Very good value for 2 nights with full buffet breakfast and tickets to the Turner Exhibition. We have stayed here over the years and also stay here for these packages before and never been disappointed with the hotel but this time there were problems. The hotel location is excellent and everything is close and accessible. The reception and check in was very fast and courteous. We asked for an upper level room which we prefer. This was no problem. We had room 283. The room itself was large, a bit old and tired (but we've been here before and find it comfortable). The bed is very very comfortable but the pillows, while plentiful, are way too soft and hard to manage. Linen is nice and crisp and white. The bathroom is quite Ok and although the shower is over the bath and a big step in and out which would be challenging for the less mobile or someone around the 5 foot mark like myself, the shower itself is really good. Plenty of bench space. Towels are good quality. The lighting in the room itself is dreadful with a useless dim central light and two dim bed head lights. A light over the desk is at least useable. The room was very dark and hard to locate things in a suitcase of dark clothes in a dim room! TV is good quality and can be swivelled around. However the big problem was the room temperature. We were baked. We turned off the heat immediately on entering as it was sweltering. Turned on the fan to cool but just roasted all night. A terrible night and we couldn't wait to get out of the room in the morning. The reception staff (Shynead) was very helpful and did her best to assist but this is beyong her control. So we had a second baking night in our over heated room. We had friends staying on a lower floor and they had the same problem. We were all just way too hot to be comfortable. We have never had this problem before at this hotel. If other guests want to be heated like this, then at least give people like us the option to have a more reasonable temperature control. And chatting to a couple of others at breakfast we found they had the same problem and although they weren't going to complain , they just weren't going to stay there again.
The restaurant was comfortable and the food good for breakfast. The fruit was excellent. However there is a mixture of very hard working staff and others who do nothing and try their best to avoid being asked to clear a table.
We dined at the hotel restaurant on the Sat night and while the food was quite good the menu was very limited. My husband had the red banded snapper which was about the size of the palm of my hand - ridiculous. I wanted to have an entree as a main and was told that it would double the price - so I would have been paying about $35 for a plate of cauliflower. That's just plain excessive.
Dessert prices were just way over the top and we didn't have any - In any case they weren't very tempting.
The service level was very poor. In fact, it was downright insulting. We had to continually signal for service (and weren't always successful) We were not offered any drinks and had to ask for them. At one stage we asked for a drink 3 times and didn't even get an apology. We weren't offered a dessert menu after our meal. We weren't offered coffee and had to ask for it. At no time did the waitress approach us, We had to continually try to attract her attention. If the hotel wants to charge top prices, then it needs to provide a suitable level of service.
Having said all that, the Turned exhibition was one of the best ever.
Shynead and Aliana (I may have her name spelt wrongly) were both exemplary on front desk.
Their standards should be the benchmark for some of the restaurant staff.
I've rated my stay as very good because it really is a good hotel for the room price, breakfast and location.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Capital Hill Canberra Hotel
- Rydges Capital Hill Canberra Hotel Canberra
- Rydges Capital Hill Hotel Canberra
- Canberra Rydges Capital Hill
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rydges Capital Hill is the ideal Canberra hotel from which to base your stay in the Nation’s Capital. Whether you are visiting for leisure or business, you’ll find everything you need within close proximity at one of the best Canberra accommodation providers. This Canberra hotel is 500 metres from Parliament House, surrounded by the busy business districts of Barton and Parkes, walking distance to Manuka and Kingston, and close to most of Canberra's national attractions. The city is a 5 minute drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Tingo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Venere so you can book your Rydges Capital Hill Canberra reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.