“Overcharged $1000” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Hotel Canberra

You added Hyatt Hotel Canberra to your Saves list
Hyatt Hotel Canberra
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Commonwealth Avenue | Yarralumla, Canberra 2600, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Awaken at the Park
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Canberra
“Overcharged $1000”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Hyatt for our wedding and what a way to ruin an otherwise perfect day. The Hyatt is a beautiful place with hard to deal with people. We stayed in one of their diplomatic suits which costs over $1,000 but it was for our wedding. When a chair broke under the 50kg bride and staff ignored us when we told them what happened we new we were in for a real treat. Front counter staff need to learn how to smile and actually assist. Food was AMAZING but even that could not overcome the fact that they decided to take over $1000 from our account without authority. This then took 6 days to be returned to us. When chasing this up we never got a response. We wish we had never stayed there. We had arranged some food for the bridal party in between events. This was a very small simple thing to arrange except the Hyatt was not capable of doing this. I would hate to see how they went at arranging any larger event.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
HyattCanberra, Manager at Hyatt Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Wendy, Thank you for your feedback. We are deeply sorry that you had such an experience, particularly on your wedding day. It is disappointing to hear that you did not feel you received the five star service in which we expect from all our teams and your feedback will be discussed with our Management Team. Thank you again for bringing to our attention about the overcharge and also for your patience whilst the situation was rectified. If there are any other concerns, please call us on 02 6269 8500 so we can ensure your next stay is more pleasurable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I decided to treat myself to a weekend at the Hyatt for a visit to Canberra - it was also within walking distance of the attractions I was visiting. I had a 'Park Deluxe' room - it was gorgeous!!! Check in and out was friendly and efficient, my room was quiet, comfortable spacious and very clean. It had everything I needed - free wi-fi was good too. Staff in the dining and bar areas were friendly and efficient. As a fan of 'art-deco' I appreciated the surroundings of the hotel, including the modern extension, which is totally within keeping of the original part.
One minor downer is the noisy air-con, but the cooler weather meant I didn't really need it on all that much.
This is a 5 star hotel, with prices to match, but it was well worth it.

Room Tip: The road out the front can be noisy at times, so try for a park side room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is just a quick comment resulting from a recent stay. I have reviewed the hotel before and it was as excellent as it was previously. Something I noticed for the first time, perhaps because it was in summer, was that the bed in my room had a thick doona but no top sheet. This meant that I had to run the air conditioning at 20 degrees to make the room cold enough to sleep comfortably. I would not have required the air conditioning at all had I been able to sleep under a sheet. I can understand why doonas are used in a big hotel as it is easy to make beds with them but the failure to provide top sheets is silly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, wonderful staff and beautifully maintained. Rooms are furnished in muted and restful colours with comfortable chairs and very functional desk. Rooms have lovely views over well maintained gardens and there is ample parking (both free and valet). Bathrooms are well designed and water pressure in the shower is excellent. High tea, served in lobby restaurant is a masterpiece. The only problem is the smell coming from the buffet through which one has to walk to get to the rooms.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed in this hotel during my official trip in October 2013.Its beautiful hotel with great location. The parliament, the museums, the lake and the location of annual tulip festival Floriade was all in the vicinity. The moment I checked in I was greeted by very cordial and friendly staff. The room was very spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was huge and was full with luxurious stuff. The morning buffet breakfast was full of variety and very delicious.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

If a hotel is judged on how well you sleep then the Hyatt Canberra failed miserably.

I was assigned a room in which the air conditioning vents were positioned directly over the bed. Needless to say that made it feel like you were sleeping in a refrigerator! A shocking nights sleep was the obvious result.

That aside, it's the little things that make the difference between a good hotel and a great one. Sadly, numerous little things were lacking here too. Like arriving to a dark (and ironically), stuffy un-air conditioned room at 9:00pm despite our booking notes indicating a late arrival time. Two of the lights in the room didn't work either, making reading difficult. And I was presented with a bill for breakfast despite the matradee confirming breakfast was included in my rate when I was shown to a table.... It's these sorts of little things that do matter.

The Hyatt Canberra should have been excellent, but unfortunately my stay was nothing more than average.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Canberra was born out of the rivalry between NSW and Victoria to host Australia's capital. Both lost out and Canberra became the Aussie capital.
The only place to stay in Canberra is the Hyatt Hotel Canberra, restored from the heritage Old Canberra Hotel and an icon of the city.
It is luxury in an understated manner, from the bellboys in plus fours to the quiet and unassuming way that service is delivered.
The rooms are large and the beds luxurious with your choice of pillows (and as a regular guest, my favourite styles are always in my room).
The showers and baths are spacious and many rooms have the waterful shower heads which are a rare luxury in the rain-starved outback.
The Lobby Bar and outdoor courtyards hum through the summer months with cocktail functions - I struck a Moet themed Friday night in early February, fabulous on a warm balmy evening.
During the day, the Lobby has is famous high teas which are often booked out.
The Speakers Corner Bar has form and always produces well shaken cocktails.
The Hotel spa, gym and pool complex are always clean and well serviced.
The Hotel is within walking distance to the city's Parliamentary Zone and many building, including the National Gallery and the Portrait Gallery.
My home away from home!

Room Tip: Most rooms are quiet and well positioned, Club King Rooms are a very good pick.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Hotel Canberra? Share your experiences!