“Cheerful but not cheap” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Canberra, Australia
“Cheerful but not cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We came here on a quiet day for lunch. I'd read up and knew what to expect from Korean restaurants. I expected a little more food, I thought both the sides and meat dishes would be generous rather than minimal. The food was very tasty but for two of us - and around $70 - I wouldn't usually anticipate leaving hungry. We ordered dumplings to share and then two barbeque dishes, which was fun but not filling. The dumplings arrived long after the meal but the waitress was very nice about it. I don't think we'll be back but it was a novel and reasonably flavoursome meal - someone else mentioned the marinated eel and I can highly recommend it. Plenty of room for the pram, though.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Masterton, New Zealand
“Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Great BBQ experience with great food. Food served so you can cook it over a charcoal BBQ inserted in your table. This was well done as well as the food was perfect. The staff were great. I would recommend this experience as something worth trying.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Authentic Korean BBQ Experience Including the Slower Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

There are only a few Korean BBQ restaurants in Canberra, but of the ones that I have tried, this one seems to be the most authentic in terms of the BBQ experience and has a taste to match it. Rather than using propane gas, they use real charcoal and you can taste the flavors of the charcoal when you cook the thicker cuts of pork belly or kimchee on the grill. The meat just tastes better when you use charcoal to cook. They also have the exhaust fans above the grill to reduce the smell of smoke on your clothes, just like in Korea!

Like almost any authentic Korean restaurant, service is slow. That's why all the tables are equipped with the call button to ask for someone to provide you with service. Don't be shy to ask for suggestions as they were helpful in describing the menu items in terms of taste and size.

Though I have had better Korean BBQ in Los Angeles and Seoul, this has to be one of the better Australian Korean BBQ restaurants. I wouldn't hesitate to come back here and noticed that half of the customers there were non-Korean when I recently had dinner there.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bendigo, Victoria
“Different, fun and worth trying!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had never experienced a Korean restaurant like this so we asked the waitress to help us choose what to order and what to do. We really enjoyed her recommendations. We barbecued the meat and had lots of fun. The service was good, the drinks good- great iced water! Well worth trying!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Canberra
“Different!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We could see this place was popular, because it was busy on a rainy public holiday evening. It was evident also that it is popular with Korean people, because they were 90 percent of the customers, so the food must be authentic. Being Australian, we ordered BBQ pork and beef. My husband didn't really enjoy having to cut and cook his beef himself, and also said his meat was gristly. My pork was good, easy to cut with sharp scissors and it is served with a salad with a pink dressing, made of kiwi fruit and lemon, if I understood the waitress correctly. Also, dipping sauces and hot kimchi.
A nearby group seemed to thoroughly enjoy soups and noodles.
Good idea to have a bell to press, once you have decided on your choices. We had immediate service.

• Visited January 2013