“Turi Beach Resort is over-rated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Turi Beach Resort

You added Turi Beach Resort to your Saves list
Turi Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. Hang Lekiu, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29465, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
Last Minute From S$116
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
Singapore
“Turi Beach Resort is over-rated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

I read the reviews on TripAdvisor before i decided to book this hotel 3 months ago with my trusted agent Holiday Bagus. However it turned out to be a not so pleasant trip for me.

Firstly, We had to wait for 2.5 hrs to check in as they claim they had no rooms. We waited and saw lots of people arriving later than us BUT checking in first. I had booked my package 3 months ago so i was wondering why we could not check in first since there are still many empty rooms. Also requested for a connecting room (3 months ago!) which unfortunately, didn't get it and that caused lots of inconvenience for my whole family.

Secondly, when we finally got our room (103 and 104), we stepped in to see used towers and used soap/shampoo in the rooms as if our rooms were not house-kept before we checked in. Ok fine, i called housekeeping and told them to bring some new towels as we will be going swimming first. When we came back, there are still no towels and we had to wait coldly out there for them to bring us some which took like 20 mins. There were mud stains on the floor and the room is not clean and bed is too soft as we sink in after lying on it.

Thirdly, the hotel staff kept wanting to charge us for extra bed/extra breakfast which we had paid for in advance and luckily i brought my invoice with me so that they can verify.

There is a hotel spa and me and my sister tried that. Receptionist speaks good english and she is the only one who probably can understand us. Packages not cheap compared to other bintan/batam hotels. Abt S$150 for 2 hrs. Worst part, we got bitten big time by lots of mosquitos at the 'spa room' which is actually a ' attap chalet' beside the forested area.

Lastly, some of the positive side to our trip is the Turi beach view. All rooms face the beach. They have this island bar and a long bridge out to the waters which is quite therapeutic to walk along. The swimming pool is small but great.
Outside the hotel, we had dinner at 'Amazon' which is a kelong restaurant at the Nongsa Pura Ferry Terminal. Very nice experience and service there compared to the hotel's service, and expensive so-so food.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 16, 2010
Dear Ms. Toh,

Season’s Greetings from Turi Beach Resort!

I am very sorry to learn that your accommodation was not ready on arrival.

With no intention to justify this event, I would like to share with you that we have different room types in each wing of the resort. If any guest checked in before you is not because we gave them priority over you.

Being a leisure destination, most of our guests stretch their check out time resulting in occasional check in delays.

Regarding the rest of your accommodation comments, I will review them with my rooms division team to make sure that our quality control system is followed consistently.

Glad to share with the Spa team your favourable and relaxing experience in the Spa.

If your schedule allows, I would be delighted to personally welcome you back in Turi Beach Resort during your next vacation break.

Thank you very much for your valuable comments.

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

antonio@nongsaresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

Just had a lovely stay at the Turi Beach resort. We stayed there Mon-Wed so not too many people, but I have the feeling that it is quiet all the time. At night, all we could hear was the breeze and the occasional chattering of a squirrel. We stayed in a Deluxe room, which turned out to be an air-conditioned cabin just above the sea. Very clean and well-appointed, complete with four poster bed (recommend you put down the mosquito nets at night as they go come hunting for you...). We enjoyed wonderful massages at the spa by very talented and sweet Indonesian ladies. My wife is five months pregnant and they took great care to give her a pre-natal massage that sent her right off to sleep. Didn't try any of the various water sports because we were on a lazy break, but it seemed like there were lots to choose from. The beach is a bit rocky and not good for a swim, but the pool is lovely and we just read and snoozed the day away in a pool-side cabana.

We also enjoyed playing pool in the comfortable bar and singing karaoke in a private room.

The staff is incredibly warm, friendly, and helpful. The only reasons I gave the hotel a four and not a five were the lack of a really good swimming beach and food that was quite good but not yet excellent.

Perfect place for a quiet hideaway break.

Dear Blue Indigo SG,

Christmas greetings from Nongsa Resorts!

We are delighted to learn that you had a very enjoyable and relaxing experience during your leisure break in Turi Beach Resort.

If we can be of any assistance to you or your network, you are most welcome to contact me at your convenience.

Glad to welcome you back in Turi Beach during your next leisure break.

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

The stay was excellent, except for the food at Taming Sari Restaurant. We ordered Ayam Penyet, Assam Pedas Ikan and Beef Steak for dinner. The ayam (chicken) was so small I thought it was a pigeon. The Assam Pedas Ikan (fish cooked in tamarin juice and chilli) supposed to be an Indonesian cuisine and thought cannot go wrong ordering it, turned out to be salty and not at all sour. The beef steak was the worst...thought we order chewing gum!! It was tough. Food was warm and not hot from the stove.
Hope the resort will look into their F&B and improve, it will be perfect for a get away!

Dear Lin,

Season’s greetings from Turi Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your dining experience in Taming Sari Cafe.

On behalf of the Taming Sari team, please accept our sincere apologies for not being able to fully deliver an enjoyable meal. Please let me know your email address to further elaborate on this event.

Glad to review that the rest of the facilities and services were up to your satsifaction.

Thank you for your time and assistance to make Turi Beach Resort the leading resort in Batam.

Wishing you and your family a great time during these festivities.

Happy New Year!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Prior to my stay at Turi Beach resort, i had read a couple of reviews on Trip advisor and began to feel apprehensive about my decision to choose Turi for a quick getaway. To cut the long story short, I've just returned from a 3D/2N stay with my girlfriend and we insisted on writing a review straightaway!!! And to all those still contemplating a short trip to Turi Beach resort, i suggest you not let the negative reviews deter you. Instead, take a leap of faith and experience for yourself what Turi has to offer. I promise you wouldn't regret your decision one bit.

I made the decision to book a weekday package from the 17-19 nov at Turi despite my exams starting on the 22nd and i must say it was so worth giving up my study time for this 3D/2N experience. I like the fact that everything from the point you get off the ferry at nongsapura till the time your get back onto the ferry to head back to Singapore was so well taken care of. A hotel staff greeted me upon my arrival and proceeded to settle my return trip for me. It was well organized and more importantly, it made my trip hassle free and I could concentrate on just enjoying myself

Hotel:
Upon arrival, i was impressed by the hotels infrastructure and surroundings. It was perfect for a resort styled hotel and on top of tht, it was clean, decent beaches, and suprisingly clear waters, though abit roack at the sides. I booked a Tirta premier room and was more than just pleased with what I saw. Room was spacious, cozy, had a high ceiling and a patio that overlooked the sea. Immediately, whatever previous apprehensions i had of Batam and Turi, disappeared totally.

Food:
Food was ok. Taming sari cafe and Cinta manis serve international and local cuisine and was acceptable. Its a little pricey though, expect to play SGD9-12++ (and tax is 21% mind you. more than singapore). On our last night, we ate at the Teppenyaki restaurant which was surprising good. My girlfriend had a "surf and turf" meal for $21 and i had fish, prawn and beef teppenyaki set for $23. servings were generous and we both enjoyed our food. Its much recommended for those willing to fork out a little more money. The only downside was a llack of places to eat. After 3 days, we found ourselves a little tired of eating at the same places. Would have been good if the Island bar was open. That place just oozes of potential. hahah. So if any of you are staying for longer periods, i would suggest u head out to the town for some of your meals.

Activities:
I had read some reviews about there being nothing to do especially on the weekdays, but personally, i was there for 3 days and i never once felt bored. The sea sports center had a wide enough range of stuff to do. Pricing is quite normal for a resort and they give a 10% discount. The waters are clear, thus i would recommend heading out to the 220m jetty to snorkle. fishes there are aplenty and some are quite big. We managed to spend 1/2hr on the jetski for $58 and that was good fun. wished we had more time to try out the other stuff as well. Was a little disappointed that we couldnt do the rock wall though. We asked the staff from the day we arrived till the day we left but they said that we couldnt do it. no reason given, but being the guy i am, I just let it go and didnt question them further.
We also had a massage at the spa which was ok but i found it a little too expensive at $58++. I was a little upset though that i had to pay an extra $10+ tax when the website stated that it was $58nett (http://www.turibeach.com/images/events/nongsaexperience.html). Perhaps it should be updated to be more consistent and to avoid further confusion. During a previous trip to Bintan, at Nirwana Resorts, i paid only $50 for a 1 for 1 massage. AND THEY CAME ALL THE WAY TO MY ROOM TO DO IT. If i may suggest, having a couples package would be quite suitable given the type of crowd that I saw during my stay there, majority were couples. And perhaps, offering in-room massage option would be good for those who are feeling lazy and would much prefer to remain in the comfort of their own rooms. Personally, i was very pleased when i found out that Nirwana offered such a service.

Service:
WORLD CLASS. Probably the best service i've experienced in any hotel i've been to. I dunno what other reviewers have to complain about the service at Turi. I guess much stems from you as a person. If you expect to be treated like a King and act like a King, then i guess no one would ever be able to meet your lofty demands. But if you go there with an open and happy heart, trust me, you will be well attended to. I'm not sure how to describe my experience with the staff at Turi. Its not the usual great service you get from the hospitality industry. I mean, providing great service is just expected when you are a guest at a hotel. But at Turi Beach, the experience is different. What sets them apart from other hotels is the fact that i could feel that they were extremly genuine. Genuinely nice people who love what they do for a living. The staff seem to enjoy their work alot. And i think that plays a role in the service that they provide. I mean they are so helpful and cheerful and it rubs off onto us as guest. I've read a couple of reviews mentioning Iqbal, and i got to meet with the Legend during breakfast on our last day. And i must confirm what fellow reviewers' had to say about him. Upon entering Taming Sari for our breakfast, we were quickly attended to by a man. He offered to serve us coffee, checked our preference for eggs, and even toasted our bread for us. In our heads we were thinking, "isnt this a buffet? why is there such great service at a buffet? dont we normally get food ourselves?" This man then proceeded to serve us our coffee, bread and eggs just the way we wanted it. When we looked at his name tag, "Iqbal" says it all. Its an honour to finally meet the Turi Legend himself and all i've heard about him was true. Great guy, great service. :)

We left with a heavy heart. sad and disappointed that our trip has finally come to an end. even up to the point when we were checking out, we were still contemplating extending our stay. But my exams were calling and i needed to study. If i do badly, i'll have no job when i graduate next year. Or maybe, Turi beach would hire me :) haha. Unfortunately, disaster struck on my way back to Singapore. i misplaced my camera and lost alll my wonderful photos that we took. I'm still reeling from the pain. All the memories that i was soooo excited to show my friends back home, all gone :( That being said, i'm extremely greatful for the experience the Turi team has given my girlfriend and I. and we will defintely be back very soon. Hopefully in December.. this time to recapture the memories and i'll make sure i tie the camera to my body the next time round.

To the management of Turi: keep up the great work. You have a great bunch of staff and they really make the Turi experience worthwhile. And you're hearing this from an undergraduate 2 days away from his final exams and unprepared.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
Dear Mr. Yang and girlfriend,

Season’s greetings from Turi Beach!

Please accept my sincere apologies for not acknowledging earlier your experience feedback.

We all at Turi Beach feel very special after reading your detailed and complete Trip Advisor assessment review.

Your review has been placed in all department notice boards and shared amongst all the staff in their relevant briefings and meetings.

Mr. Mino – Director of Food & Beverage – will be delighted to personally take care of you and your girlfriend during your next visit offering you our dining destination menus for a richer culinary experience in the island bar or the jetty.

Rock climbing wise, Mr. Amin in charge of the water sports and activity department will make sure that you can enjoy rock climbing during your next stay (keep me updated on your next visit dates to pre-book a session).

Regarding the Spa price, thank you for noticing the typo error. The price has been already updated on the web; we will be glad to credit to your account with the price difference during your next visit.

Your in room massage for couples recommendation is in the hands of Ms. Arunika – Spa Manager – for review and implementation within the first quarter of 2011.

Thank you very much for Mr. Iqbal comments, …, he will be publicly recognized for his contribution to our company and for his multiple appearances in Trip Advisor during the staff X’mas party in December 2010.

Finally I am really sorry to hear about the lost of your camera and all the memories that you have captured.

Wish you had a successful exam’s period and we have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to Turi in December.

Have a great festive season!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

We have heard and read many reviews about the resort's services and food, etc.
Most of them were negative feedbacks and for myself, personally do not feel
like staying there.

Under my husband's persuasion, my whole family packed our bags and visited Turi
Beach Resort on Saturday 23/10/2010 - 2D1N.

Upon arrival and departure at the ferry terminal, a well spoken service man from the resort greet us with a big smile! We reached the resort after a 5 min drive and stayed at Riani wing Room 0141, the furthest, which is a long walk from the main lobby. The reception guy should have given us a room nearer to the pool as we have two very young children with us. This is the only complaint we have.

To my surprise, we really enjoyed our stay there. Food is great, service is average but in my opinion, the mangement have done a good job and efforts in proofing most of the crtics wrong.

We are still in the process of getting a room during the November school holidays to celebrate my son's 8th birthday there. This time, we will stay at Tirta wing for a change and to Mr. Canovas, many thanks for your prompt replys to all our emails. We believe under your service and guidance, you will make each of our stays at Turi beach resort a memorable one!

Take care and hope to see you soon.....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2010
Dear Mrs. Chong,

Glad to read to your Trip Advisor post.

Thank you very much for your personal review and additional email communications.

All well noted and action.

I look forward meeting you and your family during your next trip in December.

If you need any assistance prior to your arrival, please let me know.

Cheers,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

We stay there from 17-19 Sept and its meant to celebrate our 5th Anniversary with my hubby. We booked from agent a kind sized bedroom but instead we got a double beded room instead request for a change of room but staff said that all room fully booked and push the blame to my agent. Nvm, i called my agent to confirm and its confirm that we had made the correct room reservation. No room changes for us the first night and we got to sleep seperatly.

The 2nd nite we got a room change, but the room air con spoilted. The whole room wad so stuffy. Called the operator and they sent 2 engineer up twice to repair and check but after they check none came back to tell us how is the aircon problem and still it is still not cold! Called the operator again and they check on it again tis time round it got air coming out but still its warm but am glad the operator did call back and check the aircon problem. But, they did a check 3 times despite our 3 time calling to complain y cant they do anything like for example change a room with aircon for us?

Well, overall i wanna let the management know that me and my hubby is having a very unpleasant stay to celebrate our 5th Anniversary at Turi :(

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Dear Ms. Peggy,

Good afternoon.

Please advice your alternative email address.

I have sent three emails to your attention since your first email on 20th September 2010.

Looking forward to receiving your feedback, I remain.

With best regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

I shall write this review systematically with the rating scales as a guide, with a new scale of food. This review is not sponsored nor am i in anyway related to management staff.

Our combined experience in F&B: 14 years
Room: 208 Tirta Wing Premier room. Duration 3D2N Thurs till Sat Sept
Note to all Singaporeans: no need to change much rupiah. They are well versed in Sing dollar.

On arrival from Singapore, land transfer was already there waiting for us. It would add a certain class if they had sign boards with our names on it. Other than that, it was smooth.

Cleanliness: Why 5 stars? The whole resort is super clean. Hardly saw litter anywhere. Dustbins were easy to find.

Location: It is about 30 mins from Nagoya town where the cheap buys are. Lesson learnt, be daring and head to half the price of everything. Thought I had a good deal when I reduced 120000 rupiah to 100000 for a pair of Oakleys, but just after the deal, saw a shop which was selling it at 50% discount.

Room: It is actually optimistic 3.5 stars as simple measures can be done to up it. Room was excellent, twin bed though a king was preferred due to late booking. Slight concern was that the reading lights by the bed wasnt working. Door bell (or was it) wasnt working. Of more concern was the mini bar fridge had some sticky brown coffee residue in it. Very comfy beds, good linen, high ceiling. Asthetically, some form of art would be nice on the wall. A fan outside for the balcony would be a god send on still warm nights. Another point would be a curtain at the entrance would provide better privacy. All rooms face the sea. It is however very strange that if each day the rooms are entitled to two bottles of water, I wonder why we were charged for it when we asked for a replenishment.

Value: Due to the holidays, demand and supply pumped up the prices of the rooms slightly above the perception of the dollar. We would have stayed another night if it was cheaper or on a goodwill basis of extension. There are two distinct moods that we experienced. A very quiet weekday experience and the very promising full weekend party scene! My partner was very disappointed that the pool bar wasnt manned neither on the thurs or fri that we stayed, but we figured it was more of a ' if there were people swimming, it would be manned ' deployment strategy. If you arent into water sports and spas, then that leaves the club house the only form of entertainment. But it puzzled us as to why food wasnt served there. Bar snacks would have been most excellent. We arent too sure about the directive of the resort as it caters to both couples and families. As a couple, the nightlife was pretty much dead. What would have been spectacular was the the pool bar at the new wing be opened always. It was quite sad to see it unmanned. There is nothing more pleasant than having a drink by the pool or by the beach. The island bar out into the jetty should serve some kind of food as well. So if you want a quiet getaway, weekdays, a lively situation, weekends.

And oh yes, a free internet terminal at the reception would be most useful and appreciated for quick checkups for work. Pamphlets of places of interest would be good too.

Sleep quality: Rooms are quite sound proofed. Can hear the occasional engines or laughter from the children at the pool but no biggie. You are supposed to enjoy the sun at a beach resort. Would have loved a bolster.

And now for the food scale, one that is of major importance especially to a foodie country like Singapore. It is of great regret that of my epicurean palate, it rendered only a pessimistic 2.5 max 3 stars.

The steak at the teppanyaki and grill is one of the toughest I have ever eaten. Asked for medium it came well done. Brought me another one but still....it was leather. I could only manage 3 bites out of it i got so tired of chewing. However, the prawns were of excellent quality.

Singaporeans are steamboat hotpot aficonados. Come to Singapore and experience it and then put it out on the menu. Not this way. The beef slices must be thin, not thick. Two seperate soup styles in one pot is the common theme. And at $25, it should be a buffet. Another downer was that although reservations was made and confirmed twice, the restaurant didnt get it and we had to wait. We were planning to cancel as we were in Nagoya but was told prior that 3pm was the latest we could cancel. We had to rush back for it. But I think they made it up with a discount sort of.

Local fare: Have items like the bakso sapi on the menu. We tried it in the local town mall and it was DELISH! simple honest noodle soup with meatballs and spicy condiments, I could eat that everyday for breakfast! And bring on the fire, the sambal had no kick!

Would have loved so much to try the sat seafood bbq buffet, but we had to leave. We will come back just to experience that!

Service: Ah.. the make or break in any service industry. It must be clearly understood that this is very much a 2 way street. I tend to treat service staff with extra understanding and consideration it is very tiring in the hotel line. So as such, my comments are based on the return of appreciation. That means if you go there waiting to be treated like a king when ur attitude towards the staff is of a subservient type, then you might not get the same treatment as please they are also human. I suppose these reviews would be mostly read by Singaporeans, so drop your impatient attitude at the ferry terminal. Be friends with them. Tip for good service, add a verbal appreciation for the excellent ones.

There is a rare quality of sincerity that stems from their interaction with the guests. They strive to be the best but without that plasticity that reeks of distinct city relations. 90% of the staff I dare say are at the top of their game. The rest of the 10% are probably very tired as I have seen some at breakfast, lunch and dinner service.

Two outstanding staff that I need to mention are Iqbar from the Taming Sari and Franky from reception area. Iqbar is such a sincere young lad, always taking care of both of us. We were treated like VIPs since the first day he met us during breakfast. He even came to say goodbye when his shift ended. It is very rare that other than management staff, service staff would bother to have an interaction with guests. My partner and I were both extremely moved and impressed by him.Be careful we might poach him back to Singapore to be a trainer!

Franky Franky Franky. I met him only during checkout and I had to leave my bags at the counter. At first he was visibly quite disturbed that we went into the bag counter to leave our stuff. I understood his concerns. Things changed dramatically when I addressed him by his name, thanking him for his assistance. He started making jokes with me, teasing me about my ferry details going wrong, even up till the departure gate! It goes to show, one small gesture can go along way, and they appreciate that.

So would we return for another time?: Yes but for off peak rates so that we can stay longer to have a a total built up towards the weekend. And only at the traditional huts because it is a personal preference.

The clincher for us was the attitude, personality and service that we were lucky to be bestowed upon. No hotel can ever get 5 stars if the service staff was bad, no matter how excellent the facilities are. The interaction with both Iqbar and Franky and the rest that we experienced is deemed priceless and thus warrant recognition for their service.

Please do contact me if you need more details.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2010
Dear D_Junkay,

Weekend greetings from Turi Beach!

Please accept my apologies for not acknowledging your feedback earlier.

I want to personally thank you for your detailed review and hospitality insights.

Your comments and recommendations are very valuable and indeed brought to the attention of my team to ensure that we can avoid those shortcomings during your next stay with us.

I am confident that with the new incorporation of Mr. Mino – Director of Food and Beverage – your next culinary experience will be certainly enhanced.

Iqbar and Franky will be recognized for their contribution and personal attention to make your stay a memorable one.

If I can be of any assistance to you or your friends, please contact me at your convenience.

Glad to personally welcome you back during your next stay at the resort.

Have a great week!

antonio@nongsaresorts.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nongsa
Batam View Beach Resort
I Hotel
#13 of 80 in Batam
4.0 of 5 stars 242 reviews
Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Been to Turi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!