“Couldn't have been more different” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Couldn't have been more different”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We visited Brown's not long after it first opened.....and being in the area last week, decided to give it another shot. It couldn't have been more different to the last meal we had there, which frankly we wouldn't have fed to a stray dog it was that bad! We were greeted warmly and asked where we'd like to sit. Our drinks order was then taken at the table and we were left with a couple of menus. Drinks arrived which were reasonable Chenin Blanc and a pint of beer, although at over £4 was a bit on the expensive side. We opted for the lunchtime set menu, choosing to each have 2 courses and share the starter/dessert! So, for starters we ordered the Honduran pork balls then both had burgers for mains (my partner, the one entitled THO - the hot one, me, the chorizo burger.) Our waitress kindly went and retrieved the evening menu which had full descriptions of these as she wasn't sure what they were! The Honduran pork balls were spicy, fresh and crispy with a huge amount of pork, although a homemade chilli sauce would have been nice. The burgers were well seasoned and chargrilled if a little flat. The burger buns were bog standard from a box sadly....brioche please!! I asked for no sauce on the burger but wish I'd said no salad or pickles as there were quite a lot mingled into my burger :-( The chorizo on mine and the cheese on both burgers was ok. Unfortunately, the chips could have done with being a bit crispier and the coleslaw was somewhat hidden under the chips! We went on to have the sticky toffee pudding which was average although the accompanying sauce was very nice with once again, average ice cream. Suffice to say, it was a MASSIVE improvement from our last visit but could still do with a few easy to make tweaks. I had to laugh that my partner commented he felt that the plate the burger came on made him feel like he was eating from a trough!!! Hats off must go to our waitress who was friendly, attentive and happy to answer questions. The bill came to under £30 which I think was very respectable. Would we return.....probably in a few months to see the next set of improvements!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
browns-newark, Owner at Brown's Cafe Bistro and Bar, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thanks for returning back to us and pleased to hear that you enjoyed the visit. We look forward to your next visit.

“Such a shame.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

My wife and I visited on Valentines day, dropping in for a quick cocktail before taking a taxi in to town. Having 30 minutes to spare we thought one drink before the pre booked taxi arrived we would easily have time. We ordered paid and waited and waited and waited. After returning to the bar twice to say we were getting short on time our drinks arrived with 2 minutes to spare.

As this is our local we took the kids yesterday for some food and a drink. Bar not that busy but the staff made them selves busy doing absolutely nothing. Arriving at 6.15 pm for food and a drink, things soon went down hill.

First we had to clear our table of used plates and glasses. These were place an another table close and were still sitting there when we left.

At the bar that classic line, yes the one we heard the previous Friday "please take a seat I will bring your drinks over shortly" we uttered.

Our food actually arrived before the drinks, the food its self arrive because I went over the warming trays having sat looking at the plates sat there for nearly ten minutes!!

It must have been the prompt, seeing me walking around the kitchen for the staff to ask if they could help me. I asked for the drinks that I had paid for over 25 minutes earlier (which did take a further 5 minutes to come) and for a cutlery for the kids to eat with.

We were offered a complimentary drink or desert when I complained however with the kids bedtime already passed we opted not to bother.

Oh well it looks like we are back to the Tawney Owl, (shockingly bad food but at least you get served within 30 minutes).

Such a shame, Browns is within throwing distance of our house but if the staff cannot be bothered then other establishment will get our business.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thanks for the review, clearly although you seem to be happy with the quality of the food and drink the service was not up to our usual high standard. We work hard on staff training so this is most disappointing to hear.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Best Restaurant in Newark”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

My wife and I moved to Newark 2 1/2 years ago and have not found a better restaurant here than Browns. The food is great, the staff are always friendly and remember you! To me that personal touch shows that they actually care about their customers and their business. I'm not saying every meal is perfect, but we only had a problem once, and they could not do enough to put it right even though they were incredibly busy at the time. We once had a meal on a Wednesday night and they had no hot sauce in, so the chef whipped some up for us, and it was incredible. He made such a large amount they even filled a bowl up and let us take it home. The drinks are fabulous as well, and very reasonably priced, even though the location could lead to a "captive audience" syndrome. In fact, all the prices are very reasonable for the quality, and there is a great variety on the menu for the size of the restaurant. My only real complaint is that it is so good and so tempting that it's really dinting any dieting attempts. Please keep up the hard work and fantastic service Browns!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
So pleased to hear that you enjoy our humble abode, and of course we will still continue to tempt you in with our tasty dishes and great drinks.
“St Valentines night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We are regulars at Browns but felt that the meal we had on St Valentine's night was extra special. Excellent three course menu, service was of its usual high calibre and Louise made the an excellent host. As usual we drank too much as the atmosphere is just right.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks for the review and glad that you enjoyed your visit.
“Didn't want to leave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Thanks again browns bar for another fantastic meal. Decided to take my sisters and their kids the other evening as they had not visited before. The waitress was great with the kids and brought over an old phone that kept them entertained through the whole meal. We all felt so relaxed (which could have been due to all the 2-4-1 cocktails we enjoyed) that we didn't realise the time and if it wasn't for the kids needing to go home to bed we would have stayed the whole night. We all plan on returning soon.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
browns-newark, Owner at Brown's Cafe Bistro and Bar, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to submit the review and I am really pleased that you and your children had a great time with us