“yet to go” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Canberra
Perth, Australia
“yet to go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I head to the Crowne Plaza this weekend after booking my first mystery hotel via another website on behalf of my friend who I am catching up and staying with. It will be my first visit to Canberra so I am looking forward to the trip. I have read all of the reviews on here and can see from the pictures in regard to what to expect. I have been impressed with the replies from management and can see that they always have the customers best interests at heart and always aim to please. I look forward to my holiday. And although I too love frameless glass showers and updated bathrooms, I understand that everything takes time and fashions are constantly changing. As long as I have a clean room, great service and good food, I can't imagine I will have any complaints. I look forward to my stay at the hotel. :)

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I recently stayed here while I was attending a conference in Canberra. I must say I did not expect to enjoy the experience as much as I did. The hotel is probably the closest to the convention centre - which is useful in the freezing cold of Canberra. The staff at the hotel are exceptional. From the smiling concierge -standing outside in the freezing air to welcome you - to the check in staff.....they made me feel like nothing was too much trouble. I was originally given a room on the 2nd floor overlooking an ugly roof, but after requesting a room change because I was concerned about the street noise - I was given a room on the 4th floor. MUCH better. The outlook was over some roof tops - but bearable. Nice & quiet, which was really important to me. The food at the in house restaurant, Red Salt, was good. The staff, again, were very accommodating & added to the enjoyment. Only issue was that it was very busy & there was a bit of a wait. All in all I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night over a weekend to attend an event at the adjacent Convention Centre, about a week ago. After reading some less than appealing reviews, I came with some apprehension. I must say that, having less expectations may have boosted my experience of the place.

I checked-in with Nicola at front-desk. I felt she could have been a bit friendlier from the outset, although she did become friendlier overtime. As a Platinum member, I was acknowledged, and although arrived at 11am, Nicola was very obliging to assist with an early check-in. I was given a room by 11.30am.

The layout of the hotel was certainly consistent with a good business class hotel, rather than luxurious hotel. Having said that, I agree with most reviews here that the hotel is perhaps due for a bit of an overhaul, seemingly a little worn out in many aspects. The room was clean, comfortable beds and good shower pressure.

Breakfast was surprisingly better than I expected, better than your average hotel buffet but not quite alongside the 5-star hotels. Location is central, within a short stroll to CityWalk. I got there easy enough with the Airport Shuttle dropping us about 10-15 minutes walk away from the hotel. We took a taxi to the airport on return and cost us less than $25. If you are single, you could save some dollars with the shuttle, if you are more than one, then just catch the cab.

There is an outdoor pool with an adjacent spa, which was unaccessible, and perhaps understandably considering the cold weather, and presumably unheated. There is a well equipped but average gym and an in-house day-spa. I did not try either or, but the gym seems to be independently managed from the hotel, as well as the day spa.

I felt well looked after as a Platinum PC member, with early check-in and late check-out. Concierge staff was helpful. Overall stay was comfortable and no fuss. For the rate that I paid at under $150 per night on an Advanced Purchase Rate, I was very happy with my stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
MattA0808, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Choong_N,

Thanks for your detailed review.
There are some great things we will take from your feedback, not least of which is our messaging around the pool. The restaurant team were thrilled to read your great comments on the breakfast buffet as they have recently completed a refresh of the presentation and food offering and it was very rewarding to read your positve comments in regard to recognition as a Priority Club elite member.

I'm thrilled that we were able to deliver above your expectations and we look forward to improving your opinion further as we continue to work to create the very best guest experience.

Gladstone
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

The Crown is situated in 400 meters to Canberra Centre shopping centre, next to the casino and close to the convention centre. The hotel staff are excellent and attentive. The room is large enough and comfortable. Would stay here again.
Can't comment on the food however as there is so much food close by I didn't bother paying expensive hotel prices.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear aderfinn,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. Sorry we weren't able to tempt you to dine with us. We have a new dinner menu that is getting some great comment. We'll take on your feedback about pricing of course and are thrilled that you found the team attentive and had enough space for a successful stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back and thanks again.

Brisbane, Queensland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

The Crowne Plaza Hotel does not really live up to the name of "Crowne Plaza". This hotel is in a good location but starting to look a bit tired and in need of a make over. Rooms are comfortable and clean. Room service menu is a little tired too and it is worth the 15 minute to the city centre for a better choice of food. If you can get a good rate, this hotel is still a reasonable choice for Canberra.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
MattA0808, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Kel_au,

Thanks for your review, we appreciate the feedback.

It's great to read that the cleanliness was up to standard and that you appreciated our great location. In regard to updating some of our product we have a program in place to address our lift interiors, foyer and other public areas, all of which we expect to be complete this year.
We were thrilled to have completed a refit of one floor of the hotel this year and have plans in place to acheive more improvements in the physical product over the coming year. In the meantime, immaculate presentation and the highest level of attentive service is our goal as we firmly believe this can be the key to a truly wonderful guest experience.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future stay.

Sydney Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a 4 star hotel and reasonable value if you can get a cut price deal.
Good points are location (if you want to be close to shops), keen and enthusiastic staff who each did a good job, adequate dining room/dinner, decent breakfast and a good bed. The bathroom worked, but it was dated.
Unfortunately, there are some bad points which are more irritants or nuisances than deal breakers.
These include a non adjustable wide screen tv that stretches a 4:3 picture to fit which resulted in short wide people winning athletics races during the Olympics (this was really really irritating - why do hotels persist with this rubbish?), a lift service which struggles at the best of times, car parking which is tight and probably non existent if you arrive after 5pm on a busy night and wi fi which only works if you sit in the foyer downstairs. The bar is too expensive, even during happy hour. At least the beer was up to standard (but pints or half pints only).
The annoying thing is that some of these problems could be fixed without too much trouble, but probably won't.
It is a pity that top management cannot keep up the standard set by those at the coal face.

Room Tip: Stay on the lowest floor to mitigate the poor lift service.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
MattA0808, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear ExLawyer,

Thanks for your review. We genuinely appreciate getting the feedback.
I am thrilled that you felt the service you received was at a high level as this is definitely our main focus point to support our excellent location. Thank you.

I also appreciate your comments on the "nuisance" issues you encountered and can provide some update.
Our TV system is currently being reviewed to ascertain the best way to improve the picture quality and channel selection. I expect this will still take some time to resolve properly but we are on to it.
Our lift upgrade program which has dramatically improved the travel time and ride, has now been completed so after 6 months of operating on 2 lifts which were stretched at times, we are now back to three lifts.
You are right about the carpark, as the convenience of secure onsite parking is of premium value we have tried to maximise the nuumber of cars we can acommodate. When the self park access is full however, which happens only on our busiest nights and even then not regularly, we offer complimentary valet parking so that our guests are not inconvenienced and can rest assured that their vehicles are safe. We are upgraing our signage currently to communicate this better.
Thanks also for the feedback on bar prices. We set our prices after a full review of local offerings and will certainly add your feedback to our data for when we next review the menu and prices.
I do hope this response offers you some comfort about our genuine intentions as we are engaged as a team to improve in all areas of our operation. Of course some of the capital improvements do take longer to resolve and we can't necessarily do everything we would like to acheive at once.
Thank you for choosing us, I am thrilled you felt you got value from your stay and hope that you will see the results of our ongoing efforts on future visits.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

What an abysmal experience it was staying in this tired old relic where one’s first warning of things to come was that tell-tale feeling of sticky carpets in the public areas. I arrived late due to flight delays and was famished. Be warned for those of you dare check in after 10.00PM. The chef’s gone home and notwithstanding claims of 24 hour in-room dining, your options are a toasted cheese sandwich or Spaghetti Bolognese. Healthy options? Forget it. So I retired on an empty stomach in a room that seemed lifted from a scene in “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.” Cramped and poorly fitted out, fixtures and fittings from a by-gone era, I was awoken before 6.00AM by the loud noise of construction across the road. To cap it off, having dashed to the breakfast buffet for some dismal eggs and even more dismal coffee, I was questioned three times by different wait staff as to whether I’d “filled out a form” in order that I might partake of this over-priced fare. Guess what? I won’t be back. And neither will my business travelling companions who were similarly underwhelmed. Had we had some time to spare, we all agreed we would have asked for our money back.

Room Tip: Avoid this dismal attempt at hospitality.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
MattA0808, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Eric B,

Thank you for the feedback. Of most concern to me as a part of the leadership team is the impression we have left you with in regard to care and genuine effort to create a great guest experience. This is most definitely our goal and we are engaged to deliver our guests expectations and improve in all areas continuously.
Obviously your night in Canberra started poorly with a delayed flight and it is clear that we weren’t able to improve the situation during your time with us which is a real shame. Many of our reviewers have described us as “a Gem”, “Best Value”, “Great room excellent breakfast” and “friendly efficient staff”.
We maintain a rigorous program of scheduled contract cleaning in addition to our internal daily processes and will do a thorough check of our foyer areas to try and identify the sticky carpet you refer to and bring forward our scheduled steam clean. We also have a foyer refurbishment scheduled for completion before the end of the year which will offer guests a tremendously improved offering in terms of décor, comfort and flexibility.
Our rooms underwent a refurbishment in 2007 and while not brand new very often receive comment for their spaciousness and comfort. Our focus is to ensure the facilities we have are presented immaculately and backed up with market leading service. It seems that we failed to impact your stay with these efforts.
Thanks also for the feedback in regard to the late night room service menu. You are correct it is a limited offering which is in direct response to generally very low levels of demand and review of guest preferences and ordering habits. Sorry we didn’t offer something that suited you and we will certainly look to improve the healthy offerings on this section of the menu for future guests enduring a delayed late night arrival as you did.
Our processes for registering guests at breakfast are designed to ensure we identify guests that have breakfast included rates or other special package considerations and as a result we do try to ensure we are able to complete this process as part of the welcome and seating process. The team have received your feedback about the impression we created on this occasion and despite feeling that this is generally not possible in the normal flow of a breakfast period, will review how it occurred on this occasion. We have spent a great deal of time and effort to improve our breakfast offering and it is receiving some tremendous feedback including the quality of coffee and the hot variety and quality of food. This being said we aim to be constantly improving and it is clear from your comment that these elements failed to add value or impact to your stay.

I would welcome the chance to speak with you personally to discuss your stay and will send a private message with that aim.

Matt Anderson

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra? Share your experiences!