“Relax and enjoy” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #486 of 836 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Australian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Come in and experience the creative new menu at Tongue & Groove. Shaped by our recently appointed head chef, Ayhan Erkoc, it showcases a diverse range of innovative yet playful dishes. South-Australia’s chef of the year, Ayhan has brought a quality to Tongue & Groove’s food drawn from the cutting-edge of cuisine. With style and service to match, in an award-winning interior, Tongue & Groove is the perfect meeting place for food, drinks and entertainment in the city.
“Relax and enjoy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Walked around looking to find a place and liked the look and feel of this bar, number of people in it also said to me it must be good. Sat inside on the couches and that was the end.. Kids were comfy, we were relaxed and the service was fantastic. Ordered some tapas, lamb corquettes and pork rougette, very nice, pizzas were great and a bottle of wine later we were on our way. Loved how the lights come down and atmosphere was great with real alternative folk which was different but ideal in this setting.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Canberra, Australia
“The staff with total recall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Ive been here twice and was very impressed on the staff's total recall of what you have been drinking!
Recently my diet has changed to be gluten and dairy free, this can be quite a pain as I also cannot cope with fried food. The Hen's night I was given polenta squares without cheese, which was great, recently I returned to T&G for a friend's birthday, I expressed my sorry for asking one dish to be gluten and dairy free, but they were fine with out. My dish was very late as when it came out the staff member noticed it still had cheese and sent it back and remembered I been drinking cider and offered a free pint for the delay!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Canberra, Australia
“Great service, below average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I went to TnG in the space of two weeks first, with a date with my girlfriends and a second with work. Both times the service was fantastic, however the food was below average.

They have had a menu change and I spoke to the waitress about it. All I can say is ditch the new head chef, bring back the old head chef and replace the menu.

The first trip I ordered bread with garlic butter, and calamari and a side serving of chips, and the cheesecake for dessert. The food was average but since I have dinned out here before I thought I would give it a second shot.

The second trip I ordered again bread with garlic butter, calamari (again) and a lamb pizza. I know TnG never put any topping on their pizza because I always use to go there all the time, but this time was horrible, there was no taste to the pizza, hardly any sauce covering the base, and you would be lucky if you got any lamb.

When our bread arrived it was all burnt, we sent it back because we couldn’t eat it, and the second lot came out just as burnt, we bit our lip and just ate the bread (taking up to 30 mins for the 2nd lot to come out) - the calamari was over cooked again, and the pizza did no justice. The only good thing about TnG that day was my glass of wine and my work make.

I wouldn’t recommend the dessert either, the cheesecake was just like cream (had no taste to it).

I would recommend this place only for drinks and the atmosphere; I wouldn’t go there to have a decent meal.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
ACT
“Horrible night out.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

i was out with girls from work, when we first got there they mixed up our 6 drink orders and made nothing we actually wanted.. had to wait over an hour for a table we had booked weeks in advance then when we were seated we were all asked for ID me biung only 20 had it on me but my boss who is almost 45 didnt have hers so they wouldnt let us have dinner, they kicked us out even after we asked to just eat and not drink and explained that we had all already been served alcohol they didnt care and asked us to leave imediatly. would never go back!!

Visited July 2012
sydney
“outstanding STAFF!! service, atmosphere and food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

this is my first review i hope it helps :)

I entered tongue and groove for the first time with a girlfriend of mine and our first thought was wow! the place was open with high ceilings and beautiful golden pendant lights. As we walked in to our amazement the pendant lights started to lower the lights were dimmed and the mood was set! after being amazed by the lights we made our way to the bar. we were greeted by a young man behind the bar tall dark and handsome and covered in tattoos and piercing's mmm. anyway enough of that! We were in the mood for a bottle of bubbles and something to eat. so we asked the young man what he would suggest in the way of bubbles. he instantly said a bottle of veuve with a grin on his face. my girlfriend and i both looked at each other and agreed. then without even having to ask he started to explain that they had recently changed their menu. and he said he could recommend some of the tapas items that would marry perfectly with our bottle of veuve. he recommended the king fish, the squid and the new improved pork belly and explained why they would go so well so without hesitation we agreed.
we were impressed that a bar tender would be able to provide such information about food as well.

We took our seat and before we knew it the food was already coming out to the table. the food was amazing! so full of flavor, beautifully presented and as the bartender recommended went amazingly with the champaign.

over all we were extremely impressed in all that tongue and groove had to offer.
from the lights, to the bartender, to the way he opened the bottle ( no pop!!! Brilliant), to the speed of the food, to the food itself we left extremely satisfied.

thank you tongue and groove! i will highly recommend this place to all my sydney friends

jenny :) xx