“Cheaper to eat Italian in Venice than in Beckenham” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bromley
“Cheaper to eat Italian in Venice than in Beckenham”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

It is wonderful having a well run Italian restaurant just a few minutes walk from where you live. I took my girlfriend out for an evening meal in October 2012. The food was decent but did not make any significant impact. We felt we had paid a lot more than the quality of the food deserved. Our fears were confirmed a few months later when on a trip to Venice, we got a lot more in terms of quality, quantity and service in a similar sized restaurant for at least 10% less. I am a believer in supporting local shops on my high street and I understand that the economic times are harsh. However, I think Pierluigis could do better if they provided fairer prices. Also, a larger group seemed to get more attention than my partner and I. Not very impressed.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“service was poor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

went out for valentnes day and maybe that was the problem. they seemed to rush you through the door sit you down and try and get you in and out for the next customer, i cant fault the food but staff and service need to improve.

Visited February 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Great Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My partner and I decided to try this Restaurant as a change from Our regular choices in Beckenham and we were not let down. Saw the 3 star rating on trip advisor and was a little sceptical about trying however I think this restaurant deserves a better rating. From the moment we arrived till when we left we were treated amazingly by the staff. Friendly greeting upon arrival and all throughout the meal. We were checked on frequently to make sure our food and wine were ok and even when we asked to move tables were were reassured it was no problem and offered a lovely seat towards the front of the restaurant. There was one waitress which really let down the restaurant, she was unhelpful and made us feel as if we were troubling her but I wouldn't let one person spoil my rating for this restaurant and we only encountered her 3 times. The lovely Italian waitress who mentioned she was from Lombardy was great!

For starters we had the calamari and the marinated salmon and swordfish. The calamari was served in a tasty spicy tomato sauce and was tender, and piping hot. The salmon and sword fish dish was interesting. Maybe a bit too fishy tasting for me personally but only what you would expect from raw marinated fish. The lovely soft bread complimented these dishes perfectly.

For mains we had the bacon wrapped chicken and vegetables and the parmigiana risotto. I'm not a risotto eater but decided to try this for a change and it was lovely. Hugely tasty and generous portions, I may be converted! My partner enjoyed the chicken, nothing spectacular but a tasty well cooked dish.

For dessert we shared an amazing tiramisu and I had a baileys coffee which was one of the best liquor coffees I've ever been served. Smooth, sweet and creamy and complimented by some lovely Italian biscotti.

This restaurant is definately a favourite in Beckenham now and they gladly deserve to be named the best Italian in Beckenham. Do yourself a favour and do away with all the chain Italian restaurants in Beckenham and try some decent traditional Italian food which comes with good, friendly service.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Always liked this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Have been going to this restaurant for years and it is very consistent. It is Italian with a good variety of pasta. Excellent food and service if a little expensive, but it seems you have to pay these days to get anything decent. My whole family love it - can get noisy at busy times, but great for lunch. It is a typical Italian restaurant.

Visited August 2012
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Great meal, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We went to Pierluigi's on a Monday evening to celebrate a birthday. We were offered a choice of tables, as it wasn't too busy, and chose a table by the window with plenty of room. The waiters and waitress were charming and attentive, without being cloying. We had the sardine starter, which was unusual, being rolls of sardine, stuffed, in a tomato sauce. Our main course was some of the best fillet steak we have tasted for a while, cooked as we had requested. The only oddity was that the steak was served on a slice of bread for some reason. My partner had zabaglione for her sweet, which she very much enjoyed, while I chose tiramisu, a dish I don't often choose, but this seemed home made and very pleasant. Together with a half bottle of Sicilian red wine and decaffeinated coffee, our bill was £105 - quite expensive, but we didn't resent paying for quality. We will very happily return.

• Visited December 2012