“Newark wouldn't be Newark without Stray's” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Dessert, Spanish, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Breakfasts, made-to-order sandwiches and lite bites, made-to-order lunch menu, home-made cakes (made daily) using local producers and suppliers wherever possible.Friday nights - Tapas & Live Jazz - menu available from 5pm - live jazz from 6pm with solo artists, duos, trios and the occasional quintet- all included in the price of your meal.Last Thursday of the month - Live Jazz Sessions from 7.30pm with lite menu.
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Newark wouldn't be Newark without Stray's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Newark wouldn't be Newark without Stray's..............relaxing, child friendly, fab food AND books......what more could you want? Oh fab coffee - they do that too :)

Hi All-4-of-us2013,

thanks for your lovely sentiments about our business being synonymous with Newark. After almost ten years of making coffee, cakes and treats for the good folks of Newark, it's nice to know we're becoming part of the fabric of this bustling market town.

And thanks for mentioning the coffee - it's something that's dear to my heart and we pride ourselves making the best in town.

I look forward to seeing you next time you're in and thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Regards

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A thoroughly enjoyable evening and food with a difference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I treated my friend for her birthday to the Jazz and Tapas evening on Friday. To be honest we didn't know what to expect - but it was fantastic. The food is delicious, well cooked and presented - and both the wine and beers first class traditional Spanish. Even catering superbly for me - a fussy vegetarian
The jazz duo added to the ambience, but not too loud.
I never have a desert, but I did here!!!
Go for it. We shall be going again

Hi coronation186356,

it's great to know that we exceeded your expectations - it's always nice when you're not sure what to expect and you get more than you bargained for! I'll pass this on to the table staff and manager - they'll be pleased to hear it.

And it's good to get feedback about the jazz on our tapas & jazz nights. The musicians aim to play to the audience and as such, Steve and John will be glad to know they're getting it right for their audience.

I'm not surprised you succumbed to the desserts either - once you see the selection, it's hard to walk away without ordering isn't it!?

Thanks very much for taking the time to post your review on our business and we look forward to seeing you with us again soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“The best night out in months!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

At the end of a busy week, this was exactly what I needed. Brilliant food, great wine and an all-round excellent experience. I will definitely be coming back - I haven't had food this good in a long time. I loved every minute!

Hi Nic M,

thanks for your rave about us! It's good to hear that we rounded your week off in a good way and that you'll be coming back. I'll pass on your comments to Liz and the team at Tapas y Stray's as they work hard to deliver a night to remember and reviews like yours make it all worthwhile.

Thanks again and we'll see you soon.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

It's interesting how important Tripadvisor is becoming not only to punters but to business owners, I am on Strays email list having been a customer for years, the owner has sent an email out canvassing for positive reviews having received some negative ones. Newark is a very competitive market for eating places and as such TA is perhaps open to some tactical reviewing which clearly does happen, not necessarily in this case but a certainty that it does happen, I don't believe everything I read on here that's for sure. My review of Strays is that whilst not perfect it clearly is good, the coffee is excellent, the food is of good quality, the owner clearly goes to some lengths re sourcing of ingredients and preparing on the premises etc, having tried other places in Newark Strays is right up there in terms of a coffee and a light bite. Tried the Jazz Tapas evening on a Groupon voucher, premises doesn't lend itself to this as unless you are in the room with the Jazz then it's not really a Jazz evening. The Tapas is of good quality but expensive, what we had at full price would have cost £50 ish and it wasn't worth that.
You could say that Strays is a victim of its own success as I am sure any service issues would be due to it being so busy. I have only had one where my meal was forgotten, after asking food was bought but was of poor quality so I asked for my money back and got it.
To sum up Strays is good, its not cheap but I spose you get what you pay for, the owner goes to some lengths and doesn't just go to the Cash and Carry to get the ingredients. If in Newark give it a try.I have gone 3 star as here is no star rating for "good".

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
MatShort, Owner at Stray's, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hi ironman523,

thanks for your review and for recognising that we can be 'good', even if we're not perfect! You're right about the quality aspects of our business and as you say, we source good quality ingredients because we would expect nothing less wherever we go to eat ourselves.

However, I would like to point out a couple of things. Firstly, the Tapas ingredients are all sourced from Spain, again to ensure quality. So with regards to cost, they are not cheap because you can buy cheap tapas in many places. They are however, top quality and as such, cost a little more. You didn't mention how many of you ate out. While we don't prioritise the jazz seats for LivingSocial vouchers, had you been on a regular menu, then you'd have been able to specify jazz seats - at no extra cost to you. Secondly, if there were two of you, your spend per head would be £25, including your wine. Or alternatively if there were four of you, then it becomes even less. I'm not sure where else you would go out for authentic imported foods and live music for much less?

And as an aside, we are currently going through the process of having a new area built to allow around 50 diners to have jazz-side seats of an evening - no good to you now I realise but exciting for the future!

I think you're right about our success and the challenges that come with it - I also appreciate you taking the time to write your review and sharing your thoughts with the TA community.

I look forward to seeing you again soon and thanks again for your review.

Farndon, null, United Kingdom
“Perfect for coffee, lunch and a night out too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Living not far from Newark, I always choose this venue for a coffee over the many more in the town, due to its buzz and great coffee (and delicious home made cakes too!) The menu choice for lunch is really comprehensive if you need something more substantial and I've always enjoyed great service too. Last Friday some friends and I enjoyed a fabulous night of live Jazz and tapas too and will be definitely going back for more of the same!

• Visited April 2013
MatShort, Owner at Stray's, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hi Julie W,

thanks for your kind words and I know what you mean about the 'buzz' - it's part of what makes our place a little different. Really glad you ventured into the dark side for Tapas and pleased that you enjoyed it.

I look forward to serving you another great coffee when you're next in town.