“Good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 52 hotels in Canberra
Geelong Suburb
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights whilst attending a conference. Great central location. Had booked a deluxe room but were upgraded to a premium room as Priority members. Room was spacious and looked like most of it had been refurbished in recent times. Wardrobe was old hotel style with very little hanging space for longer garments. Opening windows which were great as I prefer fresh air to air conditioning. Room overlooked the park so it was fairly quiet. The lighting in the room is very average. Bedside lights are so low that they are useless if trying to read in bed and could do with better lighting over the mirror. The bathroom was dreadful. Poor lighting, very small and cramped, pedestal basin had a large crack in it and was extremely low. Shower over smallish bath with flimsy shower curtain and lots of mould on the tiles. Only good thing in the bathroom was the heated mirror to sto it fogging up as there is no fan in there. All staff we met were extremely friendly and helpful. Restaurant staff were all really great. If it hadn't been for the bathrooms I would hav given it 5 stars

Room Tip: Park view rooms are quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Matthew A, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear spotcate,

Thankyou for your review. I am thrilled that the location, recogbnition for our loyalty program and the service you received outweighed some disappointing lapses in attention to detail.
Our bathrooms are not new however the cleanliness is not a negotiable and I am very disappointed that you encountered such poor attention to detail here and am sure the team will share my view. This is not our usual standard and I do hope that the positive's you so kindly mention and the overall outcome of your time in Canberra will allow you to book with us again so we can redeem the poor elements of this recent stay.

Thank you again.

669 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Robina, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have stayed at Crowne Plaza many times and always find it a comfortable, quite place. The hotel is getting on now but I think they must be updating as I my last stay was in a renovated room. Very comfortable bed and a great sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Matthew A, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear SuenBob,

Thank you for choosing us and for your review. I am thrilled that your experience has enabled you to continue to choose us and do hope our ongoing improvement efforts will continue to earn your choice for trips to the Nations Capital.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here with two small kids for a couple of nights during an off-peak period. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable - and, unlike your typical hotel room, very well lit. Being off-peak, the hotel was by no means full, which probably contributed to the quiet stay.

The restaurant (RedSalt) served great breakfast and a nice dinner, too, all the while welcoming and accommodating children surprisingly well.

Parking is a little bit excessively prices, but is convenient with a direct lift access to the garage.

All in all, positively surprised, particularly how suitable it was for a family stay as well.

Room Tip: Park view rooms offer a nice relaxing view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear mesophyte,

Thank you so much for choosing us for your stay in Canberra and for sharing you review publicly. I'm thrilled that the facilities and service suited your families needs and we were able to create a successful time away from home.

We look forward to the chance to welcome you back.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I wrote a negative review a couple of months ago and also contacted the manger.

They compensated me for the awful stay last time and in giving them the benefit of the doubt I booked again, this time I upgraded to a more expensive room.

There is something amiss with this place, the quality just is not there for what you pay.

The walls are made of tissue paper I think and from 530am you can hear all of the doors banging which just reverberates through the building and does not stop until mid morning.

The service in the restaurant tries but fails, you get sat down and getting a drink is an effort, both myself and the table next to me had to ask for a wine list, bug as I had stayed there before I made the girl wait
until I had ordered.

The food was very nice, but one of my oysters has slid out of the shell and was sort of lying on the edge of the plate when it was put down in front of me. Am I being picky, yes; they charge 5 star prices, so the service should match.

I stayed at the Novotel recently, and whilst it looks older it is cheaper and better value.

Also the Waldorf, warts and all for $120 a night is worth considering.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Simonhendra,

Thankyou for your time on the phone ater your last stay and for giving us a chance to redeem your impression. I am sorry that we were not able to create the great service impact and sense of value for you that we have been able to create for so many others. It is indeed a challenge and one we are very aware of.
I genuinely appreciate you trialling us again and wish you safe travels for your return trips to the Nations Capital. I hope at some point we will be able to redeem your impression.

Boulder
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

i thought the hotel was a little tired. BUT, the staff were amazing.

case in point.
the concierge impressed me on 2 separate occasions.
1. i was coming down for a morning meeting having eaten a banana for breakfast in the lift on the way down. the concierge saw me glance once for a bin, came over and took the banana skin and got rid of it for me.

2. i went for a run around the lake. as i came back he opened the door for me and handed me a sports drink. seamless.

just wonderful service - highly recommended.

Room Tip: the 5 km run around the bridge to bridge loop at the lake is well worth while.
Dear drmarkh,

Thankyou so much for this great review.
It is extremely rewarding to see our wonderful team recognised and I am thrilled that they were able to create such a posotive impact on your stay.
This is our absoilute goal and the team will feel fantastic reading your kind recognition.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

After having had a superior experience in the Crowne Plaza Changi Airport in Singapore, we checked in with great expectations in the Canberra Crowne Plaza. The room we got was older and run down, and a clear mark of an iron on the carpet was an unwelcome sight. Staff did not tell us that the mark would be there, so I went down to reception to tell them it was there, so as not to be accused of ruining the carpet when checking out, and they looked at me as if iron marks on the carpet was a standard way of decorating the rooms at the hotel, and were just humoring me to put a comment in the system. On the second night the nearby casino or the cafe below our windows had a disco night and the noise went on until about 3:00am. We complained to the reception desk, which was very apologetic and offered us another room to sleep in during the night. We did not feel like transfering in our pyjama's and declined and with the aid of ear plugs managed to sleep, at least to some extend.
The next morning we demanded another room and got one on a quiet side of the hotel. This room was clearly better maintained and a joy to stay in and sleep. However, the experience of the first two nights is not acceptable for a superior chain like Crowne Plaza.
Some aspects of the rooms also looked "cheap": sagging drawers that could hardly be used; faucets in the bathroom that look old-fashioned as hot and cold water need to be mixed through different handles.
A last point is that the rooms are set up for business, with desks rather than chairs. This is not well advertised; it is not clear that this is what you should expect. Some truth in advertising would be good. Although in Canberra for business, we would actually have preferred to relax and not be reminded of business in the room...
Others have mentioned that the hotel has a great location - this is certainly true, but there are probably more and next time we will probably choose one of the competitors.

Dear Wintberg53,

Thankyou for your detailed review.
I am disspaointed that the room layout was not to your liking as we receive a great deal of positive comment about the very aspects you found unusual. Obviously we cannot be everything to everyone but I do regret that these elements contributed to your irritation.
Most importantly I offer my sincere apologies for the noise issues and poor attention in room maintenance you experienced. I share your poor view of these factors and have followed these through with the team to ensure our goal level of attention and quality is refreshed. While we cannot always control the noise from our neighbours we maintain a very pro-active relationship with them and have found that our effective communication and prompt action generally enables us to avoid issues like this occurring. I am sorry that our impact on this occasion was not fast or thorough enough to improve the situation.

Thank you again for your feedback, I will sent a private note in the hopes that we may have the chance to welcome you back and redeem the impresion this stay has left.

Fremantle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Was over in Canberra at a conference, so picked the Crowne as it was the closest to the Conference/Exhibition centre (less than 5min walk). The hotel is comfortable, the decor a little dated but clean & well maintained. It is a good hotel for people over on business. The rooms (or at least my one was) are larger than I expected with a great desk area to set up my laptop. It is relatively central with the Canberra Centre shopping mall only a 5min walk.
The buffet breakfast was nice but not spectacular, as I was on a concessional rate, the price was about what I would have expected.
What I was impressed with was the high level of service provided by the concierge, when I was struggling to find a venue to watch the AFL live, they went out of the way to ring around and locate somewhere for me. They gave good suggestions on what to visit, what the best times to visit and the quickest way to get there, really helpful.
I could have done with a complimentary paper in the morning, particularly as the breakfast area ran out early.

Room Tip: If you want a view and want to pay extra then you may want to consider a park view room
Dear Dongo_dude,

Thankyou for your review. I was very pleased to read your fevourable comments on the presentation and maintenacne of the property as well as our great location.
Especially pleasing was your wonderful comments on the concierge team. We try very hard to create the best experienc for all our guests and I know the team will share my pleasure when they read your public comments.
Thankyou and we look fowrward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Canberra.

Matt Anderson

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra? Share your experiences!