“The best service & staff we have come across.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #18 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Sydney, Australia
“The best service & staff we have come across.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

I own a company called Wild Ride Australia I booked 44 friends into Crowne Plaza Canberra for ANZAC weekend I informed them at the time of booking we will all be arriving on Harley Davidsons from the time we arrived we were treated like guests instead of what we looked like & not steriotyped as we arrived on bikes.
The staff their were so helpfull we arived and were informed that they have a section of the under ground car park just for the bikes with signs stating Wild Ride parking only, the reception staff were verry helpfull in giving us information about the Dawn service & even put us in the direction of a free shuttle bus, these guys went beyond help one of our riders is a Vietnam Vet he unfortunately forgot part of his suit and thought he would not march when the staff found out they gave him a suit to borrow so he could march.
The breakfast supplied wsa second to none what ever you wanted it was their on offer.

• Stayed April 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Mount Gambier, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

Its not that there was anything bad about this hotel its just there isnt anything great about this hotel given what you pay a night.
Good
Had a room overlooking a park, which was very nice. Rooms are quiet and dark, makes for a good night sleep, reasonable size. The bathrooms whilst cleaned are looking very tired and and had a dirty feel about them.
Location was good. As I was travelling on my own so it was nice to be close to shops, restaurants, supermarkets to grab bits and pieces.
My work was based near Capital Hill and I walked there every morning which was a wonderful start to my day, as Canberra is simply stunning in Autumn, 45 minute walk.
The average bits
Service was very ordinary. Ordered a paper for the week I was there, only received it once. While the Concierge boys appeared to be pleasant I was greeted on my return each evening in the taxi with 'got any bags?', I also didnt get much advice when asking for recommendations for eating and visiting, distances etc
The food was perhaps the most dissapointing, I ate in the restaurant only once and never returned for the rest of the week, the same can be said for the breakfast of which I ordered in my room. I went out for the remainder of my time or brought back take away.
Just a point if you do bring food back to your room there is absolutely no cutlery, bowls, plates etc for you to cater for yourself. I understand they arent an apartment, however a couple of plates and cutlery along with a toaster would have been great!
To be fair, I do travel alot both for pleasure and business, however as a single female traveller I have felt more welcome and comfortable at other hotels.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Canberra over Easter. We had a great holiday. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the room was clean and in good repair - the hotel was a nice place to be. The location is really handy, just a short walk to the shopping centre of Canberra and lots of nice restaurants, and also a comfortable walk to the lake and other points of interest such as Questacon.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

Firstly service was excellent. Now to the room we were placed on the second floor in a room that overlooked a horrible dirty balcony (that you couldnt go out on) it was so bad I had to pull down the blinds . Room is very tired looking but it did have a flat screen. Bathroom also needs a revamp. Location is fantastic. Food at the Seafood Buffet wasgreat and breakfast buffet was also fantastic. I liked the fact that it was quiet.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

I stayed here for work recently, check in usually wasnt until the afternoon but I was able to check in straight away which is great cos I had to get the red eye. I was meeting a friend so was happy to have refresh and head off again so they get good points from me :) everything else was good and I loved the body and soul room service menu, something pretty healthy whilst travelling, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

This is our second stay in one month at Crown Plaza Canberra.

During our first stay late February 2010, we booked a Deluxe King room for one night to visit the National Gallery. We also paid for undercover car-parking and breakfast for two.

The hotel's car-park was full - so we had to park our car in an open area outdoors on top of gravel!

The rooms are VERY tired and worn. Also very small in size. When we arrived, there was a HAIR ON THE TOILET SEAT!!! DISGUSTING!!! The bathroom was in the state of, and smelt like a public toilet. It was so bad that we could not bring ourselves to take a shower in the very small shower-over-bath, which had yellow stains all over.

The bed was very uncomfortable - lumpy!

There were only 3 channels working on the TV - they don't even have digital TV channels like 7Two or Go!!!

At breakfast, we had to queue for over 15 minutes to be seated, even though the restaurant was empty - as they only had one person at the counter ushering people. When we sat down, the table was still dirty and wet, when we asked for the table to be cleaned and dried before our napkins and cutlery were put down, the waiter argued to say that it's only water. My knife had a crusty bit stuck to it, but when I asked for it to be replaced, the waiter said it was a chip in the metal!

The room was over a very noisy area - something that is out of the control of the staff. However if you want a quiet night, then this is NOT the place to stay. People were drinking and yelling out side our room all night.

When we checked out the hotel, we made a complaint to the Manager on duty, who admitted that the hotel receives many complaints about the state of its bathrooms, and apologised and promised to get back to us on a partial refund.

One month later - we're still waiting to hear back from her. It is not the refund that we care about, but rather the fact that they promised something but failed to deliver.

We checked into this hotel again today one month after our last stay (because the only other better hotel in Canberra, Park Hyatt, is fully booked out). At check in, we asked the receptionist to double check that there wasn't a hair on the bathroom seat again. She said - of course there isn't. And did not check. I re-iterated to her - I just wanted to make sure, so that I don't have to go up to my room only to come back down again. She again said no, it's all good.

And guess what was there when we went up to our room - A HAIR ON THE TOILET SEAT!!!!

Her excuse was that house-keeping is not here right now. And why is that the guest's problem?? Should we now have to clean our own bathrooms?

Yes, to their credit, when we went back down to reception, they gave us an upgrade to a suite. However, it gives us no confidence in the overall hygiene of the place - this time the staff actually checked the room before we were sent up, which took them almost 30 minutes - I have no doubt that they had to re-clean the bathroom in this room as well!

For a hotel that holds itself out to be 4.5*, it is absolutely DISGUSTING!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

My friend and I stayed at the Crown Plaza Canberra ACT for 2 nights due to the fact that we were visiting Canberra for the 'Post-Impressionists' Art Show. I would highly recommend this hotel. The room was modern and spotlessly clean, the open plan of the foyer and dining area was very pleasing. We stayed on the first floor level which meant that we didn't have to catch the lift just walk up a not too steep ramp to our room. The package we had included breakfast which was excellent, so many selections and a chef at the ready to eggs and omelettes just the way you order. Staff were friendly and helpful and not having a car we travelled around by cab without any problems...I would highly recommend the Crown Plaza, it would have to be one of if not the best hotels for service and value for money that I have ever stayed at and I will be going back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra? Share your experiences!