“Turner Special” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Capital Hill Canberra

Save Saved
You added Rydges Capital Hill Canberra to your Saves list
Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Canberra Ave. | Cnr Canberra Avenue & National Circuit, Canberra 2603, Australia   |
Ranked #24 of 52 hotels in Canberra
Sydney, Australia
“Turner Special”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stopped two nights on a 'Turner' special. Reception quick and friendly, exhibition tickets given straight out at same time. Good big clean room with two double beds. Had dinner 'in' on first night, food freshly cooked, a little bit of a wait, but wife happy. Breakfast next two days was excellent, with a large choice of everything. Hotel was within walking distance of the Art Gallery and the nearby restaurants, wife even more happy.
Over all, a good, under rated hotel, well run and worth the stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed the Turner Exhibition as I did it really is fantastic; we’re getting great feedback from so many guests.

Thank you for the kind remarks on Breakfast and Dinner I’ll be sure to pass on your feedback to the staff in those areas.

I hope we have an opportunity to be of service on a future visit to Canberra.

486 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. That's about the nicest thing I can say. The walls/floors here are too thin, we could hear people walking around and babies crying at night. But we could deal with that if everything about this place wasn't designed to extract more money from you even after the fairly uncompetitive room tariff. Want to use the gym? $9 a session. Park your car? $12 a day. Have some brekky? $25 a head for
lukewarm buffet food.
There's free Wifi that didnt work with our iPad, only our laptop. To use it you need to contact the concierge to get the password and guess what? They're not answering. It took me about 7 tries over 3 hours to get this information. Overall we were unimpressed.

• Stayed July 2013
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
I get your point, value is everything. Our current best offer for 2 adults is $175 per night including Breakfast and Parking, although we have limited rooms at this rate – typically 10-20 per night, disappointing you missed out.

Quite perplexing that you were able to get the WIFI working on your laptop but needed assistance with the I-Pad, please accept my sincere apologies as it was clearly hard to contact the desk for assistance.

I’m sure we can do better and hope you change your mind about our hotel, please email me if I can be of any personal assistance.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I was recently at the hotel for a conference. Overall it was a good experience, however, I had a very nasty fall in the bathroom. The bathmat was non slip and the shower is situated over the bath. On stepping out of the bath, the mat slipped and I fell heavily, injuring my back, knee and shoulder. Although I reported it to staff and filled out an incident form, I was not contacted by any of the staff to see how I was and I was there for a few more days after the accident.

Having said that, the staff were generally friendly and efficient. The food was good, beds very comfortable and it was very well located. I would hate to be negative because accidents happen.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to speak with me regarding your fall over the phone yesterday. My apologies for not being in contact as I was away on annual leave; I understand the Front Office Manager called in my absence.

Hopefully your recovery is going well; if I can be of any further assistance as discussed let me know.

Please visit us again soon.

Katoomba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed here as part of an organised motorcycle charity ride/group. Check-in was easy and the staff were quite helpful, cheerful and friendly. They provided secure parking for the motorcycle downstairs, which was great.

The room (superior twin) had two queen sized beds which was nice. It was nice and large and very tastefully decorated etc and the beds were comfortable. It was however apparent that it had been revamped and was still in need of a bit more TLC - especially in the en-suite.

That said, I have booked it again this year - it was clean, and good value for money.

Bar staff in the downstairs bar were also very friendly and accommodating of our group.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Must be a bit cold riding a motorcycle through Canberra in winter!

Earlier this year we replaced carpet, curtains and most of the furniture; still a bit of painting to finish and re-grouting of bathrooms this year.

Thanks for your feedback, please visit us again soon.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Rydges Capital Hill is centrally located and has great amenities.

We stayed in a superior twin room with two double beds that suited our family of two adults and two children just fine - it was not particularly large, but the comfortable beds and quality linen made up for it.

The free WI-Fi worked well and was useful for planning our day. We also had a very affordable package deal with free buffet breakfast, free parking and a family pass to Questacon...honestly for the price we paid I don't think we could've got a better deal anywhere else in Canberra.

Our children loved the indoor heated pool (although I was disappointed in the luke warm spa that had a strange odour and was shared with directly unsupervised children jumping on me).

The buffet breakfast the next morning was convenient, tasty and offered many options to choose from. We also dined from the Al-a-carte menu in the restaurant for dinner and we were more than satisfied with both the service and food.

Check in staff were fast, friendly and efficient.

Overall I would definitely look at staying again on our next visit - especially if they have a great package deals on offer again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I was delighted to read that our Hotel suited your family so well.

Questacon is really great for kids and with the free WIFI and Heated Pool most seem to be happy and fully occupied when they are here – a blessing for parents!

The Chef and restaurant staff were pleased that you enjoyed breakfast AND Dinner with us. Like most staff they are keen Tripadvisor followers, your comments are very motivating to them.

Thanks again, hopefully we will see you back in Canberra soon.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Good and comfy hotel, short walk to Manuka where restaurants, cinema and supermarket could be found. Short distance to Parliament House (Old and New).
I agreed with other comment. Free Wifi was a big plus with our 12 years old.
Breakfast was good, had plenty of choices. Staff were friendly and helpful. Free Computers in the lobby area, perfect for checking in flights. However, I had issue with the computer, the staff at the desk was very helpful to sorting out my problem with the computer. Undercover carpark was good. (Charge involved).
However, noises from the hotel restaurant penetrated into our room until the diners were gone!
Air cond in the room was difficult to regulate to a happy medium. It was either too hot or too cold.
Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Try to get the room away from the restaurant.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Your comments are very fair and to the point.

We’re doing a bit of work on the air conditioning system and reinforcing with staff the need to be quite in the Atrium later in the evening.

I’m pleased to read that overall you had a pleasant stay and WIFI kept the 12 year old fully occupied!

Kind regards
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Good comfortable hotel for a reasonable price. We had a package including breakfast. Within walking distance of Parliamentary Triangle and Manuka which we found was needed as the ability to find a car parking is space in both was terrible. Good to see Wifi included within the price and not as an extra. Unfortunately 1.5% credit card charge was a bit of a sting in the tail. Heating in the room was a bit of a challenge to get right.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manuka is great, restaurants and interesting shopping close to our Hotel is a real bonus and it’s a pleasant easy walk.

As you note the free WIFI has been well received, great to see you made good use of it. We’ve ramped up the heating too, very cosy in here at present!

Thanks again, please visit us again soon.

jon_ackary@rydges.com

Been to Rydges Capital Hill Canberra? Share your experiences!