“inconsistency of what staff tell the guests” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Capital Hill Canberra

Save Saved
You added Rydges Capital Hill Canberra to your Saves list
Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Canberra Ave. | Cnr Canberra Avenue & National Circuit, Canberra 2603, Australia   |
Ranked #24 of 52 hotels in Canberra
Shellharbour, Australia
“inconsistency of what staff tell the guests”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

im writing this review on Rydges Canberra as the hotel was beautifully clean , but thats where my praise stops, i was at a wedding there and among the guests we found major inconsistencies starting with booking in we were told when i booked 4 rooms that they would be together, at least
we were on the same floor other members had families split up on different floors.
when the parking was asked about again there was major confusion as some of my family was told that they had to pay for parking and others told it was complimentary for guests.
and finally breakfast, to have breakfast, it was 30 dollars,if you stayed in the hotel you could get a discount to bring it down to $20 and the some people got there breakfast for nothing and that was someone who had already checked out , my daughter was told it was complimentary and it was then charged to my room....happy NOT would never use this hotel again ,and i kniow this will be removed because apparently you can only leave positive advice on trip advisor.. so how much faith does this give you in this site

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Please accept my sincere apologies for any poor communication on our part during your stay. That this review is on Tripadvisor should alleviate your concerns about only positive reviews being allowed.

Just to clarify a few of your comments:

1. Our Buffet Breakfast is $25; however if you “pre commit” the night before we will charge an additional $20 per person to your room rate, saving $5 pp. Why? It assists us to organise quantities of food & staff.
2. Undercover parking with security access is $12.50 per night; however we do have some Packages with parking built into the rate. It will be clearly written in the confirmation. There are a small number of outside car spaces available FOC.
3. We do not charge $30 for breakfast.

I’m sure we can do better and I hope you change your mind about our hotel, please email me if I can be of any personal assistance.

486 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed in the king spa room. We had originally booked a standard room but were given a free upgrade just for being polite and courteous to our attendant booking us in. It is very easy to be kind but very few people seem to be able to do that these days.
We got a free buffet breakfast with our original booking and were very impressed at the options available. The food was beautifully cooked and there was plenty of it. From toast, cereal, and bakery items (muffins, croissants, etc) to bacon, eggs, spinach, mushrooms and sausages. We could want for nothing. They had many juices and even juice shots like beet root and ginger for us to have. Very elegant and well worth any and every cent.
The room was very spacious and the spa was devine.
We had booked in for a hot air balloon that was cancelled due to bad weather. But we will definitely stay there again when we re-book our flight. Maybe I'll get a free room because of the great review?? :-)
Can not wait to come back again.

Room Tip: Even if you only have time for a 30 minute spa. I high,y recommend a spa room! Very affordable and e...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
“Affordable Luxury” what a great compliment! Thanks so much.

I like the cheeky line re FOC and know you didn’t really mean it, although you’re right to be kind to the Receptionist you just never know how far it will get you.

I was very pleased to read your comments regarding breakfast; we have put considerable time and resources into getting it right – great that our guests are noticing.

Thanks again, please visit us again soon.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stay at Rydges on business and have to say that it is convenient as I do business at Woden and Belconnon. You always know what you can expect at a Rydges - A great "dream" bed and breakfast. My room 329 was excellent. New carpet made the room bright. Only down fall is the bathrooms need a revamp because they are getting on with age. Check in and out is a breeze at Capital Hill. For the money (join the Rydges Priority for free) its excellent otherwise its expensive.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3 rd floor looking into the building. But don,t get a room next to the lift, they...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the feedback, I’ll look into that noisy lift and check where we are with bathroom maintenance. While I don’t have the money at present to totally replace the bathrooms we are re-grouting continually which makes a difference.

I hope you continue staying with us continue to notice improvement in our operation of the Hotel.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stay at Rydges on business in Canberra and have to say that it is convenient and comfortable. You always know what you can expect at a Rydges - in fact you could be anywhere! Some views are better than others but my room last time was on the 5th floor looking out towards the mountain and in the early light there were three hot air balloons hanging in the sky, which was beautiful. Some floors have been refurbished and the rooms are nicely decorated and spacious. The beds are excellent, although the bedding is very warm for the temperature of the hotel and I get overheated. One negative - in the king room I was in the bed was up on a sort of platform, which is very dangerous in the dark in the middle of the night!! Breakfast is fairly standard, but I think one shouldn't have to pay extra for a latte given the prices.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I’m pleased to read we have consistently looked after you and hope we can continue to do so.

Perhaps next time you can stay an extra night and try the balloon ride over the lake, I’d be delighted to organise it for you.

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The room was spacious-we had a twin room with 2 queen beds. The service was consistent each day, making the room presentable & comfortable. The hotel iteself has great facilities-enjoyed the pool & spa & the buffet breakfast, though it could have been improved with a little more variety day to day. The location was great with no road noise-a 10 minute walk to Manuka for great cafes/bars, 15 minutes to Parliament house & a lovely tree lined walk to the conference I was attending. Bus stop to the city just around the corner. The hotel staff in general were helpful & informative.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
The rooms are certainly spacious, 34 square metres for a twin room and up to 120 m2 for some suites. I’m really so pleased you took the time to mention the Housekeeping staff thanks very much.

Fantastic feedback on the pool; it really needs to be indoors with the chilly Canberra winter. We appreciate the constructive feedback on breakfast, the chef has started rotating daily specials (today was French Toast) pleas be assured your comment did not fall on deaf ears.

I hope we see you again soon.

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We recently stayed for 3 nights at Rydges, and we did get a good rate there. However, on reflection we probably paid about what it was worth.

The rooms are very dark, they really need to do something about the lighting. The power points are at floor level, making it really hard to charge things with a normal length cord, and if you charger cord comes out of the bottom of the plug like mine does, you simply can't plug it in. The beds were comfortable, as were the pillows and there was an extra blanket in the cupboard. The room heating was very unreliable, and the hotel management must realise that as there was a plug in heater to overcome the cold. The bathrooms are in need of renovation - they're tired looking and dated. If you're a light sleeper you'll notice how loud the room doors are - if someone leaves your room or the rooms nearby you'll certainly know about it - they really slam.

At breakfast we had to ask for more food each morning, and we arrived mid-way through the breakfast service. The staff don't seem to notice that the eggs, hash browns, bread, etc were empty. It was understandable if it happened one morning, but this happened all 3 mornings. The buffet, however, is looking better in that they have replaced the old bain-marie's with tangines - however, they don't keep the food hot (especially things like the hash browns which didn't have a lid over them) - and they obviously need filling up a lot more often, which the staff are failing to do.

I really liked that they give you fresh milk in the room for your tea/coffee. Also, the staff go a long way towards making up for the shortcomings of the hotel as they're polite, efficient and friendly.

Overall we still enjoyed our stay, but the hotel is in need of attention - both the standard of the rooms and the standard of the breakfasts.

Room Tip: Due to the heating/cooling problems, I'd opt for north or west facing in winter and definitely s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I agree – the rooms need more light.

We’re testing a few different standing lamps at the moment to make sure they fit the decor and put out enough light and will hopefully get them in all rooms soon, thanks for your helpful feedback.

Quite annoying that the breakfast was not working well when you were here, I have shared and discussed your feedback with the Manager and Chef who understand the need to be more vigilant replenishing and checking the food.

I’m sure we can do better and I hope you visit us again soon, please email me if I can be of any personal assistance.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We regularly visit Canberra and always stay at Capital Hill. It is close to all the major attractions, and is a short stroll to the cafes of Manuka. This visit we noticed that the carpet in the rooms had been updated, which was nice. Unfortunately the spa was not working - it always seems to be out of order when we visit

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
.Come back - we fixed the Spa! Very annoying that it has happened to you again please accept my sincere apologies. I assume you were referring to the Spa next to the indoor pool? Let me know if you're coming back and we can upgrade you to a Spa Suite for your own personal spa.

Thanks for your favourable comments on our Hotel; I hope we see you back again soon.

jon_ackary@rydges.com

Been to Rydges Capital Hill Canberra? Share your experiences!