“Lovely coffee” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Dessert, Spanish, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Breakfasts, made-to-order sandwiches and lite bites, made-to-order lunch menu, home-made cakes (made daily) using local producers and suppliers wherever possible.Friday nights - Tapas & Live Jazz - menu available from 5pm - live jazz from 6pm with solo artists, duos, trios and the occasional quintet- all included in the price of your meal.Last Thursday of the month - Live Jazz Sessions from 7.30pm with lite menu.
leicestershire
“Lovely coffee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

What a nice surprise this place is, clean, friendly and really good coffee, the cakes are home made and extremely delicious, saw some sandwiches come out for other customers and they looked nicely served too. Good place to go when in Newark

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
MatShort, Owner at Stray's, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Hi Winks6,

thanks for taking a moment to share your review with the TripAdvisor community. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and also that you noted we make 'really good coffee' - it's the bedrock of our business and we've been setting the pace in Newark since 2002.

We pride ourselves not only on the standard of our food and drinks but also on the surroundings and it's good to know that you appreciate and mentioned this too - I will pass it on to the team who work very hard to maintain the standard here.

We look forward to seeing you again soon, maybe for a sandwich with your coffee?!

Eastmidlander
“Jazz and Tapas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Wonderful evening of delicious food and wine accompanied by Jazz. Strays is a series of rooms which create a unique restaurant. Tapas portions were most generous and the staff extremely helpful and friendly. Jazz was being performed in another room so it wasn't possible to see the performance only hear it in the distance. Although the jumble of rooms in this historic building give it charm and interest which compensated for not being able to see the musicians perform.

• Visited July 2013
MatShort, Owner at Stray's, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hola Eastmidlander,

I'm glad you enjoyed your evening and thanks for your positive words about our little family business.

And next time you're coming over, just reserve a table in plenty of time to make sure you get a jazz-side seat in our covered courtyard. The music is so much better when you're up close and personal. The best way is to join our mailing list (via our website) and we'll keep you informed about who's playing, what's happening etc.

I'll pass on your comments about or friendly staff too - they'll appreciate that.

See you next time,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Relaxed and Refreshing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Had a lovely evening with live jazz and mouth watering Tapas. The choice of food was excellent and all very tasty. The welcome and atmosphere was brilliant and the premises are very unique with lots of little nooks & crannies. It was very relaxed and the staff were attentive and very friendly. Went with girl friends but will definitely return with my partner. Downside - I shouldn't have had the double chocolate cheesecake desert! my eyes were definitely bigger than my belly, although having eaten most of it my belly felt like exploding!

MatShort, Owner at Stray's, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hola Shazza240,

I so pleased you had a good night with us. And I know exactly what you mean about the cheesecake - when it's in front of you, it's hard to resist!

We look forward to seeing you with your partner next time you're over and thanks for taking the time to review Stray's.

London
“The Barista Experience-unique and great fun :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I booked the Barista experience at Stray's as it was the only thing like it in the country that I could find where fun and the barista experience were the focus, not "learn how to be" or barista school,and it was exactly what I was looking for.
I booked it as a birthday treat for my partner who loves his coffee :) Stray's has a passion for coffee and Mat who I had been communicating with about specific needs and tailoring the event was brilliant and very accommodating. Good communication leading up to event day and exceeded expectations on the actual day.
We arrived at Stray's as agreed around 5pm and there was a table and area reserved with a sign, our orders were taken and Katherine, who was brilliant demonstrated what was to come for my partner! we started with a lovely relaxed drink,then while I chatted away with friends, my partner learnt the ways and whereabouts of coffee, how to make the perfect cappuccino, etc. we picked cake and gorged on the delicious home made (upstairs) cakes that were to die for. The lattes,cappuccinos, mochas and designs that were being placed before us wowed :)
He got a fab apron stating he had "Strayed" and a certificate that he had achieved the barista experience. Really, really, good fun and definitely recommended to coffee lovers.
We also had tapas which was tasty, fresh ingredients and plentiful :)
oh and we had the place to ourselves, which made it more special :)
thanks to Liz and everyone at Stray's, a great experience for all of us and especially enjoyed by the birthday boy.

MatShort, Owner at Stray's, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hi JJlonetraveller,

I'm really pleased you ventured outside of the 'smoke' up to our little market town and even more so, that you had a good night with us.

The Barista experience was designed to cater to coffee fanatics who fancy having a go, without having to pay hundreds of pounds over several days for the privilege. I'm glad it was just the ticket and also rather pleased that we seem to be the only people doing it in this way!

I'll pass on your compliments to Kat and Liz who both said they enjoyed the session too - makes it much nicer for everyone when we all get a buzz out of what we do.

I'm glad your partner liked the Stray's apron too - something to take away and remember us by.
I hope we get to see you again sometime soon and thanks for your rave review of our business - it means a lot to us.

Retford, United Kingdom
“Always a good choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is a little gem that offers a wide range of sandwiches, light bites and heftier plates. The cakes are to die for! Always good portion sizes and good value for money. Children catered for in both food and drinks.They play jazz as background music which is such a change from the usual mindless pop blairing out. Jazz evenings and Friday Tapas are also excellent options. If you want just a coffee or lunch in a civilised atmosphere Stray's is worth a visit. Never had to wait very long since they have expanded their table areas. 10/15 mins max at any time.

MatShort, Owner at Stray's, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hi JanetW403,

thanks for your review and I really appreciate your kind words. It's good to see that you've mentioned some of the elements that make us stand out from the crowd and I'm glad you like what we do.

I look forward to serving you a good portion of jazz infused coffee and cakes when you're next in and thanks again from all of us here.