“Get the 3 bedroom apartment” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Peppers Gallery Hotel

Save Saved
You added Peppers Gallery Hotel to your Saves list
Peppers Gallery Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Edinburgh Avenue, Canberra 2601, Australia (Formerly Diamant Hotel Canberra)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Spring Escape
Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Canberra
wahroonga
“Get the 3 bedroom apartment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Great 3 bedroom apartment with HUGE balcony overlooking the lake. Well fitted out and very modern but given the $ we were paying would have liked at least a tea towel in the kitchen. Also maybe another TV in the master bedroom.

Room Tip: Did not have a pool, the kids were very dissapointed
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear IJC283,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at the Diamant Hotel Canberra. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. The 3 bedroom apartment is a great option for families or groups visiting Canberra.
I have passed on your idea of adding a television in the master bedroom to the owner of the apartment. Our Housekeeping team will ensure that there are more tea towels provided in the apartment, I do apologies that this wasn’t provided on your stay.
Once again thank you for your lovely comments, I hope we will be able to welcome you back to us in the near future,

Maurits de Graeff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Tweed Heads, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I picked this up as a Wotif mystery deal and only stayed one night, and didn't have any complaints really. It was a nice little hotel with friendly staff. I got a cheap rate and was happy at that price, but probably wouldn't want to pay more. It's not what I consider worthy of 5 star prices, it's more boutique 4 star.

GOOD
- complimentary Internet that works pretty well & they proactively give you access
- you can go to fitness first gym (or a smaller one that is closer, but see below)
- modern, dark decor in lobby areas, which I like
- friendly staff
- l liked that it is a newish hotel in an old refurbished building
- restaurant food was good
- good in room air-conditioning

Not as good
- pillows weren't great
- car park is a bit of an effort to negotiate (different building, many doors, remotes, swipes etc)
- $5.50 for a small coke in minibar!
- minibar is one of those annoying auto-charge jobs so you can't use the fridge
- hotel & restuarant seemed to be frequented by oldies, not really a happening vibe (but maybe that is just Canberra in general?)
- chairs in room for show, not comfort
- tv is so small and far from bed I didn't bother switching it on. Why spend on a really good brand if it is tiny? (bang & olufsen) Bigger is better with TVs...
- some noise from other rooms travelled through to room pretty easily
- couldn't fully close curtains to shut out light

A tip - if you go to the gym, don't bother with the little one in the residential tower next door. It is tiny with no real weights and cheap machines. Go for Fitness First instead - I should have!

I'd stay here again with a discount rate.

Room Tip: I had a deluxe room & it seemed pretty standard to me. So maybe don't get a standard room?!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Plow9,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at the Diamant Hotel Canberra. It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that our staff were friendly and helpful throughout your stay with us and that you enjoyed dinning in our lovely Italian restaurant Bicicletta.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to us in the near future, on your next stay please do let my team know that you would like for the minibar to be cleared for your own use as well as the type of pillow you prefer in order to allow for us to create an even more enjoyable stay for you.

Mosman, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My partner and I stayed for one night in a standard room. On arrival, the receptionist was very friendly and welcomed us excitedly. Whilst checking us in we discussed the purpose of our visit, and the receptionist enthusiastically shared her recommendations for things to do in Canberra. The location of the hotel was just about perfect; although the area around was a little deserted (it was a weekend, I got the impression it would be livelier during the week), it was an easy walk to both the tourist attractions across the lake as well as the cafés/restaurants in the CBD.

The hotel is beautifully presented, both in common areas and the rooms themselves. The mix of old and new has been done very tastefully, with modern artistic features accentuating, rather than masking, the original Canberran architecture. The room was clean, comfortable, and everything we needed was provided. My only qualm was with the size of the room, however the description on the website had specified that the standard room was perfect for a single traveller - in hind sight I would definitely pay the additional to upgrade to a deluxe room.

In the morning we ate breakfast in the hotel buffet. Despite being the only diners in the restaurant (it was fairly early on a Sunday morning), the buffet was excellent and the staff were very polite and helpful.

The best parts:
- Beautifully presented, great combination of new, artistic features with older, charming architecture
- Extremely friendly, helpful and genuinely enthusiastic staff
- Great location, easy to walk to CBD and to lake

The worst parts:
- Room was very small, definitely pay for the deluxe room
- Bed was against corridor wall, this was frustrating when other guests were coming and going
- Bathroom is only screened from bedroom (no fully closing door), consider privacy aspects

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mitchell R,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a beautiful review about our hotel.
I am delighted to hear about how helpful and welcoming my staff were during your stay with us and that they were able to provide you with a vast amount of information about the local area.
We are very proud of the work that has gone into creating our beautiful boutique hotel and the combination, as you mentioned, of the original historical building with new furnishings and finishes. We are all very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the ambiance of the hotel and appreciated the beautiful story that comes with our hotel.
Our rooms come in various sizes and our Standard rooms are recommended for a one night stay for a single traveler, where as both our Deluxe and Premier rooms are more comfortable for couples or longer stays.
I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future,

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

What a luxurious stay I had in such a lovely historic building. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was lovely. Excellent position - very close to the CBD and within walking distance to ANU and the National Museum.
Free wifi and newspapers were a nice touch as I've become used to paying for Wifi even in the most expensive hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear AlwaysTravell5,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at the Diamant Hotel Canberra, It's so lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your lovely comments about the team, the hotel building and the restaurant.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to us in the near future,

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have stayed here before and enjoyed the hotel. It's in a good area and easy to get to. We stayed in a Deluxe room and it is a good size for two people.

The staff are very good here, breakfast is not included, WiFi is, there is free parking available on the street on the weekend, the restaurant is great with lots of different areas to sit, breakfast is excellent.

Unfortunately the rooms are starting to look a little tired. We were in room 203 and the marble desk in the bedroom was marked, at first we thought it was dirty with a mark from a glass, but it was etched into the surface. It was the same with the marble bench top in the bathroom. The tiles on the floor in the bathroom also had a mark which looked as though water had dried in a pattern on the floor, but this was a mark on the tiles and would not wipe away. The wallpaper on the ceiling in the bedroom is beginning to peel away, it's not visually appealing. There was a trolley for bedsheets in the corridor and the supply cupboard was open every time we went to & from the room, and makes the corridor look untidy.

I would recommend this hotel. I hope the rooms are given a refresh soon to make this a 5 star review.

Room Tip: A Deluxe room is a good size for two people.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RobboB_97,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at the Diamant Hotel Canberra and thank you for the lovely comments. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed staying in one of our beautiful Deluxe Rooms but sorry to hear that the room you stayed in needed maintenance. We do have a continuous maintenance system in place to ensure that the rooms get updated regularly and I will ensure that we fix the issues in room 203.
I would also like to apologise for the trolley for bed sheets that was left outside your room for a significant period of time, this plus the permanent open supply cupboard doesn’t make the corridor nice and tidy, our housekeeping manager is retraining the team to ensure this doesn’t re-occur.
Thank you once again for taking the time to review our hotel. I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My partner and i drove up from Melbourne to Canberra for one night stay, to see the Toulouse- Lautrec Art Exhibition in the Nation Gallery of Australia ACT.

On Arrival, the check-in receptionist was very excited to welcome us to Canberra and had a very vibrant & enthused attitude. we asked for a recommendation for a fine dining experience and based on mixed reviews, she reassured and recommended Sage Restaurant.

The Room was immaculately clean & fresh, crisp white sheets, comfortable lux bed, modern/contemporary furniture and very spacious bedroom & bathroom.

Before leaving for Dinner, we had a chance to meet with the Hotel General Manager, Maurits de Graeff; who was very welcoming and gone out of his was to organise our tickets for the Art Exhibition. Fabulous!!

Dinner that evening at Sage was most delightful and couldn’t be any more seamless, i will recommend this to everyone from now on.

In the Morning the Check-out Process again was very smooth and to have such a helpful enthused staff member like Daniel who helped us out, was fantastic.

All in all, We hope to return to Canberra and stay here once again soon to have this to die for, boutique experience....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear J_D-Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at the Diamant Hotel, I am so pleased to hear about the wonderful experience you had with us on your recent stay! Thank you for your lovely comments about our staff and hotel.
We are very proud of our hotel and the amount of work our design team went to in order to create a beautiful boutique hotel. Our team aims to reflect the pride through our service and strive to ensure all our guests have a special stay.
I am very glad to hear that you were had an enjoyable meal at Sage restaurant. Here in Canberra we are blessed with an abundance of lovely restaurants and cafes, beautiful museums and fantastic beautifully scenery.
Once again thank you for the lovely comments you have made about our hotel and staff. We very much so look forward to welcoming you back to the Diamant hotel, hopefully in the very near future,

Sydney NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights from 7 to 10 January in a twin room (102).
A very comfortable hotel, with good, clean facilities.
Staff were very helpful and polite and food in restaurant was lovely, if a little expensive.
The bathroom was well appointed, and only thing wrong with it was the lack of places to hang wet towels.
The instructions for use of the car park were ok but as another reviewer also found, we weren't told adequately how to get back to the hotel once car was parked (you have to walk back out of the car park, up the entry ramp, the way you came in).
The only other thing missing was a swimming pool - our visit was over 3 very hot days and a pool area would have been the ideal way to end each of our sightseeing days!

Room Tip: 102 was right by the entrance door and lift to this 'wing' of the hotel, but was relatively...
Dear KeeperSydneyNSW,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at the Diamant, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I’m very glad to hear you were able to enjoy a lovely meal at our restaurant, Bicicletta.
I do however apologize that our secure car parking was not properly explained to you. Your car parking pass does also work as a security pass allowing you to use the elevator rather than walking up the ramp. I apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused for you during your stay with us.
Unfortunately here at the Diamant hotel, due to our heritage listing we were unable to construct our own pool, but we are however conveniently located only a short walk away from the Canberra Olympic pool.
Thank you again for your review, we hope to welcome you back to the Diamant Hotel in the near future,

Maurits de Graeff

Been to Peppers Gallery Hotel? Share your experiences!