“Stay away from this place.” 2 of 5 stars

Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   74 Northbourne Ave, Canberra 2601, Australia   |
Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Berlin, Germany
“Stay away from this place.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I booked a 2 bedroom apartment here. One bedroom was ok, the other one was a dark cell with a tiny window, no air condition or ventilation and just enough room for 2 single beds. Everything in the apartment was old and tired, the carpet filthy and all the mosquito nets in the windows either loose, broken or both. When I used the laundry dryer, the fuse went off several times. In the morning when I went down to the pool for a swim there were cigarette butts and other garbage floating in the pool, pretty disgusting. Parking is the basement is anoying as guest parking is on the same level as resident parking and it takes you ages to find a free spot that you can use. Wouldn't stay here again, it's definitely not worth the money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for posting the comments regarding your recent stay at Medina Executive James Court.
I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback.
I have noted all your comments in regards to the hotel and wanted to assure you that this feedback will get passed onto the relevant department for review.
Any feedback is of the highest value to us, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss further.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I had been looking forward to staying at the Medina, deciding to give it a go even after reading previous reviews - who knows, I thought I would have a different experience. However, after spending a few nights in the Medina, I have the opinion of finding some place else.

The positive is the hotel is conveniently located and close to restaurant and shops. The one-bedroom quite large and spacious.

The not so positive was opening the ancient microwave to find stains and splotches of sauce left by previous guests. I wasn't game to using the rest of the kitchen after seeing the microwave although on the surface everything appeared clean. And while the room is spacious, it is indeed dated - as are the appliances. There are a lot of little notes everywhere to remind you of things, such as how laundry powder is $3.50 and that if you choose to fill the spa you won't have hot water for roughly 1-2 hours. My balcony was also a pigeon roost and there were droppings everywhere and all over the air conditioner.

I've stayed in slightly older hotels before and I find a dismal room can be forgiven where there is excellent customer service. Unfortunately I cannot say the customer service here was spectacular. The little notes are fine but detract from a welcoming room. Reception were slightly cold although the lady I had on check out day was very pleasant and helpful.

In all, it all came down to value and for the $180 per night price tag, I suggest you will find better value for money elsewhere. If you can fork out the extra dollars, Novotel is a far better option.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor not facing Northbourne Ave as it is quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Medina Executive James Court. We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments . I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, however am disappointed to hear that the remainder of your experience did not meet your expectations and would like to apologise.

Please contact me directly on 02 6240 1234 if you wish to discuss you stay in more detail, we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Jindabyne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have stayed here in the past and thought it to be great all round.
Not anymore....
I stayed 3 nights last week and 1 this week. I booked an inexpensive stay through wotif and do regret it.
The 2 bedroom apartments are filthy. Dishes were dirty,bathrooms grotty,walls and furniture marked and sticky,lounge and dining chairs have food stains. Lamp bulbs blown, dryer not working,condom found on the floor!!
Cigarette butts on the balcony,wardrobe doors don't slide properly, furniture missing (marks and indents in carpet) - it goes on..
I asked for a feedback form and was told to 'just use trip advisor' and given a 10% discount voucher for future bookings.
Overall I am embarrassed I suggested this motel to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Check the cleanliness straight up
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at Medina Executive James Court.

I am sorry to read that your stay with us was not the positive experience that we hope our guests have.

I want to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kind Regards,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

I guess if you are a regular to Canberra you will be used to paying heaps for a crap hotel. This is not much different. The rooms are big enough and pretty well appointed but, I dunno are not nice.

The hallways and cark park reek of the McDonald's next door, it is sickening.

They fail on little things, TV was not working, tissue box empty, bedside light globe blown, garbage disposal broken.

I don't know if you will get much better in this town, but I would rate this place as 3 star at best.

oh and they are knocking the building next door down with excavators fitted with jack hammers so from 7am to 5pm it is sounds like a war zone, funny they did not mention this when I booked.

See if you can do better

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Executive James Court.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments. I have addressed your concerns with our housekeeping and maintenance departments regarding the issues with your room.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I had the misfortune of staying at this hotel during a recent weekend trip to Canberra. I felt a little out place checking in without a slab of beer under my arm - which seemed to be de rigueur for many of the other hotel guests. The room was old and tired and the bathroom was less than spotlessly clean with hairs from a previous occupant clearly on display. I was very unimpressed to be hit with a surcharge for paying by credit card upon departure. One of my colleagues told me that he had been billed $1 just for making a call from his room to the front desk! I was ready to put this bad experience behind me until I received a letter from this hotel a few days later telling me that I had not paid for a minibar item and that my credit card had now been charged for this additional amount (along with another credit card surcharge). In fact, I had consumed nothing from the minibar during my stay and then had the inconvenience of having to phone the hotel to get them to remove this unauthorised charge. Whilst I appreciate that mistakes can be made, it was the presumptuous nature of this extra charge without a prior call or email to clarify which irritated me. With the exception of its location, there is nothing to recommend this hotel and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I would like to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The hotel is well located and the setup is quite nice. Large lobby, enormous rooms oversized kitchen, nice pool etc...

But if you start comparing your experience with other guests, it appears that the problems we had were recurrent. Our apartment wasn't cleaned when we moved in and we were requested to leave the place (after a day on the road) for the crew to clean the premises. Really!?

Also, the prices are not all inclusive and you really want to read the fine print. All is a supplement and when you realise what is the final price, well you may have consider alternative places.
While using the gym, I almost knocked myself out as one of the machine wasn't rigged properly. The overall place was noisy and full of teens who were probably looking fwd to a good night, as we saw them taking loads of booze into their rooms... (thanks god on a different level than ours)

Finally, the staff kept hiding behind the fact their manager wasn't on site, and the poor girl who looked like she's 16 didn't know how to fix anything. It got one of the guests really angry, as he was complaining about the same problems at the same time we were there too. (to complain about our dirty apartment).

Where is the manager when you need it? well it looked like he/she took the week-end off. So, really, it could be a nice place if it was run correctly, but it ends up being a disappointing experience.

Room Tip: make sure your review the room prior to move in with your stuff. you never know how clean it is...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you again for your feedback.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

I travel for business and have stayed at a number of Canberra hotels.

On arrival everything seemed nice, beautiful lobby, I stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment which on the surface seemed ok until I noticed the dusty surfaces and stained carpets. The windows had handprints on them from small children.
In the 2 weeks of my stay the floors were not vacuumed, the tables were not dusted or wiped and my bed sheets were not changed.
The bathrooms were not restocked each day (I had to ask for a shower cap), and whilst the beds were made I was always short sheeted so I had to pull the bedding apart to sleep.
The Tvs are altered so you can't connect them to a laptop and watch shows off your computer. There were not enough power outlets and the Internet provider is extremely expensive (it is the managements choice to go with an expensive provider so don't give me the "we don't set the prices" speech).
If I had my time again I would have stayed at the Warldorf, the Medina is really dirty and not properly maintained.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest

We do strive to maintain the upkeep and cleanliness of the hotel, however I will pass on your comments regarding the level of daily room servicing to our Executive Housekeeper.

Should you wish to discuss your stay in more detail please contact me directly at the hotel.

Hotel Manager

Been to Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court? Share your experiences!