“Not a 4.5 star hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Sydney
“Not a 4.5 star hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

We are two couples stayed at Medina in June, 2010. We paid AUD230 for a two bedroom apartment and an additional AUD12 for 1 day parking. The room is modern and clean. The main bedroom has an ensuite and the second bathroom has a shower with laundry facility. My biggest complain is that the hot water ran out too quickly. After two people finished taking shower, the hot water had almost run out (they only showered for combined less than 40mins). I had no choice but took shower with cold water for 10 minutes and my husband had to wait for a few hours to take shower. Not a good experience in the middle of winter and I certainly didn't expect it from a 4.5 star hotel. The hotel also requested 1% surcharge for payments by credit card.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
goulburn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

A much anticipated trip was totally ruined by staying here, so much so that we were very excited to be going home! As we live in rural NSW we asked for a room with a view of the city - what we actually got was a loungeroom balcony directly above the entry to the McDonalds drive-thru (you couldn't even sit there because of the exhaust fumes) and a main bedroom window directly above the entry/exit to the underground carpark. Even with all the windows, doors and heavy curtains shut it was still incredibly noisy. We were lucky to get 2 hours sleep a night as the cars into the drive-thru were non-stop and a McDonalds delivery truck/forklift unloaded at about 5am.

On a positive note, the room was clean and tidy, and the beds very comfy. The gym was well equipped and the pool temperature was pleasant. The staff at the front counter and in the cleaning crew were friendly and helpful.

Would recommend the complex but if you get this room, you should probably spend all night on the town and sleep during the day...

If I knew about the drive-thru under the building I doubt I would have stayed here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

I am a frequent visitor to the James Court, I live in Sydney but my partner and I have friends and family in Canberra and we always stay here.

Have stayed many times and each time I enjoy my trip highly. The executive suites are very spacious and comfy, like having our own little apartment in the ACT. Its our home away from home.

My last few visits have been for a family member's 6th birthday party, where I was tasked last minute to make the child's birthday cake the night before. I was able to make a birthday cake from scratch in the kitchen suite, I was fairly impressed with that lol. The kitchen was well equipped, has a full sized fridge, oven, stove top, microwave, dishwasher and plenty of utensils, plates cups and pots/pans etc. Has a washing machine and drier, I can do a load of washing in the room, its fanstastic.

Foxtel access. My one complaint is the TV remotes need replacing, some of the buttons dont work, or need to be pressed in so hard to register. The heating and air con has worked perfectly each and every time. A TV in the bedroom and the lounge room. A dining room table.

The location alone is handy, being right in Civic, a short walk to the major shopping mall, a McDonalds downstairs. Not a far drive to Dixon for the foodies/restuarant part of town.

I love my little weekends away in Canberra, I just feel so at home at the James Court. The staff are even beginning to know us by name lol :)

Thanks to the staff for making our weekends away so wonderful!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

A vague noise highlighted by the children got louder when we opened the unit door. The fire alarm was ringing, to our surprise there was no fire evacuation plan or advice on emergency assembly points visible anywhere in unit 803 (the top floor), the compendium did not appear to have consulted the relevant Australian Standard on Emergency Procedures - it referred to filling the bath tub and sitting in it and the possibility of needing to break a window to get fresh air, a call to reception indicated that they were trying to identify the source of the alarm and not to worry. This is not my first stay but it will be my last! My family and my safety are paramount. Oh and yes I agree with the other review re cleanliness - our balcony had been frequently visited by birds and was a potential zoonoses hotspot.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

Check in went well. But have nobody to help with the luggage. We stay on 2 bedroom apartment. The kitchen is well equipped, with large fridge, a microwave and a dishwasher. Dining table for 4 people. Living room with LCD TV, the sofa had some marks. The master bedroom with ensuite has 1 king bed and LCD TV, is small in size. The ensuite has spa, but feels really crowded, there's not much room to move. The second bedroom had 2 single bed, which supposed to fit only 1, so the door can't even be fully open. Since we don't spend that much time in the bedroom, it's not a big problem. The parking space is underground is dark, and very difficult to find a parking spot that's not reserved. Overall it's a nice place to stay if you have your car, since the location is far away from shopping area.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
bundeena
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

So surprised how nice our 2 bedroom apartment was I didnt want to stay here due to TA reports but nothing left we were in Canberra for the french masters like every one else.
room was fresh clean nice view of pool,lots of room. the pool and spa were nice after waiting 21/2 ot get into art exibition hotel 5min walk to Bunda st where all the cafe's restaurants shops are.The staff were very nice also at this hotel, maybe rooms have been renovated also nice big spa bath. would stay here again with friends room$240 a night.did not like the car parking fee though.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

We stayed here in Dec 2000 and everything is stil exactly the same. The same tired old furniture however with a layer of ingrained dirt. The bedrooms are tiny and I hit my arm numerous times during the night on the side table - there was no where to move it to. The toilet paper is akin to McDonalds bulk toilet rolls - I expect more from a 4 star property. The rooms are very noisy if you are overlooking the pool as whilst the pool closes at 9pm, the guests can stay as late as they like yahooing and then cleaner commences cleaning the area at 6am. The staff are automated and my young man had a touch of attitude when I asked about my frequent flyer points. There are better self contained apartments very close by which we will go back to next time. I am surprised that the Medina group continues to attach its name to this property as it isn't up to their usual standard.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court? Share your experiences!