“Limited amenities, No fridge, Phone. Same as SM Quarters.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Budget Canberra

You added Ibis Budget Canberra to your Saves list
Ibis Budget Canberra
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Tay Street | Antill Street, Watson, Canberra 2602, Australia (Formerly Formule 1 )   |
Ranked #32 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Marananga, Australia
“Limited amenities, No fridge, Phone. Same as SM Quarters.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

If these guys belived by taking the fridge, phone and and coffee making facilities out of the room was going to lower the price, who are they kidding. All this has done is put a bad taste in many clients mouths. I had to put my drinks in a communal fridge near reception and as you would guess, $30 of drinks gone within 60 minutes. No free coffee. No nothing but a small crt tv, a double bed with a bunk above it and a sink at the end of this. The shower and toilet is a drop in compartment. Very tacky. The rooms are akin to single mens quarters on a mine site. At $89 there is no value. I suggest elsewhere closer than the 10kms out that this motel is from Canberra. No close food either. Lady at the counter was a shining light. Thankyou.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

My stay was similar to the many others I have enjoyed since this motel opened. It is good value for money and adequate in all respects.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Terrigal, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

I found the Hotel clean & comfortable. Staff friendly and available, I had not been to Canberra before and the Manager (Donna) told me where to go and how to get there. During the course of checking in that if I needed anything she would be glad to help and she did. There is a large map on the wall which I found very helpful.

This place was fulI so yes I would suggest to book in advance. After speaking with Donna she says that this hotel is always full for all types of reasons. Many of the guests spoke to Donna if they where her best friend. I talked to other guest staying they also enjoyed the Hotel and friendly atmosphere. (People live in syd and travel to canberra for work ) that stay at the hotel. Yes there are smokers out the front but it is a non smoking Hotel there are not much places where to go when it rains but on a sunny day there is an outdoor setting area for them. I dont smoke but was outside waiting for a cab.

Some people where going to weddings & funerals, others where off to courses and yes there where marathon people here as well. I found the reviews on this website just picky people. Yes its simple, yes there are different types of people in the hotel but isnt that fair to say that all hotels carry different types of guest ?

I never use hotel shampoos I always carry my own I really dont see that as a big issue ?

The showers are a little on the small side but I have stayed on a ship so again I didnt mind. My room had all its hooks & coathangers etc I used the iron (and it was good) in the laundry.... really people for $84 I got a good night sleep my heater/air con worked.

I am not sure why there is so many bad reports considering this hotel is always full this place was great.

Yes I would recommend having a car. It is only 10 minutes to the city. Buses and taxis are available but if your hear for 3-4 days I would recomend a car.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
, Manager at Ibis Budget Canberra, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
What a star :)

Thank you for your kind words and hope to see you again.
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Got there around 3 or 4pm and the receptionist just seemed like she didn't care, bunch of guys drinking and smoking outside the front entrance. Not a great first impression with young kids in tow!

The room was nasty, walls were stained, mould on the walls under the tv, carpets felt dirty, water coming out of the shower cubicle even when door is shut and blanket was dirty!

Big big problem of damp by the window. I left my coat on a chair next to the window and the coat was soaking wet in the morning!

Only reason I chose this place was the price, but even then a place needs to be a certain standard for you to stay there! I would definitely pay a little bit more and stay in a proper hotel next time!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
, Manager at Ibis Budget Canberra, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
You will be pleased to know that we are having a refurb starting 14th February, 2011.

All 75 rooms will have new capet, new paint, brighter rooms more lighting. We are looking foward to the new changes you might want to see what we have done next time your in canberra

Been to Ibis Budget Canberra? Share your experiences!