“Excelent service, Thank You!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Danube

Danube
25 Castle Gate, Newark-on-Trent NG24 1AZ, England (Formerly The Danube)
+44 1636 610661
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: German, Eastern European, Central European, Healthy
Newark upon Trent, null, United Kingdom
“Excelent service, Thank You!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I went there for Orthodox Easter special menu! Food was fabulous, very good value for money and the best service ever. Thank you Ramona, John and staff!

• Visited May 2013

Grantham, United Kingdom
“Large Portions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We went along due to other reviews on here that were excellent and we weren't disappointed the portion size were massive. For starters I had smoked haddock fish cake a meal on its own, my hubby had frikadellen ( a pork type of burger) then for mains I had chicken in a tomato and leek sauce and hubby had chicken schnitzel which filled his plate we had a dauphoise potatoes and roasted veg between us and we were very full! Well recommended it was very quiet on our visit. Fantastic pictures on the walls.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Friendly service, something a bit different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Came here for the first time with family after they had been several times previously and raved about it. As expected we weren't disappointed. The menu was really varied and a bit unusual, with the eastern european style meaning there were the kind of dishes you don't see around so much - can definitely recommend the wiener schnitzel!

The staff were really friendly and always tried to accommodate as much as possible - although one waitress didn't seem to quite know what she was doing, bringing the wrong food and drinks out, meant for other tables, several times!

It was also quite reasonably priced for the food and service offered.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Could not be more welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I booked a table at the Danube for 12 for my wife's 40th birthday. We had a ball: nothing was too much to ask for. My mother-in-law dropped the cake off in the morning and decorated the table and was asked to stay for coffee. My wife was given a glass of sparkling wine on arrival and the kids in the party were made to feel welcome. Service was a bit 'relaxed', but then there were 12 of us and the rest of the restaurant was quite busy. There is a lunch menu, £8.75 for two courses, but I think most people went a la carte. I had gravad lax for a starter and then roast pork for my main; the pork wasn't really as described, but it was tender and well flavoured. Other food included meatballs, schnitzel, a vegetarian crumble and fish cakes. We had a mixture of wine (a very nice Romanian Sauvignon Blanc) and beer (various lagers and wheatbeers), the kids also had fruit juice, coke, and home-made lemonade. Dessert was the birthday cake, sliced for us at the table. All very nice. Coffees and whatever to finish; the bill was about £230, or about £25 a head - good value for the quality of the food and the service.
The only bad points were the toilets - my daughter managed to lock herself in one but was soon rescued with a screwdriver and the door to the other didn't close easily. Minor points. Splendid food and very nice people.

Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Food, Value & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Took my wife out on a date. Did an Internet search for somewhere new to eat and The Danude came top of the list. Having now eaten there I can understand why they are no one in Newark. Quality of food and service absolutely outstanding nothing too much trouble but not too overpowering either. Value for money also excellent. Will go again and would definitely recommend.