“Waste of Money” 2 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #20 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
“Waste of Money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

My friend and I just spent two nights at the Crown Plaza in Canberra to attend Floriade .It had 2 things going for it the location and the comfortable beds Thats all !!
We paid $251 per night for a room with 2 double beds We were told when we paid for our phone booking weeks before that parking was included IT wasn't and we were charged an extra $15 per night for parking and after talking to other guests we found out they were also charged extra for so called included parking. I wonder if they do this to all their guests !!!.
So for the then cost of $266 a night we got satff who showed no interest at all when booking in or checking out .Don't expect a smile , a kind word or any manners from the reception staff .
The room was OK but pretty average with the worst Iron and ironing board I have ever used .It had the two double beds we requested a desk ,a desk chair and one other chair and that was it .The hall ways always seemed to have room service cleaning trolleys and room service dishes awaiting collection as you made your way to the room .Some we noticed remained outside some rooms all day and in the case of one lot over night too.
We went down to try the pool and asked the pool staff for the pool towels which the guest directory says are availabe at the pool to be told you have to bring your own from your room .I went all the way back up to the 5th floor to get our bathtowels .On the way I asked the housekeeping lady with her trolley if I could get 2 dry towels to put in our room to use for a shower as ours would be wet from the pool and she said no I would have to go to the laundry if I wanted towels. Anyway we finally found the rundown dirty pool - full of leaves The spa was not working the top row of tiles was missing and as it was an outdoor pool the water was freezing cold .The artificial grass around the pool has also seem better days and is frayed around the edges so we gave up in disgust.
The second day we stayed we went to Floriade and returned to our room at 2.30pm to find it had still not been cleaned and the beds etc not made so we went out and returned at 5pm to find it was done. We were surprised to find the two teaspoons from the tea making tray laying in the bathroom sink which makes me feel that they simply rinse the cups etc under tap and replace them on tray without washing them properly. Also no biscuits are supplied to have with the tea and coffee .
To top it off we were woken every morning at 6.15am by a maintainence man with his leaf blower cleaning the City Walk area in front of hotel .He finished each day at 7.30 am so no chance of a sleepin on holidays here.
I will say the buffet breakfast was great and the staff in this section were lovely and we enjoyed the food especially the freshly made omlettes .
I would not recommend this hotel as even with its great location ,and comfortable beds it is not worth the money we could have spent our money better elsewhere

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for two nights whilst on business travel. The rooms are comfortable, with king size beds and adequately sized desks for work. Whilst not the best hotel I've ever stayed at, the Crowne Plaza was probably the best of the lot in Canberra (a colleague at another hotel complained of the outdated facilities). Staff were helpful, and housekeeping brought another desk lamp when I noted that the overhead lighting above the desk was fused. Room service menu looked pricey - would suggest a walk up the mall to the various restaurants.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

I admit that we found a room at late notice, as Canberra was booked up for the Floriade Flower Festival (which was worth the visit!) Strangely the Crowne Plaza was the only place in town that had vacancies, but the location was ideal as we could walk to the Flower Festival. I wonder if the noise at night is the reason for this. Loud music and shouting from clubbers went on until 4am. This was a Saturday night so it might not be like this every day of the week. When we mentioned this at the reception in the morning they did admit that we were not the first to complain and he did apologise. Sadly it had spoilt the occasion for us and we would not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

At first glance, the Crowne seemed to be modern and spacious, but on closer inspection, the air con is old and the bathroom hasn't been renovated. It still has shower curtains and even comes with those anti-slip mats - I wondered if these have been properly sterilised between use. My room had a humming fan that cannot be turned off and I had to change rooms at midnight because it was faulty. It's overpriced and not a great stay.

Darwin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Close to the CBD, perfect business base if in Canberra for business. Excellent gym facilities, spacious rooms with a good size desk to do business from. The bed was very comfortable and the room was well appointed. Great staff and good service. I enjoyed a great stay at this hotel.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Crowne Plaza Canberra offers the best location in Canberra. It is close to a great shopping centre and easy walking distance to the War Memorial, the lake and other attractions.
Staff were very attentive from the moment of arrival, great local knowledge and very friendly. The rooms are modern, loved the view across the park. It gives the feel of not being in the middle of the city. Had a great sleep - very comfy bed.
We were late arriving so we had room service for dinner - lots of options and the steak and dessert brownie were divine! The bar has a great laid back feel but is not boring. The buffet breakfast was great, lots of variety, loved the fresh made to order omelettes and the coffee was just what we needed.
We will be back in October for Floriade!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

I come to Canberra once a month from Melbourne. I usually stay at the Hyatt however was not available this trip. I chose the Crowne Plaza and have been very happy with my choice. Easy to get to by taxi, close to some restaurants and coffee shops.

Room is extremely comfortable, nice decor and good size. Desk to do work at was functional. Bed was extremely comfortable and I had two great nights sleep.

I ordered room service both nights. Both nights I didn't get exactly what I had ordered and the second night was pretty average in quality of steak and time it took to come (over an hour). I mentioned this on check out and the receptionist deducted 50% off.

Overall, very happy and although the Hyatt is a "fancier" experience, i think I will come back to the Crowne Plaza while on business.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra? Share your experiences!