“Good Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Launceston, Australia
“Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

On arrival staff were lovely. I had booked a 2 bedroom apartment with the Mantra site & requested high floor with views if possible, as we were there for a special occasion with my parents. Went to our room & the twin beds (for my sister & I) were not organised for one room & there really wasn't a view. Made a phone call to Reception & at first it was not possible to move, but a quick return phone call back to us & we were promptly moved to a 2 bedroom apartment on the top floor. Thankyou. Views were ok - I would suggest if possible ask for a room looking out to the Telstra Tower which was on the other side of the building to where we were looking. I was grateful for the move as this was mainly for our parents benefit.
Breakfast was nice & if we wanted anything extra cooked it was not a problem.
It was a very easy walk to Restaurants & Shops. We hired a car for our day trips.
I feel the apartments need a bit of new decor - The bathrooms definitely need updating. A bit of maintenance required in our bathroom. Lamp shades were a bit untidy in our bedroom. We asked for hand towels but did not get any. Other than that the apartments were very clean. But it would be nice if a few things were updated. Being on the top floor we didn't have a noise problem either.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Shelley B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us at Mantra on Northbourne.

I am glad to hear that the Team here provided such wonderful service and you enjoyed your time with us.

I appreciate your comments regarding the tiredness of the the decor; We will be continuing to ensure our rooms are clean and comfortable with a scheduled refurbishment over May & June 2014.

We look forward to welcoming you back when next travelling to Canberra.

Mantra on Northbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

The location of this Mantra is in a great location. Short walk to great restaurants and shops. Check in was quick and smooth. The room was clean. There were no hand towels in the bathroom. I'm not sure if it was an over sight or they just don't supply them anymore. Also the bath needs a non slip mat as it was very slippery getting out of the shower. Also I hate having to lean right in under the shower to turn the knobs on.
My pet hate when we book a self contained apartment is they have barely anything in the kitchen. There was no bowl to use in the microwave. No baking dish for the oven. No baking tray. Pretty much we were unable to cook as there wasn't anything to use except a frypan and saucepan.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Donna T,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

I am pleased to hear that the location of the hotel and thecleanliness of the facilities were to your liking. I am sorry that your kitchen was not fully stocked per our standards, and will ensure this is looked into.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed here for a long weekend and found it in a very handy location. We could walk down to the shops and restaurants in Bunda Street and there is a playground at Glebe Park, about a 10 minute walk away. We had our 18 month old with us and there was plenty of room for the portacot and our stuff. Very comfortable room, however we were directly above the underground car park roller door, so having the window open was impossible as the door would wake us and our son up every time it opened and closed! We were looking forward to a swim in the heated pool after the long drive up, however it was stone cold, so that was disappointing. We also wanted to eat in one night and were told the restaurant was closed but we could get tea of coffee! I found that a little silly for a long weekend. In general, very modern and comfy and would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for one away from the underground car park door!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Annie L,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

I am pleased to hear that the location of the hotel and the spacious room was to your liking. I appreciate your feedback about the noise fom the rollershutter, and sorry this disturbed an otherwise pleasant stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again soon.

Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We liked the Mantra for one big thing, the staff were refreshingly responsive, friendly, nice and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a one bedroom apartment with a rollaway bed, but the sofa bed would have been fine as it was the cleanest we have seen for a long time and it was comfortable. The rollaway was in large bedroom though and that was good for noise etc. The main bed was hard and awful though, it woke me up a lot. Mantra get some bed toppers and it would make a difference. The tap in the adjacent room squealed, which was annoying. The rooms were comfortable, housekeeping needed to wipe surfaces etc but it was mainly clean. The rate was a bit expensive but it was school holidays. Parking was underneath and there is a daily charge. The indoor pool was small,but good. We got a quests on package which was worthwhile for us that included breakfast. Breakfast was ok, with a variety of pastries etc. The hot food was really ordinary though! The hotel was a comfortable walk to the war memorial and the city centre. All things considered it was a great stay and we would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on a higher floor, no view though.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear loveholidays11,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us.
Thank you for comments regarding the cleanliness and breakfast offering.
We hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again soon.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We had a great wotif deal. We had a room with twin beds and another three familys had 1bdr apts and both where roomy. If you are travelling as a couple suggest the apart for space. From the time we checked in our experience was fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble. From WA we struggled with 3hr time difference for the first few days and coming back from hockey we went to rest to get lunch, kitchen was closed but they still offered a toasted cheese sandwich.. . We also ate at restaurant and it was again was fantastic. Great Pizza place opposite and also at the back there is a burger place that also does breakfast Close to Canberra Centre (huge shopping area 10 min walk). If I had gone on previous reviews would not have stayed hear and had a great holiday.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Tracbird,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us.
I am pleased to hear that the facilities were to your liking and that the Team here provided great service.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again soon.

Sanctuary Point, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Great 1 bed apartment, roomy and all the mod cons! Even had a washing machine and dryer! The best thing was a comfortable bed with pillow choices!!! It had a verandah and was close to all shops and shopping!

Room Tip: Get an apartment usually only an extra $20 to $50 bucks if booking through wotif
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear steve i,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to hear that the room and facilities were to your liking, and that the location of the hotel suited your needs.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed at the Mantra recently on business - it was a Wotif Secret hotel at a very good rate. Wotif is pre-pay of course and when I checked in (and put up with the usual whinge about using Wotif instead of booking direct - why put it up as a Secret Hotel if you don't want people to purchase it?) I gave over my credit card for the usual nominal pre-authorisation; in this instance i was told it was $100 which is fine.

Imagine my surprise when I checked my credit card a day or two later to discover they had pre-authorised $1100; that's right One Thousand One Hundred Dollars.

This is not acceptable behaviour; it has now cleared but what if it had just gone ahead and kept the money?

This hotel needs to seriously review its staff training and financial procedures - I certainly won't be staying there again - but then I don't suppose they want me anyway as I booked through Wotif.

Oh by the way, room was warm, quiet and comfortable and staff was pleasant - so what a let down.

Room Tip: Try and stay away from the two ends of the hotel as they are on busy and noisy roads.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mountainview547,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Mantra on Northbourne.

I am disappointed to hear that the standard credit card authorisation procedures were not followed upon your arrival. I have brought this to the attention of our Front Office Team to ensure this doesn't happen again.

It seems that the other aspects of your time with us were of a positive nature, so I sincerely apologise that this has tarnished your experience, but I completely understand your frustrations.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back under more pleasant circumstances in the future, and please find my details below if I can be of any assistance.

Yours sincerely,

andrew.lockie@mantra.com.au

Been to Mantra on Northbourne Canberra? Share your experiences!