“A one night stay” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 National Circuit | Barton, Canberra 2600, Australia   |
Ranked #33 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
“A one night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Location is perfect for visiting the wonderful government buildings like National Gallery, High Court etc. Hotel was clean and staff were very friendly and helpful to a person not from Canberra. Great stay and definitely would book again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
RM1979_ACT, General Manager at Hotel Kurrajong Canberra, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Hotel Kurrajong Canberra.

We do appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments and we hope to welcome you again to our hotel.

Robert McKenna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We recently went to Canberra to see the Turner Exhibition at the National Gallery. We decided on the Kurrajong because it was within easy walking distance of the Gallery and also around the corner from Ottomans - our favourite Canberra restaurant.
The rooms were clean but very dated. The airconditioning (it was really cold in Canberra that weekend) was so noisy we couldn't sleep with it on. At 6am other people started having and the noise woke us up. It was supposed to have free wi-fi but it wasn't woring and the staff were very unhelpful - bordering on rude.
I had very fond memories of the Kurrajong as I used to stay there with my family many years ago. I would not stay again.

Room Tip: stay at another hotel. There was no spa but the program would not let me 'untick' that box a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments. You may be aware that we have a very extensive refurbishment planned commencing late 2012. Air conditioning will be addressed at this time.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel and we hope to see you again.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I've stayed here a few times for work and always found the staff helpful, the rooms clean and quiet and the amenities good. It's centrally located, has free parking and it's own restaurant if you don't fancy going anywhere after a long day at work or exploring. Rooms have fridges and tea and coffee making facilities, ironing boards, wifi and flat screen TVs. Bathrooms are spacious and clean. Kurrajong also has great budget rooms on the premises which come without the frills (TV) but which are clean and do the job. These are exceptionally good value for money for budget travellers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments and are delighted you had a memorable experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I loved it here ... what fabulous value for so close to everything !! I didn't realise it was a training hotel. The service I received at the front desk was efficient and friendly. The service in the dining room (Friday 2nd August) was outstanding .... I just wish I had got their names ... (I was tired !!).. They offered to see if the kitchen could open early ... and were very attentive and professional. The steak was absolutely divine .... one of the best dinners I have ever had. Not only was the steak cooked to perfection.... but the green vegetables ... were freshly cooked .... wonderful !!
Such a central location ... I will definitely be back !!! Free fast wifi throughout !!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Dead quiet at weekend - and no restaurant / bar even on Sat night! But very close to Manuka and museums. Nice old historical hotel imbued with political history (Ben Chifley lived here for 8 yrs, even when PM, eschewing The Lodge. He even died here in Room 205)

The room - a King - was spacious and clean with nice in-keeping furnishings. Good functional bathroom (thankful for the heat lights in cold Canberra winter!)

The aircon is older style and noisy - hopefully will be upgraded.

Parking is limited, but they give you a dash form to stay in the 2hr zone outside.

Although walking distance to the many restaurants of Manuka, on a night below zero, a car or at least taxi is an advantage.

I'd stay here again, for lication, quiet, and nice appointments at reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2013

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is good value, comfortable accommodation within walking distance of my favourite restaurant- Ottomans, and my other favourite- The Ginger Room (at Old Parliament House). Service can be hit & miss- this is a training hotel. There is a hotel bar, but at 6pm last Saturday night, no one was manning it. Having said that, the open fire in the lobby was warming and welcoming. Being away from the city, this is also one of the quieter places to stay- & that, in my book, is worth sacrificing some high end glitz for. Oh, and take the time to read up on the history of the building...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hotel Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Off to see the footy before the check in time, we were able to get a parking pass and have our bags securely looked after at reception. We had opted to stay in two single rooms (to spare my son another night of my snoring) using a shared bathroom, and I must have been the only woman in the wing as I didn't notice that I shared with anyone. The bed was comfortable, there was a sink with a jug etc, a couple of wardrobes - the freestanding one was one too many I thought as I can't imagine fetching up in a single room with shared bathroom for an extended stay unless trying to emulate former guests such as Prime Minister Chifley and others who were not as finicky as we are today. The location is terrific for the parliamentary triangle. The Turner exhibition at NGA is brilliant and well worth a trip to Canberra. The only real criticism of the hotel was the lack of interest, and poor information provided at check in / check out but maybe we just got them on a bad day.

Room Tip: bit of a rabbit warren is an understatement and following the map was not easy but then my map readi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RM1979_ACT, General Manager at Hotel Kurrajong Canberra, responded to this review, July 18, 2013

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments. Your comments on the the information staff provided you has been taken on board and will be shared with the front desk team. We are always keen to improve and your feedback certainly helps us.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Kurrajong Canberra? Share your experiences!