“Treat yourself - stay at the Hyatt Hotel Canberra” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Hotel Canberra

You added Hyatt Hotel Canberra to your Saves list
Hyatt Hotel Canberra
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Commonwealth Avenue | Yarralumla, Canberra 2600, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney
“Treat yourself - stay at the Hyatt Hotel Canberra”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

What a fantastic hotel - I have always wanted to stay at this fabulous landmark hotel in Canberra and I was definitely not disappointed and would always chose to stay here in future when in Canberra. The staff are fantastic - room very large and so comfortable, all the meals were great and high tea was just a great way to spend a cold winter's afternoon. The hotel is close to so many of Canberra's attractions. I would recommend this hotel to any one. A really special place with great staff.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Indonesian first
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

The Canberra Park Hyatt is a historic hotel, close to Parliament House and the Commonwealth Ave Bridge. Set in landscaped gardens and with an old world feel, it is one of Canberra’s premier hotels (indeed one of its few five star hotels). It is most noted for the 1920’s style uniforms that all its porter staff wear.

I stayed in a Park King room (Rm 256) for two nights, on a prepaid rate of $236 per night.

Valet/Porter:

I opted not to use the valet or porter but I did notice that they were well staffed that weekend (from previous stays I know it can be hit and miss if you actually get one) and I got the door opened for me a couple of times. As mentioned, they wear a historic 1920’s uniform, so they are highly visible.

Check-In / Check-Out:

Check-In and Check-Out was ok. Nothing special – neither particularly friendly nor fast but passable all the same.

Hotel Public Spaces:

The lobby is very attractive, with heavy art deco stylings. You generally have a long walk from reception to your room so you’ll get to see a fair bit of it, including the morning and afternoon teas in the Tea Lounge which are somewhat of a Canberra institution.

The Room:

Room 256 was very good – some of the furnishings showed some wear but otherwise everything was quite comfortable and the bathroom was superb! The only thing that was annoying was that the placement of the TV was to the side of the bed – not very convenient – and neither was it aligned to the corner chairs (as it was, we didn’t end up even turning it on). The view from the room was quite nice and the bed was easy to fall asleep in – although no top sheet, just doona which did get a little hot during the night. All in all though, the big bathtub and great big rainfall shower where what I enjoyed most – the bathroom was almost as big as the room.

Service:

This is where the Canberra Park Hyatt can fall down – it’s pretty much a case of luck at this hotel (something which I have also noted from previous stays). Firstly, my room service coffee never turned up on my first morning, and I got a paper that wasn’t as per my profile. Secondly, a booking for high tea that I had made almost a month earlier using the Hyatt’s e-concierge system (which was confirmed) got lost, which only got fixed when I put pressure on the hotel duty manager about the issue. Given that the hotel had confirmed, in writing, my booking I don’t think it should have taken that much chasing but the staff in the Tea Lounge where fairly unconcerned and not very interested in resolving so I wasn’t left with much choice than to hold them to their word.

Evening Turndown service was also a bit hit and miss, one night we get complimentary bottles of water, the next not. No chocolates or even turning back the corner of the bed, but we did get our towels replenished on the second night. The morning service was more consistent, and of a acceptable standard.

Gym:

I didn’t end up going to the Clubhouse, but I know from earlier visits that it can get quite busy, especially since it is used by a large number of non-hotel patrons (they sell memberships and provide casual access to members of the public).

Room Service:

I order a couple of buckets of ice (which came fairly promptly) and have a room service dinner on the second night. The duck ($48.50 with a side bowl of fries) was good, but not exceptional, and the prices are fairly high so it was an average to good meal all up.

Summary:

Service-wise the Hyatt isn’t the best – basically riding on its limited competition in my opinion – but the even the base room are comfortable and the bathrooms are definitely a highlight. A great place to come for a big old soak! It’s not cheap but if you’re looking for something more than utilitarian then this really is your best choice in Canberra.

• Stayed February 2010
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt whilst visiting the Masterpieces from Paris exhibit at the nearby National Gallery. Overall, I found it to be a good quality hotel in a very nice art deco building with pleasant staff – however overall it didn’t match equivalent 5-star hotels of Australia’s other cities.

Pros
- Spacious guest room decorated in a contemporary style, and large bathroom with separate shower.
- The guest room was well appointed and finished to a good standard, as were the communal areas.
- Located a short distance from Canberra’s CBD.

Cons
- Uncomfortable bed: the mattress was clearly in need of replacement (noisy springs and a lean towards one side).
- No view: the Hyatt website indicates the Park King Room has “garden and park views”, however this was certainly not the case in my experience (see photos).
- Noise: the hotel has a number of function suites, and during my stay the lobby and other communal areas were rather noisy at times – due to a large number of guests attending wedding and birthday functions - and as such detracted from the ambiance.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

We were visiting friends in Canberra and had booked budget accommodation elsewhere - our friend was giving us the tour of Canberra.
She suggested we stop here for afternoon Tea.
We were a little shocked that you could just pop in without being a patron.
This building is old and i wouldnt have thought it to be the Hyatt.

From the moment we got to the front door this place ouzed charm and character.Personally im am not into this type of decor but i loved the feel and the look of this of this place.
We were going to have the afternnoon tea buffett at around $26 per head but due to there being a wedding we were unable to do this and that was fine.

We still had a choice of lovely cakes and coffee - This was $10 pp. I would not have paid $10 for a very small coffee and cake anywhere else but this was the Hyatt and we were there to enjoy the afternoon with a special friend and i must say the cake and coffee was very worth it in taste value.
We sat in the garden area where we ordered & our coffee and cakes were brought to us...The staff here were professional, wonderful, friendly and displaying a good sense of humour.
The garden was clean well kept and very relaxing...we sat there for quite some time enjoying the feel to this place.
I cannot comment on the hotel as an overnight stayer only a quick visitor but if you are out and about in Canberra and want somewhere nice to sit and relax with a good coffee and cake give this place a try

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

We have always wanted to stay at the Canberra Hyatt and finally had the opportunity to see the Masterpieces from Paris. We were happy that they could give us a twin room as we couldn't reserve it at booking time.
The room was big and comfortable, great bathroom, comfy bed and all the toiletries were good.
Just wish that the pool was a bit more fancy and that there was more information given to guests on arrival about what the Hotel offers guests.

• Stayed January 2010
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

I booked the Hyatt's "Masterpieces from Paris" package for our special trip to Canberra to see the exhibition at the National Gallery of Australia. We were very pleased with our choice.

We arrived at the hotel before 10am, and despite not having arranged early check-in, the hotel had a room already available for us. This was a lovely touch. The room itself was quite spacious with a comfortable king bed and two roomy armchairs. The bathroom was also spacious and well appointed, and quite fitting for a hotel of this callibre.

Breakfast was quite good, although not the best 5 star hotel breakfast that we have had. There was plenty of choice and the food was a good quality.

The service from all staff was friendly and helpful, and we were made to feel very welcome. The concierge staff especially were fantastic.

The hotel is very conventiently located for tourist purposes, being a short walk away from the major tourist attractions.

My only gripe was the cost of internet access. With so many hotels now offering free internet access, the Hyatt's charges for this were an annoyance.

All in all though, we had a very pleasant stay at a warm and friendly hotel that deserves its 5 star rating.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Byron Bay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

We were upgraded to this hotel from the Crowne Plaza for one night as they had overbooked. We arrived quite late at night around 10pm with 2 children and were checked in quickly and efficently and were quickly whisked to our room 261.
We were given a Park King room with a rollaway bed. The room was large with a huge marble bathroom, with seperate bath.
The King bed is one of the most comfortable beds i've ever slept on, the Rollaway quite average but you cant expect much with rollaway beds.
Service was very professional.
The hotel seemed quite busy and quite full.
I cannot comment on the value as we were upgraded but the room was around $260 AUD Per Night.
We used the Internet which cost $10 for 30mins from memory.
Breakfast was also given to us in the upgrade which was plentiful with everything you would expect from a 5* Hotel breakfast.
I would gladly stay here again!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Hotel Canberra? Share your experiences!