“A delight - a "real" café” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bakery, Coffee Shop, Dessert
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Reigate, United Kingdom
“A delight - a "real" café”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Fabulous food, correctly-made coffee and accommodating atmosphere make this café a pleasure to frequent. The staff are friendly and helpful. I had a tip-top salad of smoked salmon and avacado served on a bed of green leaves, baby tomatoes and chopped beetroot, lightly dressed with oil and balsamic vinegar. It was substantial, fresh and tasty.

Cappucino is very well served with a good balance of froth, milk and strong coffee. My tip is to ask for one extra shot (they give 2) because the cups are quite large.

I head here whenever I go to Beckenham and it's always a pleasure. Switching off the intrusive cacophonous muzack would add even more to the enjoyment :-)

This is a proper community café and deserves success.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Beckenham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

A civilised Sunday in Beckenham should be spent in this fab establishment.

Service is friendly & professional & not obtrusive. No pressure to vacate tables, which is appreciated & rare.

We had a toastie each for lunch; made with fresh baked bread (not supermarket squares!) which is served with the unusual addition of sweet chilli jam..... But boy does this work well!

The display of freshly baked cakes was just too tempting..... We indulged in the Victoria Sponge & the Lemon Meringue ...... Sinfully good....

We will definitely be regulars!!!

Croydon UK
“Lovely, relaxing atmostphere, great coffee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Met a friend here this afternoon. I arrived first and was brought a glass of water as soon as I sat down, even before I'd ordered anything, while I waited for my friend. The tea my friend had was leaf tea rather than just a tea bag and my coffee was delicious. Friendly, helpful staff and a very relaxing atmostphere - I wish I had more reasons to come here! Hope they go from strength to strength.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Nice atmosphere and selection of cakes and teas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Love that this place is different than the normal coffee shops out there, great selection of coffees, teas and cakes.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
United Kingdom
“Disgusted and appalled by treatment of staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

My family of 8 come in to Fee and Brown weekly and up until now very much enjoyed our experience. We have had good relationships with the staff and with the lady who runs it alongside her husband.

I have recently been through the turmoil of finding out I am gluten free and still find it uncomfortable and embarrassing having to ask for the gluten free options. On this occasion my Aunty who comes in more than once week had arrived before us and had already ordered a coffee - if it wasn't for this we would have left when we realised that on this occasion they did not do any GF option.

Today there was 4 of us all who of which had ordered coffee and cake and myself ordered just an OJ as no other option. As he did not offer us any alternatives I brought in GF cake myself so I could enjoy celebrating my Mothers Birthday with the rest of my family. I did not see any problem with this as we still had ordered £30 worth of produce and as no alternatives were offered seemed the best way to solve this issue. This was not because I decided I did not like what they had on offer but because it would make me seriously ill if I had eaten gluten, and I did not see this as any different from parents bringing in biscuits etc for their children (which regularly happens).

As a business owner I would have looked at the situation and been glad that they still wanted to enjoy the time in the cafe and also sorry that we could have not helped her. Instead the man who jointly owns the cafe with his wife came over and made a dramatic scene in front of all. He started off by saying he found it extremely rude and insulting to him, his customers and his GF bakers (who were on holiday) that I was eating cake not produced by him (despite not offering any on that day). I explained the situation to him however, he asked us (half way through eating) to leave the cafe as he was so insulted. We all found his behaviour insulting ourselves and felt bad that all the food we had ordered would be going to waste and felt that if he had an issue with it he could have dealt with it in a much better way and in a professional manner. Several of the remaining customers there said how they thought it was disgusting how he had treated us.

If this wasn't bad enough on searching through social media I find he had posted publically about the incident to his 1260 followers which I find utterly disgusting - not only does this only show his side of the incident it also breaches the code of customer service and customer confidentiality and is highly unprofessional.

Utterly disgusted with this service and we will NEVER be coming back again nor will we be recommending it to anyone which is a shame as we used to enjoy spending money in there.

• Visited May 2014