“Excellent location in central Canberra” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save
Ranked #28 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent location in central Canberra”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I booked through Expedia what I thought was a 2 room suite but got 2 standard rooms. When we booked in I explained that I had brought my 91 year old mother and I wanted adjoining rooms so that I could be nearby if she needed me. The receptionist upgraded us to a 1 room suite and an adjacent double room that were entered via a common doorway, at no extra cost. We were also allowed to check in early as we had travelled up from Melbourne in the early morning. We had a room service meal at night that was OK but not really value for money. It was very convenient though! The bed was a bit hard bit the linen and towels were excellent quality.

Room Tip: Front rooms have lovely views of the hills. Suites have cooking facilities, dish washers and washing...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Julie K,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay here at Mantra on Northbourne.
I am glad to hear that the Team here provided such wonderful service and you enjoyed your time with us. It's pleasing to hear that the Team assisted in making your family comfortable and that we could provide an early check in for you!
I appreciate you feedback on the quality of the facilities and have forwarded this to the relevant staff members for review.
We hope to welcome you back when next travelling to Canberra.

Mantra on Northbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have stayed at the Manta Hotel on Northbourne a couple of times before and I have previously rated it as a good hotel. That has changed.

I regularly stay in hotels around Australia and internationally, so feel qualified to make the assessment I am going to make.

Whilst check-in was friendly and efficient, my extreme disappointment in this hotel was to do with the room.

I had room 411. Upon entry to the room I noticed a number of stains on the carpet. I also noticed a whole in the bathroom door which had been patched up but not painted. There was mould and discolouring in the courner of the bath (shower over bath) and marks over many of the walls in the room.

The bed was absolutely dreadful. I sat on the edge of the bed and it feels like there were pieces of wood in the edge of the bed. Easily the worst mattress I have slept on for many years.

I am not sure if the hotel is updating rooms and this room is yet to be done, however if other rooms at the hotel are as bad as this one, then I suggest people reconsider and find another hotel.

There was a split system air-conditioner in the lounge area. It was quite noisy. There was also a split system air-conditioner in the bedroom. Both were really old and noisy. It was really warm (unusual) weather and split system air-conditioners are noisy and not suitable for hotel rooms.

I was staying for work, however I get to choose what hotels I stay at and won't be staying here again.

I ate in the hotel restaurant the night I arrived and ordered a chicken ceasar salad. The meal was very average with the ceasar dressing just clumped in the salad.

I have uploaded a number of photographs on the marks on the wall. I took them with my phone, so quality is not great, but you will see the marks and drips on the wall. The sliding glass door to the balcony was also filthy with fingerprints. Tried to take a photo to show, however it didn't work.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Curfew156,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Mantra on Northbourne.

I am disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the standard of the room that you were allocated, especially considering that you have stayed here in the past and seemingly not had such issues.
I am sorry to read that the carpet was stained; we schedule carpet cleaning for all rooms on a regular basis, so I will ensure that this is brought to the attention of our Housekeeping Team. Furthermore, the general cleanliness of the entire apartment looks to have been let down, which I sincerely apologise for.
We have recently completed a full refurbishment of the public areas and hallways and to areas of the hotel rooms and apartments. We pride ourselves one the cleanliness of our product, but it looks like we have not come close to meeting expectations on this occasion.
We will be continuing to ensure our rooms are clean and comfortable with a scheduled refurbishment in the near future.
It was pleasing to hear that the staff was friendly during your time with us, but this does not excuse the issues encountered with regards to the cleanliness.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future under more pleasant circumstances.
Please find my details below. I invite you to contact me directly to discuss in more detail and then I can further address these issues.

andrew.lockie@mantra.com.au
Ph: 02 6243 2508
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Friendly reception staff, comfortable room, good breakfast options and great location. When I checked out and found that a rather rude person had charged their evening meal to my room, the reception staff where quick to rectify and pleasant and helpful throughout. I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Keljw,

I am glad to hear that the Team here provided such pleasant service and rectified the issues will the bill immediately.
Furthermore, it's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that the location of the hotel and the breakfast was to your liking!
We look forward to welcoming you back when next travelling to Canberra.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was so disappointes when I discovered that my room was near the lifts, but I really shouldnt have worried. My room 1 bedroom was very large, clean and quiet. Rooms looked a little dated and could do with a bit of a refresh but overall I had a very pleasant stay.

Stayed March 2013
Dear Kyiha,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to hear that the room you stayed in was quiet and cleanliness of the facilities were to your liking.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

When booking a hotel, I encourage people to look into an apartment stay. The Mantra nailed it on the head in providing a home away from home feel.. The one bedroom apartment was more than enough room for two of us - it's just a shame that we had such an ugly view of the building next door.
Inroom dining was good, although I would suggest to your chef that he doesnt use so much salt in the burger. Not everyone is looking for a salty meal.
Reception was friendly enough, but I would suggest an express checkout for those who dont need to settle any charges as the front desk was busy on Sunday morning.
Overall a pleasant stay and would look at staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear casmurnieks,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us.
I am pleased to hear that the apartment that you stayed in was comfortable and had a 'home away from home feel'!
Thank you for your feedback regarding the quality of the food; I have passed your comments to our Kitchen Team for future reference. Furthermore you suggestions of an express check out option have been taken on board as I understand there can be a wait during a busy departure period.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

It's always nice to stay in an apartment , rather than a hotel room. The mantra apartment we stayed in was huge. Large kitchenette, laundry facilities, huge bedroom, with a comfy queen bed. It was clean, and the staff friendly and helpful. Only let down was the indoor heated pool was out of action , due to ? Maintenance . Shame there were added costs for the underground parking.

Room Tip: We had room 814 which was quiet and at the side.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear sydney_0013,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.
I am pleased to hear that the rooms and cleanliness of the facilities were to your liking, and that the Team was friendly and helpful.
Please accept my apologies for the closing of the pool facilities. We had to urgently replace the pool pump and the new one did not arrive in time for the weekend. We had alternate arrangements for pool access with another facility just up the road from us, however I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just stayed at Mantra on Northbourne with my young family. We found the location perfect for our needs and only a short stroll from a great selection of restaurants and cafes. The kitchen is suitable to cook a meal and as we have young children it was very useful as were the laundry facilities.

Staff were very helpful and eager to please.

Would recommend this hotel to any family and we will stay again - thanks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your wedding function here at Mantra on Northbourne.
I am glad to hear that the Team here provided such wonderful service and you enjoyed your time with us. It's also great to see that the apartments suited the needs of your family.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next travelling to Canberra.

Mantra on Northbourne

Been to Mantra on Northbourne Canberra? Share your experiences!