“One dimensional wonder” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“One dimensional wonder”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have been to Fekertes several times, though lately I regret each visit. While I enjoy the food, and have been willing to accept the disproportionately high bill, my hopes for an improved experience continue to be dashed. My first impressions were of tasty, interesting food, while the ambience, price and service were lacklustre. A friend who used to work there describes the owner as 'eccentric', which I agreed with the first time around.

My opinion lowered when I once made a booking for four people, and at the last minute had an extra person come along. Upon arrival, I politely explained the change and apologised. While I half expected to have to find another place to eat, given the patronage and the cramped layout, I didn't expect that the owner would fly into a rage and yell at me. Needless to say we went elsewhere (we weren't given much choice). Staff at another busy restaurant nearby went to the effort to find us a table and we left satisfied.

I gave Fekerte's another try more recently. I am not sure if the owner remembers my face, but we spent the whole meal being glared at. Perhaps it is not just me, as other reviews repeat these observations.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Maitland, Australia
“Wonderful food, but we felt rushed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was our second visit to fekertes, the first was some years back. The shared platter for two is wonderful, with lots of different flavours and textures. Its certainly big enough for two.
We enjoyed the food just as much as we did a few years back. We had a booking for 6.30 on a Friday night. The place was packed (a good sign), but the service was still swift, possibly a little too swift. We certainly got the impression that they know they can get another sitting at the table so when you have finished get out! In our case that evening we didn't want to hang around anyway, so my rating is still high, but had we wanted to just to relax a little longer I would have found this service annoying.

• Visited September 2012
Canberra, Australia
“very poor customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

we had a booking for 6:30 on a friday night and as we enjoy starters more over the mains we opted for 6 starters, however only to be told 'on a friday night we can't have just starters and have to order a mains as well'. After confirming with the waitor he wasn't joking and attempting to convince him otherwise did we leave, we won't ever be returning.

The owner is devoid of any charisma and constantly glares at you whilst eating, the waitors attitude stem from indifference to rudeness and the mains are really not that special at all. For the price you pay it really is a bad experience.

That being said the only saving grace is the broadbean dip, that is superb. A better ethiopian experience is global cafe next to the coach interchange, friendly, welcoming and nice food.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
“Wonderful food, great service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I really enjoyed the food here. We ordered a share plater for two and were VERY full and satisfied. Tasty and fresh, great atmosphere. Good price too.

Visited September 2012
Canberra
“They don't know the meaning of the word hospitality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was looking forward to this new experience of East African food as I have had West African food from hospitable West Africans before and enjoyed it a lot. The booking was for 6.15 on a Friday night and there were 5 of us. The food was nice enough although overpriced, especially given it was completely vegetarian.

What would mainly prevent me returning or recommending the restaurant, however, is the poor quality of the service. There were two waiters plus the boss. One waiter was polite but the other was appallingly unfriendly, while the boss also had no warmth at all and kept glowering at our table, perhaps to see if we were finishing up.

The worst thing was that at the start, after we had been given the menus and sufficient time to study them and make our choices, we were then told that because it was "a busy night" we could not have our choices (ie we all wanted an entree plus a side-sized main - the latter being on offer on the menu). So, pretty disgruntled, we ended up ordering a full main each with no entree (none of us are big eaters). Yet the mixed vegetarian entree was a special, so they would have allowed sufficient qualities of food fin the kitchen for it. Why would they not want us to have it?

All up quite an unpleasant experience and left a bad taste, if you'll excuse the pun

• Visited July 2012