“Nice, simple hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Peppers Gallery Hotel

You added Peppers Gallery Hotel to your Saves list
Peppers Gallery Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Edinburgh Avenue, Canberra 2601, Australia (Formerly Diamant Hotel Canberra)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
James Turrell Special Off
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Olathe, Kansas
“Nice, simple hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

This hotel is quite nice. I arrived around 4pm on a Saturday and the very, very friendly receptionist got me situated immediately. She was even able to turn my Australian coins in to larger denominations (about $11, not much), which was great. Awesome service by her!

My room was not large, but was certainly comfortable. It had all of the standard comforts - good sized bed, desk, decently sized TV with good channel selection. The bathroom was quite large, and the shower was heavenly. On a cool winter visit, this was a big plus. Also, free WiFi that was fast and reliable! No view to speak of, though - I looked across a courtyard to another building. So be it.

Location wise, you're less than 10 minutes walk from the bars and restaurants of London Circle, at most. You're right off of a great path for running/biking/walking. There are a few cafes in the area, and they use one of them (A. Baker) for breakfast. If breakfast is included, you'll get a special menu at A. Baker with 5 or so choices, plus coffee/tea/juice. All of the choices tend to be pretty inventive, so if you're looking for a simple breakfast I might recommend looking elsewhere. But it was good. The in-house restaurant, Bicicletta, is okay - not great, not bad. With tons of other choices nearby, it's worth skipping.

I would certainly stay at the Peppers Gallery hotel again when in Canberra.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
James S, Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2014
Hi Zacharius,

Thanks for your review on trip advisor! The staff pride themselves on always being helpful, happy and friendly!! And it’s good to hear that you got to see this first hand.
It’s true that the New Acton precinct is really abuzz with lots of different eatery options for not only breakfast but lunch and dinner, all of which our staff can help advise any future guests of. Our own restaurant Bicicletta is not far off starting a lunch menu, including a buffet style and al’ a carte breakfast with an Italian twist.

And it is a definite bonus on how close we are (walking distance) to the main shopping district including bars and restaurants of Canberra.
I hope you will stay with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel (formerly Diamant) several times, and every time has been a fantastic experience. It's situated in New Acton, with Palace Cinema and several terrific restaurants, bars and cafes nearby - a very buzzy hub of Canberra.
The hotel rooms are quirky and nicely-appointed, with a great power shower.
I cannot believe the comments complaining about the reception staff. They are one of the prime reasons I keep returning to this hotel : warmly welcoming, patient, incredibly professional. Every time there has been some minor problem, they have dealt with it swiftly and considerately. No request (by email before I arrive or when I'm actually there) is deemed trivial or insignificant. They comprise the best reception staff of any hotel I have ever stayed at within Australia.
I will keep returning to this hotel. For me, it is indeed 'the best'.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Hi melodramaboy,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a glowing review!

We treasure our repeat guests and it’s fantastic that you enjoyed your stay and that this time was no exception!! We always try to go above and beyond to accommodate all of our guests requests to make them feel like Peppers Gallery Hotel is a home away from home such as great food and wine, comfortable rooms and of course as you mentioned the great location we are in.
We look forward to having you stay with us again!!
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

The first thing to note about the hotel is the interesting art and design throughout the hotel and the surrounding areas. There were so many things to do and see. With a great new cinema just around the corner.

The rooms are modern and have a cool vibe with amazing wallpaper on the ceilings. The room we stayed in was north facing and had lots of natural light not to mention an amazing bathroom with a good sized bathtub.

The best thing about the hotel for me and my husband was the friendly staff at reception. They really made us feel welcome from the second we stepped through the door and were quick and efficient with all our special requests . It is not too often we get to experience true hospitality like this. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath. No Spa, But they are really deep and big enough for 2.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Nikki S,

Very glad to receive your positive review for us at Peppers Gallery Hotel on trip advisor and please be assured, that these will be shared at the next team meeting. Our staff are always happy to help you with all and any needs you have, I’m happy to hear that they made your stay so inviting and comfortable. If you decide to stay with us again, please do not hesitate in contacting us directly, to insure we can organise the same room for you to enjoy again!

The rooms are defiantly a fun and interesting experience and a cut above the stereotypical “4 beige walls” hotel accommodation.

The art within Peppers Gallery Hotel and surrounding New Acton precinct is an eclectic collection and Peppers Gallery Hotel houses over 300 different original pieces ranging from local to continental artists.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Had a small room overlooking the courtyard and it was perfect for my stay - incredibly comfortable, lovely amenities, great wifi connection, very warm (it was a freezing and wet weekend in Canberra!). I had a problem getting a table for dinner in the restaurant and was initially disappointed by the rude barman's response. However, the manager then offered me a drink on the house and seated me in the lovely bar within 10 minutes. Food and drinks were great. There is no room service for breakfast, but the cafe next door (where breakfast can be included in your booking) was a lovely artisan bakery. NewActon is a fab area and great location for exploring Canberra. Reception staff were all very helpful, and I was able to check in much earlier than the stated time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Hi Nettle85,

Thank you for your kind review of Peppers Hotel, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary wifi and enjoyed the view of the quiet courtyard within our New Acton complex and that our staff could help with your early check in requirements.

Weekends are generally very busy in our restaurant, and we are looking at options to help seating arrangements so we can accommodate our in house guests more quickly. I am happy to say that we are looking at starting our own breakfast and lunch options at our own restaurant, with an Italian twist on old favourites. New Acton is such a fabulous place to stay with so many attractions nearby as well as I hope you will stay with us again soon.
Weipa, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

This hotel probably has the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Fantastic stay! Very nice and clean Deluxe room! Very friendly and helpful reception staff!
Unfortunately the restaurant doesn't belong to the hotel which is a pity. No room service. I didn't like the breakfast in the restaurant, only very fancy, alternative a la carte brekkie options, no traditional continental or hot breakfast.
Will stay here again latest April 2015.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Deb H,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor. It is great to read that our staff were welcoming on your visit and I am sorry to hear of your concerns regarding the food and beverage offer. We are in the process of launching breakfast at our Bicicletta restaurant on the 22nd of September which will have a Italian influenced buffet as well as a al a carte option. We hope to welcome you back soon to come and test it out.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

The hotel is nice and the staff are friendly. Rooms and bathrooms are modern but on the small side with a small desk and TV. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet.There are some cafes and places to eat around the place, but no room service for breakfast which isn't great for business travelers who are in a hurry and don't want to take their time at a cafe (particularly when the cafe the hotel recommends mucks up your order). The hotel is 10-15 minute walk from Civic. Check out was much slower than other hotels. There was only one person behind the counter and it took about 20 minutes so we ended up being late for our meeting in the city.

Room Tip: Leave time for breakfast and checkout.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
James S, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Hi Ant W,

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we do pride ourselves on our staff attitude here and I’m glad you experienced that. I would however like to apologise personally for the slow check out when you left us. Even in rush hour we try our very best to keep to high standards of efficiency for our guests’ convenience, and I will make sure that our staff are made aware of that and that the problem does not occur again. I can understand your disappointment with our lack of room service at breakfast time, but never fear, over the next couple of weeks we are in fact starting a breakfast buffet system in our own restaurant, Bicicletta, open from nice and early for all our business travellers who, as you say, are understandably in a rush for their morning coffee!
I hope you will be staying with us next time you come to Canberra, we look forward to seeing you then.
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We had a room at the back overlooking courtyard. It felt quite European. Fantastic being able to walk to cinema and a few funky cafes in the lane way area for breakfast. Quiet room. Lucky enough to get overnight parking in the street in front. It was fun.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hey there Planner55,

I’m glad you liked the slightly heritage feel of our hotel. It was in fact built in 1927, and I agree with you that the mix of old and new architecture really adds something to the atmosphere of the rooms. New Acton is a great area to explore, I hope you tried A Baker and Mocan and Green Grout while you were here! Apparently Mocan does the best coffees in Canberra!

We greatly look forward to seeing you again at Peppers next time you’re in Canberra.

Been to Peppers Gallery Hotel? Share your experiences!