“dont bother” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Sydney, Australia
“dont bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The james court hotel has been a favourite of mine since i began travelling to canberra on business about six years ago. It used to be a beautifully kept, well maintained and run well. What a shock when I checked in this time. Dirty carpet, kitchen filthy, mark all over walls and dirty rubbish left behind. I am not sure why medina is associated with this property as all the other propertys I have been to are quite good. Dryer didnt work,dustier inside than out, iron left marks on my clothes, fridge had food from previous guest. The biggest thing for me is the mould throughout the bathroom and all the little hairs that were left behind. Even after a shower still felt dirty. What a shame they have let this place go to ruins. Wont ever be back.....ever. My advice is to stay at mantra or somewhere else where they take pride in their work.

Room Tip: no room. go elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Amanda I, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Adina Apartment Hotel Canberra, James Court . I was disappointed to read that your experience did not meet your expectations and would like to apologise. We do strive to maintain the upkeep and cleanliness of the hotel, however I will pass on your comments onto to our housekeeping and maintenance departments.
Please contact me directly at the hotel if you wish to discuss you stay in more detail, we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Kind Regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Yes the macdonalds 24 hour place is an unfortunate part of the building - as is the massive construction site next door -
But my apartment was higher up, with less noise and views of mount ainslie.
Large, perfectly amenable living space with all mod cons and free newspapers in the morning .
I was there for three weeks and enjoyed my stay, mindful of the enormous work the staff put in to maintain such a large block in reasonable condition.
Civic and the Canberra centre just a short walk away and the delights of the coffee houses in the streets behind the building.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of Adina Apartment Hotel Canberra, James Court, we really appreciate the time you have taken to write it and your positive comments.

I will share your feedback with the team and hope we will see you again when you are next in Canberra.

Kind Regards
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This place was quite good - spacious 2 bed apartment although the bedrooms were smallish. Furniture a bit tired and some street noise even though the windows were all closed. Extra $15 per night for car parking. Checkout was slow. We got a really good price on the adina website so that was a big plus!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Amanda I, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Ciara,

Thank you for staying with us here at Adina Apartment Hotel Canberra, James Court and for your feedback.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our spacious apartments and that you also found a great rate on our Toga Hotels website. Please be assured that the concerns mentioned regarding the apartment furniture and parking will be discussed internally with our team and owners as this is valued feedback to us.
Ciara, thank you for taking the time to leave your comments and we sincerely hope to welcome you back to the Adina Apartment Hotel Canberra, James court in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Having read the trip advisor reviews after we had been booked into this hotel by a travel agent, I was really worried. However although it was by no means the best hotel we have stayed in , it was also not the worst. I think we may have had a refurbished room (806) on the top floor, as the couch had only a couple of stains. The rest of the apartment was mostly clean. Wifi is available, but the cost is exorbitant. We really only slept in the apartment, eating out for all meals. The location was nice and central, but the 24hour Maccas was noisy. I don't think we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for an upper floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Fiona,

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your recent stay here at Adina Apartment Hotel Canberra, James Court. I am sorry that your experience here did not exceed your expectations, please allow me on behalf of the team here to express our sincerest apologies.
At Adina, we strive to provide superior service and comfort to all of our guests, therefore your feedback is very important to us. The issues raised have been investigated with our team to ensure we continue to improve on the comfort of our guests at the hotel. It is our hope that we could have another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and If I can offer any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly via the details below.

Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed in the two bedroom apartment for four nights and honestly couldn't wait to get back home. The first room I was assigned had curtains hanging off the rails and smelt like someone had been smoking in it. Without even laying on the bed I could see it had sunk in at the middle. I called reception to ask to be moved which resulted in me waiting 20 minutes for a call back which never came. I called again and was asked to come downstairs to pick up the new room key as they were really busy at the moment. The 2nd room wasn't much better - the same smell as the previous apartment.

The kitchen was dirty and the bathrooms hadn't been cleaned properly - during my stay rubbish was left behind by housekeeping and the bed was half made. For the price of these rooms you would expect higher. I stayed here through my company and will be making a special request to have this location removed from our preferred suppliers as I wouldn't want another colleague to stay here. Unfortunately Parliament was sitting and there were no rooms available at any other hotels - I asked / begged numerous times.

This apartment does not live up to other Adina / Medina experiences I have had - it is well below the expected standard and more closely aligned to a Motel style room / service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Amanda I, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Matt,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay here at the Adina Apartment Hotel Canberra, James Court.
It was disappointing for me to read your comments regarding the state of the room cleanliness, maintenance and comfort, as well as the level of service provided by our team.
The comfort and service provided to all of our guests is highly important to us and I apologise on behalf of everyone at the hotel that on this occasion we feel well short of exceeding your expectations.
The issues encounter and experience you had at our hotel is unacceptable and I would like the opportunity to speak with you personally to discuss the details of the concerns raised. My contact details are as below as well as the Assistant Hotel Managers, Stuart Frost.
Matt, I can assure you that we take our reputation very seriously, and I look forward to speaking with you and hopefully to welcome you back to the hotel so that we may be able to have the opportunity to change your perspective on our service and facilities.
Warm regards,
+61 2 62401234

Stuart Frost
Assistant Hotel Manager
canberra@adinahotels.com.au
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have stayed at several Medina/Adina apartment hotels and have been extremely impressed each time - sadly this Adina does not meet up to the standards you would expect from this group. This was by far the dirtiest and run down apartment apartment I have ever stayed in. The bathrooms were disgusting with hairs on the floor, in the bath, in the sink and on the toilet. The tiles were broken and several were missing. The spa bath was dirty and the bath panel was broken and badloy patched up. Cushions on all the beds were badly stained (both sides) as were all of the net curtains (which were also grey and dusty and looked liked they had never been washed). The lamp in the lounge room was broken. The lamps in the master bedroom were bent and out of shape. The carpets throughout were filthy and there was a wet patch in the dining area where the fire sprinker was dripping. 2 glasses had lipstick marks on them. The fridge had had something sticky spilt in it and the spaces in the door for bottles were dirty.The oven tray had been used and not cleaned and was full of congealed fat. The aircon didnt work and only blew out hot air. The 24hr McDonalds downstairs kept us awake all night (literally) and although we were on the 7th floor you could clearly hear the local yobbo's (McDonalds Patrons)shouting/swearing/fighting. The road noise was also very bad (seemed to be lots of semi-trailers going through at night). This really was a horrible horrible experience.

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Amanda I, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Dawn,
Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable comments about your recent stay here at Adina Apartment Hotel, James Court.
It was displeasing to read that your stay with us was not the positive experience that we hope that all of our guests have. I understand the main concern was the cleanliness and maintenance of the apartment and I would like to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us, as it assists us to continually improve our service to exceed our guest’s expectations.
Dawn, if you would like to discuss any of the concerns raised in regards to your recent stay with us in further detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly on (02) 6240 1234.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Kind Regards,
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This worked well for three friends going to a conference. Two bathrooms, two bedrooms, tons of space.

Cushions on couches and comfortable chairs all had stains. Turned couch cushions over and there were stains on the other side. Noise of lifts annoyed us a bit. Had air conditioner but it didn't seem to get cool enough. Small room didn't get much air but it was a very hot day/night. Long line at checkout - should have had more people on at that busy time.

But overall it was good value, convenient location. We walked to a cafe for breakfast and a restaurant for dinner. Very easy to find. Everybody knew it - locals still call it Medina.

• Stayed February 2013
Amanda I, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Adina Apartment Hotel Canberra, James Court. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel.

Any feedback is of the highest value to us and I will ensure your feedback is passed onto the team.

We hope to welcome you back to Adina Apartment Hotel Canberra, James Court in the future.

Kind Regards
Hotel Manager

Been to Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court? Share your experiences!