“Friendly staff in Canberra. Unheard of!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 809 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Friendly staff in Canberra. Unheard of!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

It's great to find a place in Canberra that has engaging staff, warm atmosphere, yummy drinks, coffee needs improvement. The food is fantastic. Best eggs Benedict in Canberra. Most enjoyable. Our new favorite place in Canberra. Well worth it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Canberra, Australia
“Good but still room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I went to Ellacure for Mothers Day breakfast with my kids after hearing good things about it. On the whole I enjoyed the experience, but a few things left me feeling mildly disappointed.

The service was very good - efficient and friendly. My coffee was very slow to arrive though, and wasn't hot enough when it did appear. I do tend to judge a breakfast restaurant on the quality of their coffee so this wasn't a good start! But being Mothers' Day it was very busy, so perhaps on a normal day it would have been better.

Ordering for my family can be tricky, as I have a fussy 11 year old and a vegetarian teenager. No problems at all on the veg front, as they had a great range of dishes. But the complete shock on all our faces when I ordered vegemite toast for the 11 year old and was told they had no vegemite - really??? Honestly, how hard would it be to keep a jar of vegemite somewhere in the kitchen? Sounds to me like an arrogant chef who isn't prepared to keep the customers happy.

The teenager was very happy with French toast, giving it a 9 out of 10. I ordered smoked trout and scrambled eggs on toast. The eggs and trout were delicious, but the toast was thick and soggy. And I don't understand this obsession with serving things in bowls. Why on earth would you put eggs on toast in a bowl? It just makes the already tough toast crusts even harder to saw through.

From a value perspective I thought it a little overpriced - $50 is quite a lot for 3 people given that one of them only had toast. But I might go back some time and try out their lunch or dinner.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canberra, Australia
“Outstanding service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We ate here for the first time on Sunday night and found the staff to be friendly and courteous and the quality of the food excellent. It is sad that it is unexpected to experience good service these days, but we definitely did at Ellacure and I will highly recommend the restaurant to my friends. The staff managed to be friendly without intruding and the service was prompt for such a busy night. This is not a cheap restaurant, but we were very happy with the service and the food was delicious. Our new favourite I suspect.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Oh so close”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We dined at this restaurant last night and it was very good, but a few things just missed the mark slightly which brought the overall score down for me.
When we arrived we were told that we might be able to be squeezed in just barely, this is despite having a reservation. We sat down and got our menus, but later in the night we overheard the waitress telling a nearby table that there were specials, one of which we would have liked to order. That was very disappointing.
The bread and butter was delicious but probably should have been complimentary. For starters we had a smoked trout salad and zucchini and haloumi fritters. The salad was very good, sort of a Nicoise salad, and the fritters were tasty but the addition of haloumi mean that they were very dense and heavy.
For mains we had the duck leg (excellent) and lamb cutlets (very good) but both lacked seasoning and we had to add a lot of salt. Also as sides we ordered the green beans and polenta, and they were needed as the portions were fairly small. The green beans were slightly undercooked and screamed for seasoning. The polenta missed the mark by a wide margin. They were in quite large cubes (about 2cm) and as a result you got a nice crispy crust but an unpleasant gluggy chunk in the middle. If the cubes were smaller it would have worked better, plus something like rosemary and (once again) more seasoning.
The mint chocolate sundae for dessert was delicious.
The waitstaff were professional, but not being told the specials was a big disappointment.
They have a few things that just missed the mark on the night, but overall not a bad restaurant. Will try it again later on.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canberra
“Great food tucked away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The food here was great - reasonably priced and great combinations. We'll be back for breakfast one weekend!

Visited January 2013