“Winter Escape” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Uralla
“Winter Escape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Good location, excellent, quiet room, friendly service. Easy walking distance to National Galleries, Old Parliament House, Library. Bus stop handy and reliable. Historic atmosphere of Hotel Kurrajong evident. Interesting history of building.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Narrabeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

H/K escapes that hard feel of newer style hotels. Our complaints were minor and fixable. We would certainly stay again. Next time we would expect the lighting for both bedroom and bathroom to be fixed.

By the way - food was Marvellous!

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Strabane, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I just spent 9 nights at the Kurrajong, and by the end of the stay, I felt like I'd been spoiled rotten. I love the recent refurbishment, which feels lush and opulent, but retains an art deco feel. The terrace room was beautiful and comfortable (often cold until I worked out how to switch the heating on, but very cosy once I did), and with a lovely outdoor seating area attached to the room (alas, it was too cold most days to enjoy this, but on a warmer day it would be incredible). The staff at the front desk were particularly helpful and accommodating, and so pleasant to deal with on any matter. The restaurant can get busy at breakfast time in particular, so getting second coffees sometimes took a little time, but every coffee is made to order so that's understandable. I also had several evening meals and the older gentleman who waited on me on a few of the occasions went out of his way to make every meal a pleasant one. The food was great, and I found my new favourite wine (a local ACT one that I never would have tried without the barman's recommendation). Free parking was another bonus, and if you're lucky, you can get a spot in the circular drive out front, making luggage transfers a doddle. Very nice coffee maker in the room with those little pods (delicious!) and a great selection in the mini bar. The only negative is the housekeeping wasn't quite up to scratch. I finally had to ask the front desk to have the room turned over after a week, and this was done promptly, though they inexplicably left a used blue flannel for me as well. It was tidied daily, just not deep cleaned until I asked. The wifi is also a little confusing (free, but only for the first 100MB, and if you run out, it doesn't explain, just prompts you for an access code). Still, fairly minor issues, and far outweighed by the wonderful welcome and cosy feel of the hotel. I would rather have a few niggles with housekeeping and be treated with warmth and generosity, than have hospital cleanliness and impersonal service. Next time I'm in Canberra, I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: If you're staying in warm weather, get a terrace room and enjoy the veranda with a cool glass of...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Brian M, General Manager at Hotel Kurrajong Canberra, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear maidm,

Thank you for the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback!

The team and I were delighted to read about you feeling spoilt rotten during your stay with us. My team were especially pleased by the comment you made to our team being so friendly and helpful and I am glad that we have introduced you to your new favourite wine.

I have passed on your feedback to our housekeeping manager to ensure that this is resolved.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel kurrajong in the near future.

Many thanks,

Collaroy Plateau
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We spent two nights at the Kurrajong & thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The rooms have been beautifully refurbished & were clean & very comfortable. The Kurrajong is very conveniently situated to all the major attractions. I did not see any facilities for children but is an excellent spot for adults.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Dear Barbara P,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review about Hotel Kurrajong. We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay!

I am pleased that you found our rooms so well appointed and comfortable. I appreciate your feedback on children's facilities and will look at additional items we may be able to include as we do welcome families at Hotel Kurrajong.

Thank you again for sharing the experience of your stay with us and we hope to see you again next time.

Warners Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Central to everything, would thoroughly recommend this historic hotel. Excellent staff and accommodation. Some very, very minor idiosyncrasies that am sure will be picked up and rectified after their recent revamp.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Dear geoffreyb359,

I am pleased that you found your overall experience with us a n enjoyable one and thank you for your great comments on our team I will be sure to pass this on to them.

East Lindfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I stayed at the Kurrajong as a three-year-old, so this was a nostalgia trip for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend we spent - the ambience, the service, the breakfast, and the room. Would love to stay again some time in the future.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Dear 522margaretc,

Thank you for the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback!

The team and I were delighted to read about you staying with us as a three year old and we are glad you enjoyed your stay many years later.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Kurrajong in the near future.

Many thanks,

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Well, it has been exactly 44 years since my last stay at the Kurrajong Hotel (for a month's duration). The old gal was a very stuffy establishment in those days! In 1971, I was thrown out of the dining room because my jacket and pants did not constitute a 'slack suit'. By a strange coincidence, there was a photo of the old dining room outside my room and there presiding over the dining room was the old bag who threw me out!

Anyway, I digress, that was a long time ago! My husband and I have now returned from the Kurrajong after checking out the complete refurbishment of the Hotel. I think they have done a good job with the renovation whilst remaining sensitive to the establishment's history. Let's call it 'modern vintage': older Australians will like it.

The corridors are labyrinthine and a good many of you will probably get lost. Keep a close eye on those room number directions. Also, there are plenty of dips and rises in the floorboards. Good luck to the serial trippers amongst you! They've done a good job outfitting the rooms when you consider the age of the hotel and the attendant restrictions on bathroom space. Overall, well done!

I was a bit nervous about entering the Chifley Dining room, but I've got to say the food was great. Congrats to your chefs! The servers were a tad inexperienced, but the female Spanish server was very pleasant.

We rolled up to breakfast the following morning and encountered 'brown pony tail'. We were very precise in asking for a pot of tea and a long black. Brown pony tail repeated the order and some time later distractedly plonked down a large cappuccino in front of me and a pot of tea for my absent companion. When my husband returned to his seat he eventually caught the eye of brown pony tail and explained that he'd ordered a long black. His cup was then snatched up without a word and minutes later heavily plonked back down on the table without a word being exchanged. Mmmmm! Minutes later, a woman at a nearby table returned her tea because it wasn't hot enough. This nearly put brown pony tail in a spin! So, let's just say the Kurrajong serving staff need a little bit more training.

We did have to make two requests (four hours apart) for that complimentary bottle of wine to be delivered to the room.

So, apart from the inexperienced staff issues, we enjoyed our stay at the Kurrajong and will try it again later in the year. The beds were comfortable and the deal we got was great value. My recommendation is for a bit of tweaking and this will be a great place to stay whilst in Canberra.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Kay2210,

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you did enjoy your overall stay, however, I do apologise that we did not live up to the excellent standards which we strive to provide.

I was disappointed to learn that the service you received at breakfast was poor and this is unacceptable and I have noted your comments and will address this with the team.

Once again, thank you for letting us know about your stay and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Kurrajong and exceed your expectations.

Hotel Kurrajong

Been to Hotel Kurrajong Canberra? Share your experiences!