“A good night out with a friend” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A good night out with a friend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Visited Browns on Saturday with a friend and enjoyed it. Table booked for 7:30pm, after our meal, we moved into the bar area where we stayed till 10pm and enjoyed a drink before heading home for England's first match. Had I based my decision to go to Browns on the reviews read here, I would certainly not have gone. However, after having such a good experience at the one in Mansfield, I wanted to try it out. Overall, my friend and I had an enjoyable experience. I feel very much that some of the reviews are a little harsh, but I guess I can only comment from my experience. The food was very yummy, especially the very, very. yummy white chocolate cheesecake... The service was good with the waitress being very attentive. The décor is slightly eccentric but warming none the less. I would definitely recommend it. Thanks Brown and defo will be back in the future.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
browns-newark, Owner at Brown's Cafe Bistro and Bar, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thanks for the review and glad that you enjoyed your time with us.

“Extremely disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Today I booked a table for our entire family (party of 11) to have afternoon tea at Browns Fernwood. As a regular and local the advertisement of 'Fathers Day afternoon tea with craft beers, butch cakes and sarnie a a builder would be proud of" struck me as something different ! I booked the table in advance and paid a £45 deposit for the table the week prior! Today we arrived and were served exactly the same afternoon tea as standard! No butch cakes- no builders style sarnies! When questioned I was told the squires of yorkie bar on top of each cake were the manly part! Needless to say the x4 dads in our party were less than impressed ! It then gets worse..... Accepting that the tea is not what we expected but determined to make the best of it we tuck in only to discover the clotted cream served with our scones is OFF!!!!! My 1 year old daughter had been eating some prior to my discovery. We complained to staff who although helpful lacked any experience or relevant training to deal with the situation. I asked for fresh scones as ours were smeared with the foul cream. We were then told they had no more clotted cream and we could only have jam! We were then told the kitchen staff are new and had used the oldest pot of clotted cream which had been opened a "few days". The fact that I booked the table and paid a hefty deposit a week in advance baffles me that they did not have fresh clotted cream in today!!! I am disgusted and embarrassed by the whole experience which caused me much embarrassment. I would email these comments directly to the management but as there is ok email contact on their website I have been forces to put them here.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Sorry you were disappointed if what we served was not up to your expectations. We have tried since to contact you but to date we have had no response. If you could please get in touch then I am sure we can fully explain what happened and look to giving you a better experience with us. The email does work from the website or just give us a call
Soyo, Angola
“Family meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Last night we had a family meal for 4, gammon and chips ,child pizza,steak and ale pie with chips and veg and the holy cow burger all were very nice,we also had 3 soft drinks and 2 pints with the meal the bill was 56 pounds,food was of a very good standard and came on a decent time,staff we present and professional,there were around 20 other people eating and drinking,nice relaxing music,that's the second time I've eaten there and once again good food,the child pizza was a very good size an they also do take away pizza!!!
See you soon browns.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
browns-newark, Owner at Brown's Cafe Bistro and Bar, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to post your review, and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your tiem with us. Look forward to seeing you again.
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Poor Service and food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Myself and my husband decided to go for the afternoon tea here as it's often advertised and sounded lovely. We came along on a Sat afternoon and ordered the afternoon tea for two. We waited and waited...no order after almost an hour. I went to ask the staff at the bar where our order was, he said that the staff that took the order had left so he (with a not bothered shrug) said he'd check on it. Finally our order came and oh what a disappointment, hard bread on the small sandwiches, two teeny scones and 3 horrible small cakes, and no tea. I went to ask the same member of staff for the tea and he shouted to ask someone else if the afternoon tea came with tea. Then he said I will get someone to bring it. He wasn't bothered at all and I think the way that he was dressed, he was a manager. So at £9.95 per head for this, so disappointing and just terrible service. It is a shame as we are local and used to go along often. I even emailed re my experience and heard nothing back. Not great.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Thanks for taking the time to post your very first and only review with us.

Not sure what to say, the scones are a standard size and go out each and every day, and we have never had a comment on them before. Our cakes are large, no doubting that, and out patisseries are, well, small cakes.
Strange thing about the manager that you mention, is that we have not employed a male manager at Newark for some months now.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Overpriced, slow and dirty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Went the other night. The decorations were silly - too much clutter. The bar staff were friendly but slow and took too long to be served as they were all making cocktailes. Our table had not been cleaned for a while and had old glasses and was sticky. The drinks were way overpriced and my Carlsberg had too big a head. No way will I go again.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
browns-newark, Owner at Brown's Cafe Bistro and Bar, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Well, well, well. I know it probably just coincidence, but a brand new first time trip advisor account, with such petty comments, arrives just the same day as a member of staff finally leaves us? However all is not lost, at least they have stated that they will not be coming back.