“Our Canberra Holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Brisbane, Australia
“Our Canberra Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Mantra on Northbourne

Arrived after a long bus ride to a quick check in and room allocation.

Upon arrival to our room (820) it was nice.... Simple layout with kitchen, dining and bedroom and pleasantly spacious. The air con remote in the lounge could do with replacing as it has seen better days. A bit disappointing that there is no tv in the bedroom......most bedroomed units I have stayed in have this. The bed.......a bit firm for my liking but this seems to be common at most Mantra places I have stayed so no issue there (despite my initial thoughts re the bed I slept well every night......and of course that is the main aim of every hotel is it not?). Great that there was a dryer in the bathroom. Excellent for ensuring our towels were toasty warm when hopping out of the shower! The toiletries were ample and nice smelling.

We received complimentary sparkling wine for our anniversary which was greatly appreciated (along with a little card and chokkies). Thank you muchly for this!

The hotel is in the final stages of a soft refurb. On our second day we went out and about and upon our return we had a whole new modern and fresh dining room! The freshened look is very appealing indeed.

Our room rate included 20% discount at the on site restaurant. We enjoyed the tapas menu however must admit.....there were a couple of glitches which took the shine off an otherwise great meal. That said, we still enjoyed some yummy food there which I thoroughly recommend.

Amanda from guest services was great. We had a number of good dealings with her. Very bubbly and customer service oriented even when she couldn't get our heater to work! Well done.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and heartily recommend.

Just a reminder management to get the remote for the bedroom heater in 820 fixed!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Nathaen M,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us.

I am glad to hear that the Team here provided such wonderful service and you enjoyed your time with us.

I am pleased to hear that the rooms and our newly 'refreshed' facilities were to your liking.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and had a great anniversary in Canberra and hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again soon.

Mantra on Northbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Central, spacious, quiet and clean apartment. Put both air cons on and room warmed up nicely. Dine in meal not pleasant. Breakfast not great quality. Staff and service ok. Overall it was ok for one night but would eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ninth floor was good for me. I asked for a quiet room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear flossy82,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Mantra on Northbourne.

I appreciate your comments regarding the quality of the rooms and facilities, and am glad that these suited your requirements.

We will be continuing to ensure our hotel is clean and comfortable with our refurbishment almost completed.

I am disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the standard of the food & beverage offerings and the service you were provided was not to our usual high standards.

We hope to welcome you back when next travelling to Canberra.

Yours sincerely,

andrew.lockie@mantra.com.au
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night on business for an evening Board meeting so not much time spent in hotel reflected in my brief comments below…

The room was a reasonable size, clean and comfortable which for this trip was all that was required. No issues for me with noise.

Check in was efficient and friendly enough with check out being a little slow despite being quite early in the morning and certainly prior to peak check out time.

If I was able to get a similar price then when I return to CBR I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Essexboy999,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us.

I am pleased to hear that the location of the hotel and the size of the rooms were to your liking.

We hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again when next travelling to Canberra..

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Even though undergoing refurbishment, the apartments are clean and accommodating, the staff are friendly, welcoming, and extremely helpful. Minimal noise or interruption from the ongoing refurbishment which made for a pleasurable stay

Room Tip: Staying on higher levels was quiet. North side room get lovely winter sun
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Damo_I,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to hear that the location of the hotel was to your liking, and that the Team here helpful and welcoming!
We are very close to the completion of our room 'refresh' and hope you can come back and stay again once this is finished!
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your feedback.

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Our room was a very large apartment with a very comfortable bed and all the amenities one would need. There is an onsite restaurant, but it was very expensive. The hotel was a little further up Northbourne than we realized, so a bit of a walk to the hop-on bus and the shopping mall.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear CanadaFisher,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.
I am pleased to hear that the size rooms and cleanliness of the facilities were to your liking.
We will be continuing to ensure our rooms are clean and comfortable with a scheduled 'refresh' throughout June 2014, with completion due in mid-July .
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again when travelling to Canberra.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I planned a last minute day and half trip to Canberra and spent one night at Mantra after my original choice of accommodation booked full. I'm really glad that happened! The hotel room at Mantra was amazingly large and spacious. Much more than a single traveler needed and even bigger than the apartment where I reside. The room has a kitchen area which is great if you're looking to eat in rather than hit a restaurant, and laundry in room which I made sure to take advantage of that night.

The staff are super friendly and helpful and helped me both navigate Canberra but also maximize my limited time to see attractions. For those taking trips from Sydney this hotel is only a short bus ride from the train station and blocks from the intercity buses at Jollimont Centre.

Room Tip: A sunnier room might be a little warmer as the large room size takes longer to heat up. I would als...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Anton G,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to Canberra and Mantra on Northbourne.

I appreciate your comments regarding our rooms and facilities and I'm pleased that they suited your needs. We've only this week started a refurbishment of our rooms, so I hope you can return in the future!

We look forward to welcoming you back when next in our Nation's Capital!

sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed at the Mantra for three days and was pleasantly surprised. Before arriving, I had emailed the hotel and requested a quiet room & parking. I received an email telling me that neither could be guaranteed, but upon arrival,, the reception staff were aware of both requests, and had ensured that I had a very quiet room on 9th floor. They were really affable and helpful. The room itself was large and comfortable, although the fittings (torn bedside lamp and curtains) and bathroom are somewhat tired. The hotel restaurant was also a nice surprise, and the lass who served us and who made our cocktails had a terrific personality. The hotel's location is excellent - a short walk to Civic. A negative aspect was the night noise emanating from the streets below. Even on the 9th floor, this disrupted sleep until 2am, when it petered out. But over this, the hotel has no control.
Overall, I would heartily recommend this hotel -and again, kudos to the reception staff!

Room Tip: Choose top floor to (largely) avoid noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear melodramaboy,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay here at Mantra on Northbourne.

I am glad to hear that the Reception Team here provided such wonderful service and you enjoyed your time with us.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the quality of our product, and am pleased to advise that just last week we began a refurbishment of our hotel which will be completed in early July, 2014.

We look forward to welcoming you back when next travelling to Canberra.

Mantra on Northbourne

Been to Mantra on Northbourne Canberra? Share your experiences!