“Small portions, quite pricey, but great for special occasions” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Cafe Bleu, a unique fine dining restaurant situated next to the remains of the castle on the banks of the river Trent in the thriving market town of Newark upon Trent.With hand painted walls & vibrant canvesses by locally artist restaurant Cafe Bleu is Newarks premier fine dining experience.Using only locally sourced, organic ingredients our team of chefs have developed a menu to inspire the taste buds. Their experience gained from working at Maze in London, Northcote manor & Stapleford park ensure each dish creates truly memorable experience for all our guests.
Caythorpe, England
“Small portions, quite pricey, but great for special occasions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I booked this for my wife's birthday and our 24th wedding anniversary meal. My wife was a little concerned before going because of the change in menu. We arrived 20 minutes early and were shown to a table for two towards the rear of the restaurant, close to the access to the garden. The one slight issue was the low sun coming through the door to the garden made the seating a little uncomfortable, until the sun disappeared behind the trees. This was slightly annoying, when another couple arrived about 10 minutes after we had and were offered a choice of where to sit. Small niggle, but in my mind stops a full 5 rating this time.
The restaurant is well presented, has two levels and a garden area, can accommodate 100+ on my estimate if using all areas.
Now the food, I am not a fan of those establishments that charge £17 for a fish main course, but vegetables etc are served as an extra @ £3.50+. My wife started with soup, served in a brilliant bowl the size of a hat, but the soup was actually quite small. For mains I had Bream, small piece, and broccoli covered with Stilton. My wife ate blade of beef and ordered a side order of fries. Portions are not large, but the food was perfect. We finished with cherry panna cotta type creation, which was small, but absolutely yummy, not really worth £6.
This is a really nice restaurant, the staff are absolutely fantastic, you can have a laugh with them, they are attentive, without being over the top, so interesting to see some others comments regarding service. In total with two beers and two wines, the bill came to £79, without tip.
I do recommend this restaurant if you are looking for something special, if you want a more substantial meal, then look elsewhere.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

lincs, England
“Portions don't match the prices.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We eventually got round to visiting Cafe Bleu after hearing rave reviews from friends, but after looking at recent reviews on here I was somewhat wary. We had a great evening with just a couple of niggles. We found the majority of the staff to be very friendly, with the exception of the lady who greeted us on arrival - she wasnt unfriendly , just a bit cold. We were seated downstairs near the bar, our table was in full glare of the setting sun but we did not ask to be moved as we knew the sun would have gone down within the next half hour and presumed all the empty tables were reserved. After ordering our food a couple were shown to the table next to us, but they were offered a choice of tables, in my opinion, if this is offered to one set of customers it should be offered to all. It also turned out that the empty tables were not reserved.Perhaps we're not beautiful enough to seat in the window?Up until this point our allocated table had not bothered me, but after that I felt irked.
The food was good but portions were very small. My soup came in a huge soup plate with the smallest well in the middle for the soup, it was delicious and I could easily have eaten twice as much. Main courses were also very tasty but £7 extra for fries and broccoli is taking the you know what.
This was a lovely meal with good service but as the title of my review says, the portions don't match the prices.

Almerimar, Spain
“50th Wedding Anniversary lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Lovely location with a nice outside garden area. Staff seemed somewhat clueless and service was extremely slow prior to the meal. The quality of the food in general was excellent, perhaps a little on the pricey side. Once they get their act fully together their rating will rise.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Basingstoke
“Great food, service is lacking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful meal here, all the plates that came out of the kitchen were beautiful there was not a scrap left. Just wish that they pay the same attention to the service, lovely hot rolls served, no side plates, tiny scrap of butter left on table, had to ask for plates, had to ask for butter twice, when struggling to choose main I asked for what they recommend.... Blank face and a shrug is what I got back. Don't get me wrong this wont stop me from going back but with great service I would be more inclined to recommend and visit more often

• 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Losing the plot?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have used this restaurant for both lunch and dinner on an occasional basis for over ten years.

I have asserted to friends and family that it is the best quality food restaurant that we have found in Newark and the area around for a twenty mile radius.

The food has always been good, interesting and well presented and cooked. The wine list quite interesting and well priced and the service helpful without being pushy.

Our visit last Thursday may have been an off day but I left disappointed for the first time.

Their French bread served in a basket has always been excellent. Served warm and freshly cut. When we have praised it in the past we were told it was bought in part baked and finished in the restaurant. This has been replaced with rolls that are warm but not of the same quality.

The waitress tried to pour the whole bottle of wine we ordered into our three glasses, she managed three quarters. As soon as we had finished the bottle, during the mains, we were offered another bottle which I felt was pushy and different from their previous style.

I ordered the Moules Frites from the lunchtime specials. I felt it a good sign when my two companions were served before me and the bowl of mussels were then brought. Unfortunately not, as they were very overcooked and shrunken in their shells, I had to prise out the remains from the shells and felt they had been cooked earlier rather then freshly. They were also served with mignon potatoes rather than frites and they were tepid and limp. When I queried this I was told that frites were not on that day, although they were clearly on the menu and nothing was said when I ordered. The waitress offered to replace the mussels but as we were all eating it did not seem acceptable for me to watch the others eat while waiting for more mussels to be prepared. I noticed another table where three people had moules and in my opinion theirs too were substantially overcooked.

To round off my disappointment my expresso coffee, served after my companions had had dessert was quite cool. I was told that was the temperature that expresso coffee comes out of their machine.

No further acknowledhement of my comments was made when the bill was presented.

So overall my previous enthusiasm for visiting this restaurant has been rather dampened.

Perhaps it was an off day, or a sign of declining performance despite the premium prices.

• Visited June 2013