“Fantastic apartment - bit far from attractions” 4 of 5 stars

Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   74 Northbourne Ave, Canberra 2601, Australia   |
Ranked #29 of 52 hotels in Canberra
Anglesey
“Fantastic apartment - bit far from attractions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. We chose the hotel because we were travelling to Canberra on the Murray's bus from Sydney and back again; the hotel was within easy walking distance of the bus depot.
We as a family of 3 were given an apartment with 2 double-bed bedrooms and 2 toilet/bathroom/shower rooms. The apartment also had laundry facilities, a good sized kitchen with all amenities (even a dishwasher), dining room, lounge, and a small outside balcony.
We did walk, but the hotel is rather far from attractions such as the War Memorial and the Parliament Triangle, there is a service bus 2 blocks down (which is also quite far), I would recommend that if you are not used to walking, especially in Australia's summer heat that you take a taxi.
There weren't many restaurants nearby, but we cooked in the apartment on both nights which was very pleasant. We used the outside swimming pool, which although quite small was perfectly adequate.
We had read that the hotel could be noisy, and we were overlooking the main street where McDonalds is situated, however it did not proof a problem for us.
Overall we had a very enjoyable stay in Canberra, a very interesting Capital City, and the hotel was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room away from the main street
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Amanda I, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Guest

The team at Adina Apartment Hotel Canberra, James Court are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

383 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have just returned from staying at this property and I had booked and paid before reading the reviews (a late night decision) and I was really concerned about staying after I had visited this site. Although a late request for a high floor away from Northbourne was unable to be accommodated, the thing that was most important to me, a clean room, was what I got. We were given room 219, second floor on Northbourne and although a little noisy, I didn't find it too bad, I have young children and am used to being woken up prior to 7am. The pool was clean and my daughter and I enjoyed an afternoon swim each day. Although the parking was a bit tricky later at night it was nothing different to what I have experienced at apartments on the Gold Coast, although I think the parking should not be an added extra considering the location and inability to park anywhere else, such as when you stay at apartments at other locations around the country.

Everything in the room was clean, as said, but the bathrooms and the bed are getting a little tired, I believe the apartment I stayed in had been recently (last 12-24 months) repainted, recarpeted, new air conditioners and living room furniture updated. All in all I was happy with my stay and would stay again, but would most likely request the same room number, considering the other reviews that have been negative.

The only appliances I used were the TV, Fridge and Hairdryer so can't comment on any others, I did check the microwave though and it was clean.

Service at the Reception Desk on the way in was good and the staff member was friendly, service on the way out could have been improved slightly, with a staff member commencing to serve me, then answering the phone, where someone else should have picked this up.

Finally, great location, easy to get in and out of and easy to get to anywhere in 10 minutes.

Kylie

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Medina Executive James Court. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and found our rooms to your liking.
Thank you also for your comments in regards to the service I will make sure this is passed onto our team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Executive James Court in the future.

Maitland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Great location close to shopping centre & local pubs. Rooms in need of a makeover. Apartments large enough for family of 4 with all that you need. Best to stay on Northbourne Ave side less noise away from Mcdonalds drive thru.

• Stayed October 2012
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review, we really appreciate it.

It was great to read you loved our location, we hope you will stay here again next time you are in Canberra.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Had stayed here years ago and should have just left it a memory. Rooms were dirty, parking cramped and dark. Breakfast pack overpriced and ordinary. Curtains hanging down off tracks, holes in screens, tv didn't work properly, room smelt, dusty, old shabby - cannot wait to leave here in the morning and very sorry we are here now. Do yourself a favour and just don't stay here you will be sorry!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at Medina Executive James Court.

I am sorry to read that your stay with us was not the positive experience that we hope our guests have.

I want to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Apartment style hotel with professional service and good location. Our 2 bedroom apartment was spacious and had all amenities you can wish for. The pool and BBQ area is great. Would have given it 5 if not for the street noice and poor iron!

Room Tip: Try to get an apartment higher up in the building. First and second floor can be noisy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Booked this hotel thru bookings.com. Pictures and description seemed typical of a four star accommodation. Hotel room - not the cleanest, bed was like sleeping on a concrete slab - the floor would have been more comfortable, no spare pillows, a lot of street noise, Room 104 above McDonalds drive thru, car parking difficult. Originally booked in for 3 nights, only stayed 1 night. Staff obliging when we did not want to stay any longer.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get room 104!! Ask for a room on higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for posting the comments regarding your recent stay at Medina Executive James Court.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. I have noted all your comments in regards to your stay at the hotel and wanted to assure you that this feedback will get passed onto the relevant department for review.

Any feedback is of the highest value to us, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss further.

Batemans Bay, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We always stay at the James Court Medina and always find it fantastic! The rooms are large with a large lounge and fully equipped kitchen - better than my one at home! The spa bath is always used when we visit and the pool is always sparkling clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review of Medina Executive James Court, we really appreciate the time you have taken to write it and your positive comments.
I will share your feedback with the team and hope we will see you again when you are next in Canberra.

Hotel Manager

Been to Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court? Share your experiences!