“GREAT RECEPTIONIST” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mundford
Norwich, United Kingdom
“GREAT RECEPTIONIST”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Was recommended by friends to go to eat there WOW great looking place . After having are meal which was not at its best portions not big we must have came on a off day .We spoke to receptionist about this who was very helpful kind and very professional because off this we will be back to try again . Unfortunately can not remember her name but she had long red hair. We are from Norwich area will bring mother next time.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A stunning building! Grand and amazing to be in!

If I HAD to criticise ANYTHING about this place, it is slightly dated (A tiny tiny tiny bit)

Apart from that: Perfect.

I bought my grandma here when she was in her final months, and the staff were lovely with her, and even offered to help us walk her around the grounds.

I haven't stayed in the rooms so I cannot comment on them.

The food was lovely.

(If you don't want to look at PM's faces, stare at your plate- They have portraits of them in the restaurant).

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
LynfordHallHotel, Manager at Lynford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Artemis M,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor,

I am so glad that you have some happy memories of Lynford Hall Hotel with your Grandma.
Our formal gardens are so tranquil and relaxing at any time of year.

Our portraits of British Prime Ministers are a popular talking point, although they were recently removed to allow some TV filming to take place. You will be pleased to know they are now safely back again!
We hope to welcome you back to Lynford Hall soon.

Somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

we were really looking forward to our nights stay in the Lynford Hall hotel, as all the photos and most of the reviews sounded promising. The reception staff were fantastic, as we arrived several hours before check in following a five hour drive, they got us into our room within 10 minutes. However, as soon as we entered the room the disappointment set in, the room was extremely tiny, smaller than any room I've stayed in, including ones in central London, there was too much furniture in the room, which meant you couldn't move without knocking something, but worst of all was the bed. It was obviously the cheapest design they could get, no support in the divan, the mattress had no support either, which meant that when you lay on the bad, you just sunk into it and could feel the wooden supports on your back. Other members of our party who had rooms in the main house said there rooms were big and beds comfortable, so if you do stay at this hotel, don't have a courtyard room. Also in the courtyard the noise of banging car doors and Americans shouting all night, meant hardly any sleep at all.
The service at the bar and at breakfast was good, and as I've said the reception staff were five star, even when I mentioned the poor quality of the bed, the young girl looked embarrassed and said they were very busy with Americans ????

Sorry, but would not visit again.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear crossmans,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry to hear that you didn't have the best nights sleep with us. I have passed on your comments to our housekeeping team.
I am glad that you found the reception and front of house staff helpful. We are essentially a small team at Lynford Hall but everyone makes a real effort to make sure our guests are happy.

I hope you will re-visit and stay in one of superior or mansion suite rooms in the future.

Best Regards

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I was expecting a lot from this hotel, as it sounds rather fine. The reception area and some of the communal areas were rather impressive, but the room I stayed in (101) wasn't up to the standard I have been used to at other places I have stayed in recently, which were ordinary lesser rated hotels. Was rather plain and basic and the shower didn't work properly. The literature could have been more helpful and better presented. Nice bar, with a real fire - tea/coffee served with homemade biscuit (looked too perfect and similar to the packs you can buy in the supermarket). Staff helpful and friendly though. Breakfast again, not as good as hoped for (the Kemp Townhouse, Brighton far surpassed the offering, in fact they far surpassed on every level and they should pay a visit for inspiration, i.e. homemade biscuits, muesli, welcome drinks, luxury soaps/shower gel, etc.). If you are not driving, quite hard to get to I had to get a train from Brandon about 5 miles away, so had to get a lift there) as too far to walk - trains limited, but only 45 mins from Norwich.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
LynfordHallHotel, Manager at Lynford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear beaniebaby2012,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that the room you stayed in was not up to the standard you were expecting and I duly note the points you have made.
I am glad you enjoyed our bar with the log fire and also that you found the staff friendly and helpful, we have a small team here at Lynford Hall and everyone works really hard to make sure our guests enjoy themselves.
Our location is quite unique, set in 7000 acres of Thetford Forest but as you mention rail connections are at Brandon which is close by. Also with the A11 now fully completed the whole of Norfolk is much more accessible to everyone.
We hope to see you again soon.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2015

We booked to come to Lynford Hall to stay as we had heard about its connections with Allo Allo and were interested in coming to see it. We drove up in snow and was welcomed by the very friendly receptionist.
The bedroom in the extension was clean and tidy and had everything you could of wanted.
Meals
We had breakfast and one night decided to eat at the hotel. Though the food was good and nothing to complain about the dinning room was freezing both breakfast time and dinner time. There was also quite a bit of wait in between meals as well, though it wasn't busy as we were probably the only other guests apart form a few.
The grounds are stunning and worth a look,

Room Tip: try and get room in main building
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
LynfordHallHotel, Manager at Lynford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2015
Dear Clarky 4910,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel does indeed share a unique connection with "Allo Allo" as our courtyard was used as the setting for the town square and the exterior of "Café Rene" Other areas such as the archways and the main entrance also featured in the show.
Keep an eye on our website for details of an upcoming reunion of some of the cast members here later in the year.
Apologies that that the dining room wasn't as warm as it should have been on your visit, I'm glad you enjoyed the food though.

I hope to welcome you back to Lynford Hall again soon.

Farnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2015

We took my Mum for High tea as a treat on Saturday. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The tea was superb, beautifully presented and the best chocolate cake I have had in a long time. Nothing was too much trouble for them. We will definately go back and try the restruant. Many thanks Lynford Hall for making Mums treat so memorable. Lesley & Anthony

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dear L W,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It was lovely to meet you all on the day and hear about your wedding day memories at Lynford Hall.

We hope to welcome you back again in the summer when you can sit outside and admire our formal gardens from the terrace.

Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2015

This was my first visit to Lynford Hall and was immediately impressed with this stately hotel.
The entrance lobby/reception gives you an insight to the splendour that the hotel wishes to portray.
It does surprise me, that when the hotel does not have many guests, you are not offered an upgrade. Instead people are put in the stable block/servants quarters which can spoil a visitors expectations of a luxury 4 star accommodation.
As in previous reviews, the walls in these rooms are thin and yes you can easily hear your next doors neighbours conversations. Again I wonder why put guests in rooms next to each other when there is capacity to leave a 2/3 room gap and allow less disturbance.
In the bedroom hotel information folder there is a description of the facilities available one of which is the provision of 'Luxurious Toiletries' sorry but a one very small shower gel and one even smaller shampoo for two people to share pushes the description a little bit.
The heating was noisy but drowned out by the even louder noise of the extractor fans.
The dinner menu seems limited for a 4 star hotel, and the quality is not of a standard I would have expected. I have eaten better prepared good at lesser rated restaurants.
I understand portion control to save money but the next morning when I had my Full Engoish breakfast my mushroom had been cut in half even though it wasn't that big to start with ... Seriously?

Great for functions and weddings but for an overnight stay maybe not so good in my opinion ....

Room Tip: Stick to the main house or ask for a room not close to other residents if you are in the stable bloc...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
LynfordHallHotel, Manager at Lynford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2015
Dear Teejayh,

Thank you for recent review on Trip Advisor,

I have noted the points that you have raised and apologise for the fact that you were not offered an upgrade to one of our superior rooms.

To my knowledge we are not listed anywhere as a four star property, I would say we are a good three star hotel so our restaurant menu reflects this. As you mention we are indeed a very popular wedding and function venue but I would hope that we can still look after our other guests to a reasonable standard.

I hope you will return to stay with us in the future.

andrew@lynfordhallhotel.co.uk

Been to Lynford Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!