“THE WAY TO STAY” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Australia

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“THE WAY TO STAY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Wherever you arrive, a large airport, on the urban side, often you have to travel further than fifteen minutes before you arrive in the real city. So I arrived in Australia several times on the south side, Sydney, Melbourne where you have plenty of opportunities to get your own way. In one place you go to the city to be longer than on the other side of the country. If the city is large, you are more the ability to get immediate tram, or subway can take, but Darwin is entirely dependent on buses. This drive often enough, though you have an hour away to the city. In this town you're not as fast as for example in Melbourne or Sydney, where a direct metro connection, but more about that later. In Darwin you to the center is about a bit of time, and you'll be dropped off at the bus station, not far from the YHA, Mitchel Street. From here you have many options as many night markets and cafes that you're able to reach a loopafstandje. For your daily shopping, there are plenty of supermarkets, including at Mitchell Street, opposite Red Rooster. On Smith Street is the Woolworth to Cole Mitchel Street you can find. Furthermore, there are also book trips from here to Jaribu National Park and Ayers Rock, a famous, or perhaps the best known part of Northern terretory.
If you are a very special way to travel through the country, as I did, Australia is the perfect place to go. Wherever you arrive, buses abound. Mc-Cafferty's, State Liner, Pioneer Press Firefly and Grey are very expensive. I myself had chosen for elevators, so I am extra fast in Australia from one side to the other hitchhikers. Even up in Sydney's downtown and I was there before the bus drove off leaving the same day from the heart of Darwin. I'm with road train truck drivers rode, with what else others who were kind to me in the center to turn off, even if you do not have a lift to go get, there are places that you barely ten Australian dollars to the Central Station, located Eddy Avenue could bring. With a handicap like that I would be glad to help anyone. Once you've come to the center there is any possibility of a cheap way to get around the city. If you for example to the Opera House like and you have enough time, then walk via George Street or Pitt Street, taking you through this long shopping is that very diverse from modern to chic, here are the restaurants, cafes and other things more expensive, but is worth. If you are looking for a hostel I can recommend Aussie House, Victoria Street, taken out when in the hall, at Kings Cross, straight from the underground right. Peter is the owner of this cozy hostel with a lot of opportunities, such as, bus and tour bookings. There are two public kitchens and a large courtyard. These clinics are a barbecue organized with both meat and vegetarian things to eat are.

Zug, Switzerland
“Australia for first time visitors...some basic tips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

Although I have come to Australia for brief business meetings I never had the opportunity until now to spend a bit of time here and truly get a feel for the lovely country that it is.

Biggest disappointment: EXPENSIVE!!!!! From restaurants to hotels to supermarket groceries, Australia is off the chart. We live in Switzerland which I thought was expensive. Switzerland, meet Australia. Yeesh.

Biggest surprise: the friendly and lovely people. What a fantastic country!

Best thing: apart from the weather (if you are from the Northern Hemisphere there is nothing like spending your winter in the Southern Hemisphere!!!) the food is fantastic. Oyster lover? You will be in heaven. Ask for Coffin Bay oysters--my personal fave!

For this trip I came for business again was able to stay for a bit of holiday on the tail end of the business trip. Having no feel for Australia I really didn't know where to start in terms of planning. I wanted to maximize our time here and see everything we could in the 5 days I had free. But there's not really a guide for that.

My experience is limited to the Sydney area and Adelaide but I certainly have a much broader feel for what is what and I hope this can be helpful to anyone who is wondering where to go and what to do when visiting this vast land.

First a bit of geography. Australia is HUGE. For Americans, think of Australia like the US--to go from Brisbane to Adelaide is like going from Washington DC to New Orleans....it's a LONG trip. If you have only a couple of weeks, don't try to see more than two places.

In our case we began in Adelaide--(actually Glenelg, a lovely little town on the coast, near to Adelaide). The weather is fabulous, the weather perfect and Glenelg is situated right on the coast which makes a lovely beach holiday. It's a fantastic place for families who are looking for a nice seaside holiday. Glenelg is mostly beach, nice restaurants, and if you take the tram into Adelaide you'll get everything from a lovely new zoo to very good shopping. We stayed at the Stamford Grand, Glenelg which I reviewed on Tripadvisor. It may not be the most luxurious property but certainly offers plenty for the week holiday. It is not what you'd consider luxurious--Glenelg is really a family holiday destination so you will not find Ritz Carltons or any hotel near to that standard. It is friendly and relaxed however, and was trouble free.

We stopped next in Sydney. It's truly a lovely city--it is remarkably both manageable and cosmopolitan simultaneously (Actually it reminds me a bit of Toronto--minus the bad weather!). We stayed at the Quay Grand Suites--and what a fantastic choice that was. Perfectly located and modern--again you'll find the review on Tripadvisor. We have a 4 year old daughter so we were wondering what to do. From Circular Quay you have a myriad of options--from the zoo which you can reach by ferry to the aquarium in Darling Harbor. There are museums and a lovely park called Hyde Park where we spent Australia Day. You can also reach the beach city of Manly and Bondi via ferry if you are so inclined.

The Fish Market deserves a trip...if you enjoy seafood be sure to visit--you can get seafood cooked to order or take some uncooked seafood home to cook yourself. There are several vendors as well as an array off restaurants to cater to your specific seafood hankerin'!

Two parks which deserve special mention are the Koala Park Sanctuary in Pennant Hills (www.koalaparksanctuary.com.au) and Featherdale (www.featherdale.com.au) where my daughter got the opportunity to pat koalas and kangaroos. They were both a huge highlight for her--and each for different reasons.

The Koala Park Sanctuary isn't as slick as Featherdale but is a really nice hands on experience in a small park (you are not with as many people as you are in Featherdale). KPS has a nice demonstration of sheep shearing, boomerang throwing, and a border collie rounding up sheep. There is also a koala keeper who gives a talk about koalas before you are able to then wait your turn in line to pat and take a picture with the koala. There is also a kangaroo area where you can feed the kangaroos and have a pat and cuddle. My daughter stayed in this area for about 2 hours--she just couldn't get enough.

Featherdale has a few more exhibits and is a bit more slick than KPS but they don't have the live demonstrations that KPS has. If forced to choose one I'd choose Featherdale but truly they were both fantastic and if you can do both I'd recommend that you do, especially if you have children.

Next we went to Coogee Beach for a bit of sun and sand. Make no mistake (like we did), Coogee is quite Bohemian--it has a small village feel and does not cater to self proclaimed princesses such as myself. So, initially we were disappointed. I was looking for relaxation and luxury. But I did get relaxation anyways. Coogee is a very relaxed beach town with a fabulous choice of restaurants up the main street--and a bit cheaper than Sydney. The main attraction is the beach of course, however, be prepared to fend for yourself--no rentals of any kind! We hopped out to the main street to buy a beach chair and sun umbrella along with some beach towels...and we were set. Not far away is Bondi Junction--a mall with all the stores you need and some that you didn't know you needed! Yes Australia has Target (which we were thrilled to see) but no, sadly it's not as nice as the US. Nevertheless you can usually get what you need.

Grocery stores are Coles or Woolworth (for my US brethren, yes, Woolies is a grocery store!) and the selection is fresh and good. If you have an apartment or hotel with kitchen facilities you'll get to know both stores reasonably well. Get our your wallet!

I am happy with what we've seen so far but on my list for "next time" are Perth ( I hear that the beaches are fantastic) and the Gold Coast (again, probably would have gotten a bit more luxury here and may have been more my style).

Good luck on planning your trip and just remember--don't try to include too much geography in your visit or you'll be exhausted from the travel alone. Concentrate on a couple of areas and soak up the local flavor...and then come back.

“Australia is a must see trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

In July I visited australia via Tahiti and loved it. We started at the Great Barrier Reef, everyone in the world needs to scuba or snorkel the GBR!! It was fantastic, neon blue starfish, huge clams and fish with multiple neon colors. You have to see it to believe it.

Then we went to Sydney which is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to go back and visit. It was my first time there and we were on the 26th floor overlooking the opera house & the harbour bridge. Amazing! Love the pubs and city, so much to do, I definitely needed more time there.
The people are so friendly and helpful and there is something for eveyone in Australia. We met some great people and plan to visit them in New Zealand and Western Australia the next time.
The money was even beautiful there, loved every minute.

I took a day trip to Surfer's Paradise and the bus system in Australia is very easy to travel and the views...

If you ever get a chance to go, take it!

Arizona
“No sleep at Kings Canyon Resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

Visited Australia for 4wks, People wonderful,time in Melbourne great... Citigate hotel was good, galleries interesting, Victoria Mkt = the best!

Our time in "Outback" was mostly awesome. Lodging at Yalara Resort (Emu Apts) for Uluru & Kata Tjuta was very good. Parking to unload luggage needs improvement. The two Aboriginal 'Sacred Sites' were inspiring and worth the 15hr flight.

But, the sleepless night at the Kings Canyon Resort was way too memorable. Beware- this bed was imported from a defunct 1950's spot in un-rateable city... Only lodging available @ $260+ for DIScomfort. Dinner at Bar BQ was good.

Pathdorf B&B in Alice Springs was very good.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Peterpans Adventure Travel, Airlie Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

Was recently in Australia, was in Airlie Beach & was looking around for deals on the bus companies that travel around New Zealand!! They did and also asked me if i had booked any of the activities for New Zealand, i had'nt and after a few weeks of travelling you soon come to realise that you dont really need to book ahead most of the time...exept in high season! They added the activities that i had chosen & saved my file for a few days later after looking around as you should ALWAYS look around, so many cheaper deals around!!! So a few days later after making my desicion i went back to book my bus pass, they asked me if was booking any of the deals they had discounted for me. I said no as i was only booking my bus pass, the Manager of the store IMMEDIATELY dismissed me because she did'nt get all the other deals closed!!! Shrugged me off completely & was REALLY rude to me after that!!! So....if your not booking more than one thing there, dont go to them!!! Very bad customer service!!!

Been to Australia? Share your experiences!