“Central Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quest Canberra

You added Quest Canberra to your Saves list
Quest Canberra
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   28 West Row | Melbourne Building, Canberra 2601, Australia   |
Ranked #30 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Townsville, Australia
“Central Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

The apartments are very centrally located in a lovely old building. My apartment was clean, well equipped and relatively spacious with a nice private balcony. Front desk staff were very helpful and lent me an umbrella when I was going out for the evening and it was raining. There was a problem with the hot water for the whole building one morning, but I was given a reasonable discount on checking out because of it without having to ask for one, which I appreciated. I didn't experience any particular noise problems when I was there, but the pub is directly underneath and I can see that could be a problem on live music nights.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
QuestCanberra, General Manager at Quest Canberra, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Jo M,

Thank you for taking the time for giving your feedback from your stay at Quest Canberra. I am glad that you enjoyed your spacious apartment that we provided. Our apologies with regards to the hot water issue and I know that you can realise that some issues can be out of our control and the best way for us to respond to them is to act quickly by getting the problem fixed. I am happy that the front desk did compensate you with regards to the issue. I am sure that your next stay with us will be a lot better. I look forward to welcoming you back to the property when you next visit Canberra.

Kind Regards,
Kim Brown
Property Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

I booked here because of it's location and because it is in the Melbourne building. I was alone in a one bedroom apartment. Unfortunately I was in Canberra for a funeral and was very preoccupied with that so I missed out on the opportunity to capitalise on the central location. The Parking system was awkward being in a back lane with a steel arched individual park Lock which used a padlock and chain. The demand for parks from the surrounding properties is high so large vehicles double park etc and it can be dodgy to get in or out if it is a time of high traffic. I came 'in the outy' by mistake at night when visibility was poor and I was uncertain.

The apartment was good. Mine did not have an attractive view but I was mostly there to sleep. Staff were mostly very helpful. Arriving at night after reception was closed could have been problematic but I was sent a message to my mobile giving me a code to access a box and my plastic access card. I'd have liked to know about this before my arrival but it worked out OK.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Stayed here recently for a work trip to Canberra as I wanted to prepare my own meals and the Quest offered a small kitchenette. There was a pub located behind my room and it was pretty noisy when they were loading empty kegs out. It was also a happy hour night of the week for students so business was roaring.
The hotel was a good spot and the room was well equipped for a stay. I like that it had laundry facilities in the bathroom although I did not need to use these for an overnight stay.
See note below re reception closing time - not a problem, but need to be aware of the process or you might be locked out.
Also be aware that Canberra shuts early, so hard to get food if arriving later than 9pm.

Room Tip: Just be aware that reception closes at 10pm so have our instructions with you for this. I had no pro...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
QuestCanberra, Director of Sales at Quest Canberra, responded to this review, February 17, 2015
Thank you for reviewing our Property and yes our location is very central so you are close to all the action Canberra has to offer.
We hope to see you return to the property in the near future.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind Regards

The Quest Canberra Team
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

The band downstairs started at 9 pm and stopped at 2 am and was so loud the bass notes were lifting me off my bed! The next morning the receptionist told us that that they knew all about the noise and quite often get bad reviews about it! promised the manager would ring us and of course he didn't.
It is particularly dishonest to sell someone a room that you know it is going to be impossible for them to use for the agreed purpose, ie to sleep!

Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed a couple of nights on our regular pilgrimage to the NGA. The room was very comfortable and well appointed. A slightly annoying detail was that the small table and two chairs were placed just inside the door, so it was a bit of a squeeze to get in and out. We had a bit of trouble sussing out how to get the TV/set-top box to work, but the receptionist very helpfully came up to get it going. The only other comment is that we had a room very close to an Irish pub which was doing a roaring trade the Friday and Saturday nights we were there! Ask for a room at the other end.

Room Tip: See above: ask for a room away from the Irish pub.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My apartment was well presented, spacious and comfortable. However, the pillows need replacing immediately. My room was generally quite noisy and was in fact right above P J O'Reillys, the irish bar. On Thursday night they had a live band playing and my bed was right above the stage. Reception was not manned at 9.50pm, so I rang the after hours number and was given false hope and the person suggested this is a new occurrence. I then went down to the bar to find out when the band will stop. The after hours number did not pick up my calls after this point when I learned I wouldn't be getting any sleep until morning. The band continued and then of course, the mess had to be cleaned up. A few hours later, the buses and trucks started passing by. Won't be staying here again, particularly as I was travelling for business - you generally need sleep to be able to "do business".

Room Tip: Request a room on the "quiet" side of the building
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Our studio apartment was really just a large hotel room with a long kitchen bench and a laundry cupboard. It contained everything you need. Well almost everything. There was no coffee plunger, but there is an excellent coffee shop beside the back entrance. There was a very small table for meals, but no comfortable chair to watch TV. For that you have the bed.
There is only free wifi in the general area, not in our studio apartment so one is obliged to pay an extra $10 a day for internet access.
There is air-conditioning, but in the Canberra heatwave it struggled.
As to food, there would be literally a dozen restaurants -- Italian, Chinese, Indian, modern Australian -- on the ground floor of this elegant, heritage building. And a large supermarket a moderate walk away.
For a long term stay this is a good choice, perfectly adequate but not luxurious.

Room Tip: Book a parking space when you make your booking
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
QuestCanberra, Manager at Quest Canberra, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our property.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully if you return we recommend reserving a One Bedroom Apartment as they fully self contained and are more spacious with a separate lounge/living area with a main bedroom.
We are also working towards installing wi-fi throughout the entire property and in all apartments.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Kind Regards

The Quest Canberra Team

Been to Quest Canberra? Share your experiences!