“Fabulous property for a Floriade overnight” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save
Ranked #24 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Brisbane
“Fabulous property for a Floriade overnight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We were coming back from the snow and booked a night at Mantra on Northbourne. We visited Floriade the next morning and then went to the airport to fly home.

The hotel was easy to find, check in was quick and the 1 bed suite was absolutely enormous. The sofa bed was made up and laid out as we had requested in our booking.

To find a laundry in the bathroom was a bonus after being at the snow and not having easy access to a laundry. I couldn't find the washing powder (I discovered later it was in the cupboard under the laundry sink) so the front desk team were up at our room in a blink with more. Yay team!

The included buffet breakfast was great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear mssell,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us.
I am pleased to hear that the rooms and facilities were to your liking, and furthermore that the Team here assisted in a memorable stay!
I also hope you enjoyed Floriade, which just seems to get better every year:)
We hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again soon.

Mantra on Northbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Bowral, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Thank you to the Mantra and the Front Desk Gentleman who gave us excellent service!
We loved the special which included a great bottle of red wine , late check-out and an super value price. We appreciated the help with finding our dinner restaurant circled on the hotel map....our taxi driver had never heard or Gorman Arts Centre.
And extra thanks for the room upgrade...we are still smiling days later and telling our friends.
Xx to the Mantra!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear DairyBelleCottages,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay here at Mantra on Northbourne.

I am glad to hear that the Team here provided such wonderful service and you enjoyed your time with us.

Our pleasure for the upgrade and we're glad you're still raving about it:)

We look forward to welcoming you back when next travelling to Canberra.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed over the past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our time. Came to Canberra for Floriade as I do every year, and stayed with the Floriade Package as it was greatest value.

The hotel itself is a little outdated, but it's location, staff, food, and facilities are great.

I have to say a big thank you to Anthony and Sam on the front desk! It's great to see young people still passionate about hospitality work (working it in my whole life I know what it's like some busy nights). Whether I called for room service, maintenance or housekeeping - one of the two showed up within minutes, no issue.

Will definitely return to mantra in the future.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear m_wilson456,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent experience here at Mantra on Northbourne.

I am glad to hear that Anthongy and Sam provided such wonderful service and you enjoyed your time with us. Furthermore, it's wonderful to know that the food offerings, location and facilities all impressed you!

We look forward to welcoming you back when next travelling to Canberra and over the next Floriade Festival!

Gosford, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Staff very friendly and location was very good for our needs. For somewhere to put your head on a pillow for an overnight stay, it was acceptable. Yes the bathroom was a bit dated but it was clean and all other requirements (fresh linen, towels etc) were there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Edward M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Mantra on Northbourne.

I am pleased to hear that the rooms and cleanliness of the facilities were to your liking and the location of the hotel suited your needs.

Thank you for your comments regarding the quality of our product; we will be continuing to ensure our rooms are clean and comfortable with a scheduled refurbishment in the near future.

We hope to welcome you and your Family back to Mantra on Northbourne again soon.

Canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Their resturant was excellent.Bathroom cleanliness not up to scratch+Exhaust fan not working.Locality was easy walk to shops and bus stops.Very comfortable.Staff very helpful and friendly.A bit noisy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Julie B,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.
I am pleased to hear that the Team here provided such great service and the restaurant facilities and offerings were to your liking.
I apologise for the shortfalls in cleanliness and of the bathrooms and the unpleasant smell. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our hotel, and I am sorry that we have not provided this during your stay.
I have provided my direct details below, and if you could advise me of which room you were staying I will ensure this is looked into.
We hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The good - very friendly and helpful staff.
- the location (for our purposed)

The not so good - the room (twin) - it felt like a dormitory
- the bathroom seemed very dated, and there was a strong smell of urine
- paying for internet access
- expensive breakfast and not very good quality

We were booked in for 2 nights but had an opportunity to stay with some friends, so did not bother with the second night (even though we had paid for it). A good decision.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear limetime05,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.
I am pleased to hear that the Team here provided such great service and the location of the hotel suited your needs.
I apologise for the shortfalls in cleanliness and of the bathrooms and the unpleasant smell. Furthermore I am sorry that the breafast facilities were not up to standard. I will ensure this is passed onto our Chef.
We hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again soon.

Forbes, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed with my family at The Mantra on Saturday 31August for $389 for two rooms plus $12 for parking . The check in lady asked for photo ID and I showed my driver's license and she asked me to take it out of the plastic sleeve in my wallet as she needed to photocopy it, a waste of time and a bit draconian I felt, Iron curtain stuff. This is the second time in two weeks that I have been asked for this and the next time, I will not do it.
I stay in a lot of hotels and I know what is the norm and what is not. Indeed I have stayed in other Mantra accommodation in Mooloolaba and Adelaide and didn't have such a hassle. I asked why she needed a photocopy of my license when I had prepaid and they had already taken $100 from my credit card as security and her answer was, "Company policy when it booked through a third party", we booked through needitnow.com. Mantra on Hindmarsh either does not have such a policy or does not enforce it. However, I won't be giving my license in future, what will they do then, I guess we will see. I say to others, refuse to give your license to be photocopied, very few hotels have this policy and the ones that do need to change it. I stay for business and my interests in checking in are as follows;
1. Where is the lift
2. What time is breakfast and where is it
3. How do I connect to Wi-Fi
None of this was explained and I forgot to ask due to the hassle…
To be fair, the room was neat and tidy and probably reasonable value. There was bird droppings all over the balcony, been there for months and in full view at the side of the air conditioner and over the table and chairs and it took us about 30 minutes to make the place decent. That done, the balcony was quite a pleasant place to enjoy a drink. There was no complimentary water and they charge for Wi-Fi and there was no information in the room about checkout time.

The breakfast…….yes, the breakfast. I stayed a few times in the Mantra in Hindmarsh Square in Adelaide and the breakfast was excellent and was expecting the same but was disappointed. Most items of food were not available for long periods, apparently, when they replenish the food, they take away about half a dozen containers and bring them back one at a time. The scrambled egg looked and tasted like slop (and there was no other egg choices), inedible in my opinion although prunes and nuts were good.
The tables were dirty, although they removed the plates etc after the previous guests, they had not bothered to clean the table, we got serviettes and cleaned our table and got the cutlery etc. Obviously, they were short staffed although it was a week before the election and not many pollies or their advisers in town. Perhaps they took advantage of this to send the staff on annual leave. The staff that were there were obviously inexperienced, when I finished I went looking for tooth picks and eventually asked one of the staff who replied that he would ask the chef, obviously he was new, he returned with two picks in his hand although they were not wrapped.
However, the worst thing about breakfast was the dirty floor, the carpet was grimy and filthy. I am the kind of person who does not complain, I vote with my feet. In all honesty, if I have to point out such blatant shortcomings, there are other problems. I don't complain unless it becomes unbearable……joints like this damage the brand….no one seemed to care.
On leaving, we had to get clearance from reception to get the car out, perhaps they have extra security in Canberra due to the presence of politicians…I don't know ……. it is a very odd place to stay…..

Room Tip: Room was okay but for the hotel in general, chose another