehensive to stay there! However, we didnt have any major problems with the hotel and would stay here again.
The room was spacious and although some of the furniture is a bit outdated we didn't find this to be a problem. The bed was comfy and the sheets were soft. We didn't have any problem with the temperature of the room unlike other reviewers - we just left the airconditioning on low overnight and this was fine.
The reception staff were very efficient, pleasant, friendly and helpful so we had no problem here. We didn't eat in the restaurant or go to the bar so I cannot comment on this.
We parked 1 minutes walk away for free so didn't have the same inconvenience of having to pay to park in the underground car park as other reviewers.. We could see the car from our balcony!
The only problem we had was with cleanliness - the room was clean but the spa bath was not which was a bit of a turn off. There were several hairs in the bath tub which I found a bit disgusting - being a part time cleaner myself I would find this sort of thing very noticeable when cleaning a room and not something that you could miss!! Other than this the bathroom was clean.
Overall we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

Having read previous reviews I was a bit concerned but we had a room on the ground floor outer which was quiet and had windows to the outside. The whole place certainly needs to be renovated - it looks very shabby and last century. The public spaces were freezing. However the service was fine -the room was spacious and warm and the location close to Manuka restaurants and the art gallery which we had specifically come to vist was great. Probably wouldn't recommend more than one night here.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, November 30, 2009
Thank you for your comments. We plan and practice in continual improvements of the hotel.

A great aspect of our hotel is our location and close proximity to all the wonderful attractions in Canberra.

I am pleased to hear our service met your expectations and warmly welcome you back.
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

I have just stayed at the Rydges Capitol Hill and have difficulty in expressing my disappointment at how the hotel has slipped in standards since a previous stay a few years ago. The foyer is expansive (but very tired), the inside trees are a great idea (if only they were not caked with dust), the rooms are serviced beautifully (turn a blind eye to the mould in the bathroom). Interestingly other reviewers noted that parking was $10 per day, mine seems to have varied from $10 to$12 depending on the day! The room service meal ordered was possibly one of the worst meals ever in any hotel, Chicken Caesar Salad that was literally more anchovy than chicken. The breakfast was..... well maccas would be more palatable. Come on Rydges, your tariffs are not basic or discounted – people will pay for quality, but then it should be delivered with a smile. Management, you have some great people working there, careful and diligent – but their frustration was palpable. It does not take much to clean, and even the garage needs a clean. I had looked forward to a few days at a hotel I had previously enjoyed – this was beyond disappointing. A tip for those that must stay there – do not allow yourself to stay in a room over the garage door thinking.... it will be ok, and quieter at night! Wrong.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

We take great pride in our cleaning standards as we acknowledge our property is looking a little more tired than a few years back. We have placed more emphasis on improving different areas of the hotel until our refurbishment process begins.

I am awfully disappointed to hear of the poor experience in our restaurant. Our Executive Chef takes food presentation and quality very seriously and I am confident he will investigate and rectify the issues you experienced.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your experience.
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

I spent the last weekend staying at the Rydges Capital Hill and it was a perfect weekend. As it was my wedding on Saturday Afternoon, we choose to hold our reception at the Fig Tree Cafe and the staff were simply incredible. Setting up a romantic private area for the occasion and providing some of the finest service that I have ever received. staying in the honeymoon sweet was also a real treat the rooms are well designed and the Beds are the most comfortable that I have experienced in a hotel. I would like to thank all the staff of the Rydges Capital Hill for making my wife and my first weekend together even more perfect, Thank you all.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

We have a very dedicated and dynamic team here at Rydges Capital Hill and I am very pleased to hear that their efforts have been acknowledged.

Been to Rydges Capital Hill Canberra? Share your experiences!