“Not bad food, but an unpleasant experience” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Singapore
“Not bad food, but an unpleasant experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

For a while, I have used this restaurant as my go to option when I had guests from out of town. It is blandly upscale, a bit more unusual than the Asian restaurants in Dickson, and right next to my house.

The past few visits have been increasingly disappointing, and I don't think I will be going back. The food is frankly, bland. Portions have gotten noticeably smaller. At our most recent visit, we had two two-person combination plates served together (i.e., for four) and it was visibly less food than had they been served separately. As others have noted, the service is grumpy and unwelcoming. It is not even close to a value for the prices charged.

There are better options nearby, as well as other Ethiopian restaurants in Canberra. This one really just isn't worth it anymore.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Very, very average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The service was gruff and hard to come by. The food was awful as it was very one dimensional and fairly tasteless. There are a couple of pictures on the wall which only contribute to the ambience of a work canteen. The owner and staff tried to hurry us out the door as soon as our table of eight finished eating, even trying to clear a glass of wine still being enjoyed. Why anyone would want to eat there twice is beyond me as I certainly will never go there again.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Canberra
“Lacklustre Food, Rushed Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

There were 8 in our group and we ordered the number 1 banquet on a Saturday night. The meal was served up very quickly but I found the food to be pretty ordinary, as did others in our group.

We’ve been to Fekerte's several times over the years and I think the quality of the food has steadily declined. The restaurant was only half full and it seemed the waitress was trying to give us the hint to move on by trying to take away unfinished wine glasses. We did not find the service friendly and the owner was glaring at us.

Maybe it was an off night but we will not be going back again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Canberra
“Delicious and healthy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Fekerte's is one of my favourite restaurants in Canberra. The food is always absolutely delicious without fail and the flavours are something different to the usual restaurant fare. The platters to share are probably your best bet - I think they are around $30 per person and you get to try lots of different dishes. My top 3 favourites would have to be the doro wat (spicy chicken curry), pumpkin wat (spicy pumpkin curry) and the vegetable alicha (mild vege curry).

The owner/front of house can come across pretty grumpy at first, but it's become a bit of a game for us to see if we can break him - it can be done and his smile and charm are rewarding if you succeed!

Not the cheapest dinner in town, but well worth it! (By the way, they also do takeaway.)

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“One dimensional wonder”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have been to Fekertes several times, though lately I regret each visit. While I enjoy the food, and have been willing to accept the disproportionately high bill, my hopes for an improved experience continue to be dashed. My first impressions were of tasty, interesting food, while the ambience, price and service were lacklustre. A friend who used to work there describes the owner as 'eccentric', which I agreed with the first time around.

My opinion lowered when I once made a booking for four people, and at the last minute had an extra person come along. Upon arrival, I politely explained the change and apologised. While I half expected to have to find another place to eat, given the patronage and the cramped layout, I didn't expect that the owner would fly into a rage and yell at me. Needless to say we went elsewhere (we weren't given much choice). Staff at another busy restaurant nearby went to the effort to find us a table and we left satisfied.

I gave Fekerte's another try more recently. I am not sure if the owner remembers my face, but we spent the whole meal being glared at. Perhaps it is not just me, as other reviews repeat these observations.

• Visited March 2012