“Nice hotel, good location.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save
Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Cessnock, Australia
“Nice hotel, good location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed with Husband, 3.5yr old & 1.5yr old in a 1 bedroom apartment. room 913 was nice, clean, with kitchenette, which contained stove top, microwave & dish washer (no oven), & basic cooking utensils as well as a washer & dryer. Handy when your travelling with kids. There was also a good sized work desk in the bedroom.

The downside was the dirtiness of the balcony, covered in pigeon poo, you couldn't sit out on it in comfort. I requested at reception that it be cleaned, as we were going out for the day & the young man assured me that he would get housekeeping to attend to it. It didn't get cleaned. The room was also noisy. Although it was on the top floor, there was still some street noise for restaurants down below as the night went on, & a considerable amount of wind noise that whistled down the lane way between the hotel & the building next door. It acted like a wind tunnel & prevented you from keeping the window open all night. There was also not much of a view, just looking at the black building next door & a glimpse of Telstra tower if you looked to the right off the balcony.

The buffet breakfast was ok, all the usual things you would expect. The only standout feature was the scrambled eggs, watery & a bit flavourless, not very nice. Car parking was easy, secure parking under the building accessed by your room key. $12 a day, which is good compared to Sydney prices.

Would stay here again next time we visit, it's in a good location, in walking distance to convenience stores, restaurants, shops. Also only a 5min drive to all the central sites of Canberra CBD.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back get a bit of street and restaurant noise. Those on the right side of the buil...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.
I am pleased to hear that the rooms and facilities were to your liking.
I am disappointed to hear that the balcony was not clean on arrival and that this was not cleaned upon your request.
We pride ourselves on ensuring that our rooms are clean, so I will ensure that this is brought to the attention of our Housekeeping Team.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that the hotels location suited your needs.
We hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again soon.

Mantra on Northbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We came to stay to go to the exhibition which was the total highlight Awesome if you get the chance take up the deal they offer it is well worth it!
We stayed here once before when they first opened and we enjoyed both stays. Being able to just wander to the civic centre and eat at some lovely restaurants is excellent. Reception and the ladies in the bar were all lovely to deal with. We will be back for the Turner exhibition.

Stayed February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your return visit to Canberra and Mantra on Northbourne.
I am glad to hear that the Front office and Restaurant Team here provided such wonderful service and you enjoyed your time with us.
The Toulouse Lautrec Exhibition has proved to be a great success and we look forward to welcoming you back for the winter Turner Exhibition.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed in a 1-bedroom apartment overlooking the street to the rear of the hotel. Scenic view of one of the nearby mountains. Great locations only blocks away from city centre and near to the Melbourne Building which has great restaurants and bars - go there!

I've stayed at Mantra before so I know you can't really go wrong. The 1-bedroom apartment was ENORMOUS and comfortable. But there were a few small issues that detracted from my experience. The pool is a dingy little 10-by-2 metre thing in the basement. It was hard to get to (you have to use the fire stairs) and there were no towels down there. Ditto the gym.

The room was fine but many of the features were showing their age. Ancient CRT TV and airconditioners were highlights of this. While having a washer and dryer in your room is fantastic, our units could not have been newer than 15 years old. The stove was a relic from the 1960s. Still, the room has everything you need for a long term stay. Very liveable.

One last thing. The car parking. You CAN pay $12 for on-site parking, which is in the hot and fetid basement of the hotel. If you're arriving in town after 5, just park on the street. It's free and there are plenty of parks. Even if you leave your car behind during the day, you are sure to find other parking options in the area. It's Canberra, after all, not Sydney!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.
I am disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the standard of the room that you were allocated, and that some of the hotelt facilities were not up to scratch.
We have recently completed a full refurbishment of the public areas and hallways and to areas of the hotel rooms and apartments.
We will be continuing to ensure our rooms are clean and comfortable with a scheduled refurbishment in the near future.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We have recently stay at the Mantra Hotel on Northbourne Avenue in Canberra during the long weekend of Australia Day and our experience was excellent from all points of view; the welcome at the front desk, the room provided, the facilities and especially the service provided by the hotel staff in the restaurant and everywhere, something which has prompted us to openly say to all staff of Mantra Hotel on Northbourne; Thank You for your kindness and please keep your nice way of taking care of guests like us, it is highly appreciated when away from home. Nanza & Alfonse

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay here at Mantra on Northbourne.
I am glad to hear that the Team here provided such wonderful service and that the facilities were to your liking.
Furthermore, I am happy that you enjoyed your time in Canberra and with us!
We look forward to welcoming you back when next travelling this way.

NSW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at the Mantra on Northbourne. Reception was smooth and fast. Usually when I walk into a hotel room or apartment it's relatively easy to find something good to say. Unfortunately I did not feel that way when I walked into my one bedroom apartment. The decor was possibly the worst I have ever seen - red carpet (badly stained) with sofa and chairs in varying shades of red and orange, walls were a dull dingy colour. The shower was in the bath, the bathroom also had a full laundry including laundry tub - I don't think I've ever seen a laundry tub in a hotel apartment, let alone in the bathroom. I felt as though I was showering in the laundry! We had a outstanding view of Officeworks from our window! Each night we were woken up by street noise (despite being on the 3rd floor).
Despite these critisicms the apartment was very clean and the sofa, chairs and bed were very comfortable. The staff were all excellent, no complaints whatsoever. The food in the restaurant was very good, but I was surprised when I went to dinner on my last night, to find it does not open on Public Holidays. We had room service, which unfortunately was not up to the same standard as the restaurant food. We talked to other guests who were happy with their rooms, so I suspect maybe some have been refurbished. I can't praise the reception staff and restaurant staff highly enough, nothing was too much trouble for them.

Room Tip: I think the higher floors must have had reasonable views - as shown on the website. Sorry I don'...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Mantra on Northbourne.
I am disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the standard of the room that you were allocated, and that the facilities were not up to scratch.
I am glad to hear that the service provided by our Team and the cleanliness of the facilities were to your liking.
We hope to welcome you back when next travelling to Canberra.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We chose the Mantra due to a great deal from Wotif and could not have been happier. The location within a couple of blocks if the Canberra CBD meant that we mostly didn't have to drive and the hotel itself was great.

We stayed in one of the conjoined rooms which featured a queen-suite with full kitchen and ensuite bath for my wife and me and a generous twin room for the kids. Having the original split-room doors (in addition to a "hallway" formed by the outer door meant that we could have full privacy from the kids at night whilst still knowing they were secure in their room.

The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful, making us feel most welcome. They came across as more genuine than you sometimes experience at large chain hotels.

Probably my only criticism is that there were too few towels supplied. Supplying only bathtowels and a single facecloth in each bathroom seemed unnecessarily stingy; I'm used to a facecloth and hand-towel per person.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us at Mantra on Northbourne.
I am glad to hear that the Team here provided such excellent service and you enjoyed your time with us.
I am also pleased that the rooms and the facilities were to your liking.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back when next travelling to Canberra.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

After a long day and a bad air flight it was a pleasure to arrive at the hotel to be greeted by happy staff and an extremely efficient book in process.
I took advantage of the in house room service for diner and was surprised at the quality of the meal and the size of the portions provided. As a frequent traveler this can not always be attributed to room service menus.
The service and attitude of the staff in both the dining room at breakfast and at reception was a winner and the standard of the room was very good.
I will most definately be staying at this hotel again on my visits to Canberra.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.
I am glad to hear that the Team here provided such wonderful service and you enjoyed your time with us.
We hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again soon.

Mantra on Northbourne

Been to Mantra on Northbourne Canberra? Share your experiences!